So we really can still lose weight, right?

Options
Buckwheat1991
Buckwheat1991 Posts: 2 Member
I'm new to this group. I'm 62 and need to lose 50 lbs. I refuse to think that is not possible because I am over 60 years old. I'm so active and busy all the time. I work full time, and I "feel" young. Isn't 60 the new 50? or 40?

Replies

• sharondtd
    sharondtd Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group, @Buckwheat1991. You are absolutely right. We still can lose weight, get fit(ter), offer encouragement and knowledgeable advice based on science-based research and our VAST life experience. We have refined senses of humor, and...well we're just awesome.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,755 Member
    Options
    Welcome Buckwheat1991. We are over 60 folks losing and/or maintaining weight loss. Glad you decided to join us. We have several threads that might interest you, what's working, interesting read, helpful quotes, etc. We are hear to support and motivate each other. We follow different eating plans, exercise routines, etc. just what ever works for you is what is important. Join in the monthly chat or the monthly self challenge threads as well as the gratitude thread.

All the best on your Journey. I think we are the age we are and age is just a number, it is how you feel that really matters.
  • vicky1947mfp
    vicky1947mfp Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    @Buckwheat1991 - yes you can lose weight after 60. I started at 65 three years ago and lost 30 lbs and am the fittest I have ever been. I love love love walking and aerobic dance classes.

I finally have the time just for me and am using it wisely in my opinion.

Good luck on your journey. You will do this with this wonderful MFP support.
  • bvifun
    bvifun Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    @Buckwheat1991 Welcome. I lost 35 pounds and started when I was 63 and with chronic illness. We may lose weight slower when we are older but (hopefully) we are wiser and more patient so we can keep at it better even when it is too slow. We also no longer follow the crowd but each find our own way and this group is awesome at supporting that.
  • vicky1947mfp
    Options
    bvifun wrote: »
    @Buckwheat1991 Welcome. I lost 35 pounds and started when I was 63 and with chronic illness. We may lose weight slower when we are older but (hopefully) we are wiser and more patient so we can keep at it better even when it is too slow. We also no longer follow the crowd but each find our own way and this group is awesome at supporting that.

B)
  • jeanmrob
    jeanmrob Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Yes we can do it.......and so can you...welcome to the group Buckwheat...hope you find encouragement, support and inspiration here to help you on your way...... :D

Jean
  • CrisEBTrue
    CrisEBTrue Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Yes, we can!

• Buckwheat1991
    Buckwheat1991 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Wow, thank you so very much for all the wonderful responses to my first comment. It is so awesome to feel encouraged by others!!
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,867 Member
    Options
    Yes, we definitely can. 64 years here and I have lost almost 50lbs. I am not sure if our metabolism slows down or because we slow down we just don't burn as much. I try to keep my metabolism going by doing the Leslie Sansone walks at home on youtube. Ideal if the weather is bad. I love walking outside too when the weather is good.

Anyway, just pick what suits you and go for it.
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I've lost 84.5 since coming here and 8 before that. Stll have a little to go.
  • vicky1947mfp
    Options
    Welcome! I've lost 84.5 since coming here and 8 before that. Stll have a little to go.

:)
  • DreamOn145
    DreamOn145 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Wow Charlie, I did had forgotten you have lost that much! How wonderful!

I also think five is wonderful, ten is fantastic, and anything that improves your health, your fitness or your attitude is just plain amazing! Positive energy feeds itseslf!
  • jkjperez
    jkjperez Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Welcome buckwheat. Im 62 and have lost a total of 32 pounds. Im not able to exercise but trying to find different ways.
  • Itreadlightly
    Itreadlightly Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I was worried about that too- so I just started working out and eating right and 20lbs later I know we can!
  • vicky1947mfp
    Options
    Love all these success stories! We oldies rock!! Don't we all feel so much better? I know I do.

We have our 50th hs reunion in September and I can't believe I really belong to that group of "old" people. Some of us have taken better care of ourselves and of course some have been dealt a difficult hand of fate.

And quite a few are no longer with us!!!
  • DreamOn145
    Options
    jkj that is wonderful! Its so difficult to lose when you are not able to exercise. I am going to say though, that I did spend 30 years as a home care nurse and I do wonder if you are considering what one of my patients used to call the "old peoples exercises" and by that I mean mean exercises that can be done from a wheelchair. I don't know your situation, but I do know that stretching exercises with bands, T'ai chi (not familiar with how to do that but people who do T'ai chi might know), and upper body strengthening can all be done sitting. As I said, I don't know your details, but you certainly have done great with that 32 lbs!!!!
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    @jkjperez Tai Chi is a wonderful form of exercise for people with health problems. There are several locations in TX where they teach the form I take: Taoist Tai Chi. It can even be done sitting down if necessary.

In one of my classes, a man started taking Tai Chi only since the beginning of April. Although he is only in his early 50s, he had 3 serious strokes at the age of 36 and was severely paralyzed on one side, couldn't speak, etc. He has gotten back his ability to walk and talk, etc., but has had balance and memory problems persist. He has raved about how his balance has improved since beginning the classes and believes it to be as beneficial as all the PT he went through for years. This will answer some questions if interested: http://www.taoist.org/frequently-asked-questions/

I do a lot of cardio workout, but I have really become a cheerleader for Tai Chi. Although it is done very, very slowly, when I finish a set, my heartrate is up, just like it were an aerobic workout! it is very energizing. Here is a link to a video of the founder of this form called Taoist Tai Chi doing an entire set. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9BFWJsrmSY
  • retirehappy
    Options
    Loving this thread. All the success is great.
  • retirehappy
    Options
    Loving this thread. All the success is great.
  • DreamOn145
    Options
    Charlie, unfortunately they do not have a class in the Taoist T'ai Chi here, but you sparked my interest and I have been searching. I get the amazon streaming videos and they have a bunch of T'ai Chi on there! I am working through the beginners videos to see which ones I really like and have found one that very good instructions for someone just starting. Should we start a T'ai Chi thread? I would certainly follow it!