Choices: Dealing with Anger

Options
SandiW02
SandiW02 Posts: 223 Member
Many times in my life (more than I can count) I turned to food to assist and sooth my soul when I was upset or angry. I am not sure if this is something I was taught or observed, maybe something I even developed on my own. I used to blame my parents for my...humm what should I say....bad eating habits. The reality is they were mine. I was not taught to eat a box of anything and yes I did get a cookie if I was upset now and again (no my parents did not say go run it out) but they taught me I had limits and said no. Basically, my point is dealing with anger away from food is a choice.

Today I got very upset with my husband (over something totally stupid - (he got caught in traffic so I missed the 6:30 Zumba class with my friends and had to go the 8 pm class which has people I know) so I decided I wasn't going (yeah only hurting myself)...yes in the world today I had a selfish moment. The point is I got very angry and the more I stewed the more I thought about the M&M's in the pantry. Yes, typical me. Then I thought DON'T BE STUPID go to Zumba who cares if your friends aren't there they are not the ones with a 283lb behind!!! So I went to Zumba and worked out my anger. Tired - not angry anymore. It was stupid but I mad a choice. Positive. Heading in the right direction. Hoping I can make the same choice again.

Now how about you?

Replies

• Kristy7418
    Kristy7418 Posts: 85
    Options
    Kudos for you for not giving into the anger and going to class!!
    I don't really eat for anger or for sadness or what not I just enjoy eating... especially chocolate. So this has been a pretty big challenge for me. I grew up on convenience foods so that's the way I've eaten since a child. So while I didn't usually over eat in one sitting (granted my portion sizes were bigger than normal but I didn't eat a whole box of something) pretty much everything I ate all day long was bad for me. So I have now changed all that and a little over a month in I'm still doing good. The other day I made my cookie bars for one of my son's teachers so I allowed myself to have 1. Rest were sent off to school and I didn't make an extra batch for home like I would have normally.
    Exercise is another challenge for me. I'm not going to lie I'm lazy lol I don't really have the money to join a gym, get a trainer or take a class. I have been doing work out videos at home along with walks outside. So far I've stuck to it. As I get more in shape and am able to do more I plan on getting more intense videos and such.
  • SandiW02
    SandiW02 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Well you have a computer and if you like zumba here is a link to one of my zumba instructors who put this out - his name is Marco and he is fantastic in class - if you try it let me know if you like it

Oh I am a social over eating secret binge freak - basically that is it - I am trying to change.

http://www.youtube.com/user/zumbamarco

Sandi
  • Kristy7418
    Kristy7418 Posts: 85
    Options
    Thanks! I will check it out. I have never done Zumba