Macros and things to eat other than dairy and pork... two questions.

Options
2»

Replies

• glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    if knowing is critical to your success, sure. But generally if you set your carb limit low enough, and you don't eat over that, you can be pretty confident and save your money.
  • aspiedude
    aspiedude Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Cool. I'm just wicked into keeping track of stuff, all sorts of stuff. This app is perfect for me. I love data.
  • aspiedude
    Options
    Okay... two more.

Is it normal to lose 5.4 lbs in a week?

Is it normal to not really be hungry until about 1 pm and only have the appetite for about 1150 calories after that?
  • Almoshposh
    Almoshposh Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    aspiedude wrote: »
    Okay... two more.

Is it normal to lose 5.4 lbs in a week?

Is it normal to not really be hungry until about 1 pm and only have the appetite for about 1150 calories after that?

Yep to both. Sounds like the effects of ketosis alright. Welcome to low carb high fat! :Fantastic isn't it <3
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    The 5.4 pound loss early on is expected, but don't expect that every week. And yes, not being hungry is one of the many great side effects of LCHF! Good for you!
  • me_ona_diet
    me_ona_diet Posts: 71 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Yep, I had big losses like that in my first two weeks too. And ditto on the hunger. I am Never hungry on this WOE! Gotta love it! Congrats and keep it up! :)
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    The blood ketone meter is nifty, but a waste of money. Take it from someone who has dumped hundreds (literally hundreds) of dollars into tracking ketones. I've got the blood meter, the breath meter, and bought plenty of urine and blood strips. In the end, it's really not that important. What's important is being consistent and eating the right things. The ketones and weight loss take care of themselves. Your body is amazingly self-regulating, when you remove things that hinder it from operating correctly (carbs, usually). It will produce the right amount of ketones necessary for your energy needs. It will burn off the excess fat. You can spend a lot of money tracking what it's doing. But, it's cheaper just to spend that money on food and be patient. The results will be obvious on the scale and in your body, over the long run.
  • aspiedude
    Options
    Thanks for the great insights.
  • aspiedude
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Another question. Can being ketoic make you ummm, crazy? Because I'm feeling a bit weird.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Yes, as your metabolism changes, all manner of other factors can seem wacky... Depends on what form of crazy, but yes, probably.
  • aspiedude
    Options
    How long does it usually take to settle down?
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    Well, what sort of thing are we really talking about here. You need to be a little more specific about what you're feeling.

Personally, I had some mental changes that settled but never went away. For example, I'm apparently a morning person now. That's new for me. I used to be a "sleep until noon if I can" person. I'm no longer jumping out of bed at 5am. But, I'm still awake and ready to go right before my alarm goes off at 6am every morning... weekday and weekend.
  • Almoshposh
    Almoshposh Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    Well, what sort of thing are we really talking about here. You need to be a little more specific about what you're feeling.

Personally, I had some mental changes that settled but never went away. For example, I'm apparently a morning person now. That's new for me. I used to be a "sleep until noon if I can" person. I'm no longer jumping out of bed at 5am. But, I'm still awake and ready to go right before my alarm goes off at 6am every morning... weekday and weekend.

I've experienced the opposite. I used to be wide awake and jumping out of bed at 5am. Now I have to peel my eyes open at 7. And I had bad insomnia before but now I sleep throughout the night no problems. I do admit I worked out some work stress related issues but I noticed the improved sleep within a couple of weeks of starting keto.
  • aspiedude
    Options
    Ummm... semi-paranoia, half-a$$ed hallucinations, etc. I knew it was all in my head, but it still scared the snipes out of me. I think the ketosis was making me manic, but I'm not sure. We'll find out soon. I ate some carbs and came out of ketosis and it calmed down, but also changed my meds (yeah, I'm one of those guys). But now I'm back to the LCHF eating.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    Those aren't typical symptoms. But, considering the well established effects ketosis can have on the brain, I believe you. Eventually, things should balance out and calm down. You may need to keep an eye on the meds and their effects, as well as inform your doctors, so they know what's going on.
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Also make sure you're getting enough salt. A lot of people drink broth everyday, either the powdered stuff from the store (lots of salt there) or the homemade stuff with salt added.
  • aspiedude
    Options
    That might have been it. I was umm..... using the bathroom like crazy and not getting even the 2300 mg limit of sodium a day the USDA says.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I don't get anything like that, but I get a real buzz on days where my macros are perfect and I get a lot of salt. I feel super cheerful and half drunk almost.