losing the belly fat

Options
Labouffecestbon
Labouffecestbon Posts: 182 Member
To anyone who lost weight and ended with a flat stomach...

What did you do to achieve this?
Did the belly simply go down as you lost weight?
Did you do any particular exercise to help the process? (I've heard for ex that jump roping is as great for abs as it is an excellent cardio workout)

I'm curious to know what has worked for you so I can pick up some habits now.
Thanks.

Replies

• kitkat4141
    kitkat4141 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I did a little bit of everything while losing the weight. Strength training, both heavy and light/high reps, yoga, pilates, spinning, zumba, lots of abs exercises. Mix it up, keep it fun so you don't lose interest. My tummy is flat but I have a little loose skin that did not go away. I truly believe heavy lifting had the greatest impact.
  • Labouffecestbon
    Options
    I did a little bit of everything while losing the weight. Strength training, both heavy and light/high reps, yoga, pilates, spinning, zumba, lots of abs exercises. Mix it up, keep it fun so you don't lose interest. My tummy is flat but I have a little loose skin that did not go away. I truly believe heavy lifting had the greatest impact.
    Thanks! I mix it up already so I hope it works in my favor. I lift, not heavy though (at home, with dumbells). Perhaps some day I'll get that chance. How often did you do your ab work? (Crunches, sit-ups, etc.)
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    As I've continued to drop body fat %, my tummy has gotten tighter. The biggest change for me has been NROL for Abs (really a full body workout with core focus) and now doing ballet.
  • kitkat4141
    kitkat4141 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I mix it up already so I hope it works in my favor. I lift, not heavy though (at home, with dumbells). Perhaps some day I'll get that chance. How often did you do your ab work? (Crunches, sit-ups, etc.)

I do abs exercises about 4 times per week. Each session is usually about 15 minutes and is at the end of my spinning classes, personal training, and arms/abs class.
  • Labouffecestbon
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback, ladies.
    I figured I would continue my focus on weight loss (BF loss) and the tummy fat should follow (since most of my workouts work the belly as well). When I'm closer to goal, perhaps then I'll focus more on the core? I'll see as I get there. I have a way to go (about 20 lbs left).
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce. Just lose all over BF and your body will lose where it chooses.
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    My tummy isn't flat (and probably never will be again...ugh) but I've found that through heavy lifting, my tummy has become leaner. The only exercises I do specifically for my abs are planks and ab vacuums but other than that, I work my abs through squats and other compound moves. For cardio, I'll often do Shaun T's Hip Hop Abs.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    As someone above stated you can't spot reduce. Just continue to lift heavy and do some cardio, the fat will burn off in time. Time time time...
  • cherrybomb_77
    cherrybomb_77 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Oh, how I wish you could spot reduce! I carry most of my weight in my abdomen, and it sucks. Sadly, like the others said, there's nothing you can do to reduce stomach fat specifically, just keep losing body fat in general.