Meal Prep Recipes

Jensmart403
Jensmart403 Posts: 6 Member
I love to meal prep on Sundays. Looking for folks who want to share recipes,ideas and tricks to successful meal prepping.

Replies

• rendress269
    rendress269 Posts: 90 Member
    Here's one of my favorite crockpot recipes for Cilantro Lime Turkey Chili. Unfortunately, I cook by taste and rarely measure anything but here's my starter recipe.....

http://www.girlbythelake.com/2012/10/09/cilantro-and-lime-turkey-chili/

I've modified this recipe over the past few months. For EACH pound of lean ground turkey ( we prefer 94% lean or higher), I add ONE 28 oz can of diced tomatoes, 1 Tbsp tomato paste, 1/4 cup chicken stock, 1/2 bell pepper (any color works), a small onion diced, 2 cloves garlic and TWO 14 oz cans of kidney beans. I use a liberal amount of cilantro and fresh lime juice.

Season to your preference. I use a combination of cumin, red pepper flakes, chili powder, salt, pepper, thyme and chipotle chili powder.

Sauté ground turkey, onions and garlic- turkey can get mushy if all ingredients are added at once. Then add to crockpot with other ingredients. I add the beans in last, about an hour before eating. I cook on high for 6 hours and switch to low when I add beans.

This freezes and reheats well.

Happy prepping!
  • tmarie1989
    tmarie1989 Posts: 17 Member
    A couple of my favorite meals for meal prep are:

-lean ground turkey with spinach, onion and green, red, and yellow bell peppers (I usually add jalapeños to everything!). Add your favorite spices (I usually add cayenne, pepper, garlic powder).
    -shrimp (or chicken) fried brown rice! I usually buy a frozen, steam-able mixed veggie bag and cook my brown rice like an hour before I start my shrimp because I found that if the rice is cooled down, it fries a bit better :)

Both of these recipes gives you protein, veggies as well as some good carbs! :)
  • gash14
    gash14 Posts: 63 Member
    I meal prep and meal plan. I lay out my menu for the month on the 2nd to the last weekend of the month for the following month. Every Sunday I prep all my fruits/veggies/meats, etc...

Some of my favorite meals are:
    1-2 pounds of chicken (a good mix of dark and light meat), 1-2 cups Salsa, 1 cup Cream Cheese, 1 can drained and rinsed black beans all thrown together in a freezer bag. Then on the day I cook the meal, I just dump in crock, turn on low and let it cook for 6-8 hours. Shred/chunk up the chicken once it's done and serve the mixture over rice, lettuce or in a wrap. It's extremely versatile and can be eaten cold or hot once cooked once.
  • GreenHeather2014
    GreenHeather2014 Posts: 74 Member
    Sundays are my trip to the local farmer's market; I pick up most of my vegetables there, and plan my week around what was available.
    As it's summer here I've also broken out the summer pickling crock, and there are fresh vegetables for snacking on the table at all times http://www.almanac.com/blog/natural-health-home-tips/perpetual-pickles.

Like another author here, I prep all my vegetables on Sunday. I also do things such as bake, dice, and flash freeze meats (like chicken breast) on Sunday. This way I can just grab needed portions for something like a chicken salad, and thaw it the day before.
  • nyponbell
    nyponbell Posts: 379 Member
    I do meal prep on Sundays when the lunch at school (where I work, we eat with the kids) isn't something I think I will enjoy/healthy. Then I make a bean soup (it used to be a stew, but I decided to mix it once and add more water and it was fantastic so now I'm doing it as a soup).

Since it's just me, when I make it I get 5-6 meals out of it; I supplement this with the salad in school.

I also prep nut snack-packs, about once a month. I make up to 20 bags at the same time (emptying the bags the nuts came in) with cashews and pistachios, about 10 grams of each per bag. In the past I've done something similar with my cheat treat (nuts with chocolate) and once I get back into a good routine here, I think I will start doing that as well.

Beyond that, I don't prep much! Since I eat my one hot meal at lunch, I tend not to eat a regular dinner when I get home (and I often don't get home until late). It's something I'm working on, and I will probably start to do a lot more healthy food prep in the fall when I'm back home (abroad all summer, don't know how I will handle that food-wise!) for lunch and dinner as I won't be working (going back to university).