Low carb snacks/sweet treats

Options
xrachypx
xrachypx Posts: 17 Member
Can I have some suggestions of sweet treats/snacks whilst on low carb? I don't want to be buying the atkins bars, are protein bars similar?

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Avoid sugar alcohols. Period. The will mess up your stomach/intestines and may stall out your weight loss. I find that any bars are not worth it.

Are you wanting something to buy and not make? There is a thread for snack recently.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10168849/low-carb-snack-ideas#latest

If you want bought snacks, individually portioned, I bought some Ghiradelli 86% cocoa squares, called Midnight Reserver or something. 4 carbs per square (less if you count net).

I find that does it for me, on square, broken into pieces, slowly savored. It has no artificial stuff in it, but it might take some getting used to.

If you are wanting snack recipes to make, let me know and I'll post some of the ones I like, but word of warning, sweeten only to tolerance, not to "taste sweet" or it will lead to a response akin to triggering sugar cravings. About the only thing I sweeten anymore is my tea, and with that, it's only to the point of taking the edge off the tannins. If I sweeten to taste, it's a downhill slide.
  • xLoveLikeWinterx
    xLoveLikeWinterx Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I make protein muffins. They taste good, low carb, taste decently sweet (but not super sweet like donuts or any of that crap).
  • Artemis68
    Artemis68 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I make fat bombs which are just coconut oil, peanut butter, sweetener, cocoa powder and almond slivers. Melt together, poor into ice cube trays and freeze. They have to be kept frozen or they melt. They're the perfect bit of chocolate for a craving yet has a bunch of good fats to stop you from being hungry.

There's tons of different recipes too, just google or pinterest 'fat bombs'
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I find all foods just taste sweeter these days and things that would never consider a sweet treat before are now. I don't know if you're at that point yet but you might consider some fruits and vegetables.

Like sugar snap peas are insanely sugary sweet. Sour cream and onion dip made with Lipton Onion soup mix and cut up green pepper is sweet now and another favorite. And of course there's always fresh fruit which is an absolute treat.
  • walkinthedogs
    walkinthedogs Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I mash up a few raspberries and my few I mean about 10, throw in a about 10 of the darkest chocolate chips I can find, add a little shredded coconut and mix together and eat, it's so yummy and is just enough to take the edge of when I'm craving something sweet. Sometimes I'll top with a little whipped cream or throw a tablespoon or so of coconut cream in there too.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Sunflower seeds taste really sweet to me now. Or berries.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    When I'm in a rush to eat something sweet, I scoop out a tablespoon of natural peanut butter and eat it very slowly. Or if I have it on hand I eat one or two squares of 90% dark chocolate. I recently discovered that a tablespoon of peanut butter, a packet of stevia, a teaspoon of unsweetened cocoa powder, and two tablespoons of heavy whipping cream all whipped up together tastes divine and only takes about 5 minutes at the most to make.
  • xLoveLikeWinterx
    xLoveLikeWinterx Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I want a fat bomb now, badly lol... I might have to make it at home tonight...