Half and Half in Tea

Options
farmers_daughter
farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
Ok - so I had an old packet of black tea with orange rind and spices in it warmed up some water, and I put a packet of stevia and a dab of half and half in it, turned out great...well except I don't really like that flavor of tea.
So I tried it again with green tea Lipton green tea with cranberry and pomegranate, did the same combination and the half and half curdled.... tried it again this morning with cooler water temp...curdled. Soooooo.... am I doing something wrong or does everyone but me know that green tea and half and half curdles?

Anyone got any flavor/combo's they like?

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I've put cream and whatnot in green tea before to no ill effect. It might have been something in that particular tea. I know you can't mix cream and citrus, for example. It's possible the cranberry and/or pomegranate was acidic enough to make the cream curdle.

Teavana has a kind called Caramel Almond Amaretti, it's awesome with a little cream. Black teas are also common ones for things like cream and even butter. You can also do a tea latte with them. I've done a matcha green tea latte, which was quite good, too.
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    I have a black pomegranate tea that I'm going to try, but never thought about the citrus!!! You genious! I love my fruity stuff :-1: . But if not I'll have to find a new one.
  • spunkyabroad
    spunkyabroad Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I always put a splash of cream (not half and half, heavy whipping cream) in my tea and I've never had it curdle. But I do drink black tea. Mainly Earl Grey or Lady Grey.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I drink all kinds of tea, and I've only had half and half curdle in tea if it was on the verge of going bad. It's possible that the tea is too acidic, but I would check your half and halfs expiration date.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I've dumped heavy cream in most of my tea flavors at some point with no curdling...and I love citrus and berry, so I really don't know.
  • AreteAndWhimsy
    AreteAndWhimsy Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    The milk in the half and half is more prone to curdling than straight cream would be.