Just starting out with questions..

Options
Norahoefer
Norahoefer Posts: 10 Member
Hello!
My husband and I have recently begun to focus on health and fitness rather than "dieting and losing weight" I would like to try to EM2WL and I'm wondering if someone could advise on exercise for me when calculating my BMR and TDEE?
My regular weekly exercise consists of :
3 or 4 mornings a week 40 minutes of lap swimming
3 or 4 days a week a 2.5-3 mile walk (about a 14 minute mile)
1 hour of step aerobics.
I think I should consider myself doing 3-5 hours of moderate exercise/week...is this correct?
Many thanks!
Norah

Replies

• crazytrain66
    crazytrain66 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If you look in the categories in this forum a helpful post from heybales is there. He knows his stuff ;)
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,757 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Norahoefer wrote: »
    Hello!
    My husband and I have recently begun to focus on health and fitness rather than "dieting and losing weight" I would like to try to EM2WL and I'm wondering if someone could advise on exercise for me when calculating my BMR and TDEE?
    My regular weekly exercise consists of :
    3 or 4 mornings a week 40 minutes of lap swimming
    3 or 4 days a week a 2.5-3 mile walk (about a 14 minute mile)
    1 hour of step aerobics.
    I think I should consider myself doing 3-5 hours of moderate exercise/week...is this correct?
    Many thanks!
    Norah

Why is it women always underestimate their activity levels and men overestimate them? I don't think even heybales has an answer for that one >:)

You have listed atleast 4 hrs. of just specific exercise. Now do you carry a laundry basket up or down stairs to a washing machine and bring the the laundry back to its starting place? Do you walk from your car to a swimming pool or gym? Do you have any kids to chase? Do you have a dog that has to be walked or played with on a daily basis. Do you dance with your husband or by yourself when listening to music? These are just a few examples of activity we don't count normally but guess what? It does burn calories and they do add up.

My fitbit has taught me that lesson.

But also read the FAQ by Heybales in the stickies.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    May help see that time clearly.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1G7FgNzPq3v5WMjDtH0n93LXSMRY_hjmzNTMJb3aZSxM/edit?usp=sharing

Is lap swimming slow like walking 3-4 mph, or more intense like running and a strong workout. Easily could be done either way.
    3.5 x 40 min = 140 easy or hard cardio whichever it belongs in

3.5 x 14 = 49 min walk for easy cardio

60 min hard cardio step aerobics.

140+60+49=249 min = 4.15 hrs just exercise, but no comment on activity for the other 15 hrs of the day outside sleep and exercise.

So that spreadsheet will let you account for that other activity, if beyond a sedentary desk job/commute of 45 hrs weekly.

Why do women underestimate?

Because they are tougher, and so all the stuff they do doesn't seem like that big a deal to them.
    But the lounge chair guy is going to comment on ALL the extra stuff they did, and men like to exaggerate of course.
  • Norahoefer
    Options
    Thank you for the information! I'm amazed at how many more calories I should be consuming and I'm hoping that if i change this it will help with my energy level. I'd like to lose about 20-25 more pounds but I'd rather do it slow and steady and feel better than starve!
    I have been staying between 1400-1550 calories/day for the last 2 months...should I start adding the full amount (the spreadhseet said I should be at 1959 for 15% deficit) or should I do it slower?
    Thanks again...this feels like a really doable plan!
    Norah
  • walleyeten
    walleyeten Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Bump it up 250 calories for first week and the remainder on the second week. Oh, HeyBales spreadsheet does work!
  • MandaLeigh123
    MandaLeigh123 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »

Why do women underestimate?

Because they are tougher, and so all the stuff they do doesn't seem like that big a deal to them.
    But the lounge chair guy is going to comment on ALL the extra stuff they did, and men like to exaggerate of course.

Yes! Its true.
    You're higher than the 3-5 I believe :smile:

Have you considered eating at full TDEE for a little while and give your metabolism a chance to heal?
  • Norahoefer
    Options
    I have, but my sister's wedding is in a month and I don't want to add any more pounds to this body before I have to walk down the aisle! Do you think I can do a slow increase and then full TDEE after the wedding if it's necessary?
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Of course you can. You are in complete control. You can always add less calories/day over a longer period of time. It's just going to take longer to see if you've reached maintenance or surplus level. Or, just plan a reset after the wedding.
  • Norahoefer
    Options
    you folks are all so nice and helpful! I really appreciate all of the information and the positivity--there are many places on the old MFP that are anything but informational and positive!
    thank you thank you!
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Oh don't I know it @norahoefer Some people in the open forum are just mean. It's pretty sad, because some have knowledge but no one wants to listen to a total tool.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Reset like RIGHT after the wedding - at the reception.

Ditto to increasing slowly. You may find the body is unstressed enough that by merely adding back in some calories, it's willing to speed up to full potential or partial burn, and you'll have a deficit and actual fat loss going on.

Even if not, you likely won't gain anything but water weight spread throughout the body and unnoticeable.

Even then, it'll be less stressed out, so any other stresses won't cause normal water retention.

Increase a week at a time, 100 extra daily. That's all.