Just Started Eating Clean and I feel sick

Options
carakit
carakit Posts: 126 Member
edited May 2015 in Social Groups
So today is the second day of my journey into clean eating, and I'm not feeling so good. I literally feel like I'm going to throw up most of the time. Last night I couldn't sleep bc I thought I was going to be sick, but at the same time it felt like I was starving. Has anyone else had this issue when they first started? I'm eating my recommended calories and Im not sure what else I can do. Any advise?

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you're sick?
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you're sick?

This is what I was thinking...
  • carakit
    Options
    No I'm not sick. It's almost like feeling you get when you're super hungry and your stomach is eating itself. I'm wondering its some kind of withdraw type thing.
  • TBrownCVT
    TBrownCVT Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Well, any time you make a drastic change in your diet, it can make you feel sick. You can try a slower change.
    If you're feeling overly hungry, eat more. If you usually eat higher calories, you have to again adjust slowly. It will take time, but remember that the inflammation being caused when you feel that sick is actually hindering the weight loss. Your body will try to protect itself and store more fat.
  • Deidrella
    Deidrella Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Eat more fruits and veggies and get lots of water, you have to eat tons of the good so you won't fall back into bad habits, you train your body to make fat when you don't give it enough too it will store it for the next time you don't eat enough. it can become a vicious cycle.
  • carakit
    Options
    TBrownCVT wrote: »
    Well, any time you make a drastic change in your diet, it can make you feel sick. You can try a slower change.
    If you're feeling overly hungry, eat more. If you usually eat higher calories, you have to again adjust slowly. It will take time, but remember that the inflammation being caused when you feel that sick is actually hindering the weight loss. Your body will try to protect itself and store more fat.

I think you are right. I'm so used to stuffing myself with carbs, and now I'm cutting down on carbs drastically. I also have completely cut soda out. I feel like I'm detoxing!! lol I have been eating a lot of salads with chicken but never feel full once I'm finished.
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    If you are not feeling full or satisfied, try increasing healthy fats... add in avocado, high quality cheese, coconut oil etc. Also use full fat products not "lite"... less processed, less sugar and more satisfying. Fills you up and tastes better. It usually isn't a problem with the calorie count if you have removed processed/refined carbohydrates like bread and pasta.

If you have drastically reduced your carbs/sugar, you definitely have a reason to not feel well for a few days! It is like a sugar hangover!
  • gash14
    gash14 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Probably Detox like others have suggested. I know I went through a week or so of flu-like symptoms after going cold turkey off sodas, processed foods, wheat and dairy. It was pretty rough, but when I came out the other side I felt and still do feel fantastic!
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    carakit wrote: »
    So today is the second day of my journey into clean eating, and I'm not feeling so good. I literally feel like I'm going to throw up most of the time. Last night I couldn't sleep bc I thought I was going to be sick, but at the same time it felt like I was starving. Has anyone else had this issue when they first started? I'm eating my recommended calories and Im not sure what else I can do. Any advise?

It sounds like you might have just eaten bad chicken..."low carb flu" is a thing but not on day two...I suppose it depends on what you were eating before v now but that doesn't sound right...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    No I'm not sick. It's almost like feeling you get when you're super hungry and your stomach is eating itself. I'm wondering its some kind of withdraw type thing.

It could be a withdrawl thing, especially if you were eating a lot of sugar and carbage.
  • TBrownCVT
    Options

I think you are right. I'm so used to stuffing myself with carbs, and now I'm cutting down on carbs drastically. I also have completely cut soda out. I feel like I'm detoxing!! lol I have been eating a lot of salads with chicken but never feel full once I'm finished.

First, I agree with the others who are saying eat more fats. It will help you feel more satisfied. A lot of people want to avoid fats to keep calories down or because mainstream media says fats are evil, but healthy fats are wonderful for your body.

Second, I'm curious how you're feeling now. Has there been any improvement in your symptoms?
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options

With all due respect, but inflammation does not work this way. You are correct in that the body wants to correct itself. That however comes from hanging on to water ( that is why inflamed parts often look swollen ). The body can only produce fat when we burn less calories than we eat. Eating more beneficial fats, while staying within a deficit is often a good idea.
  • TBrownCVT
    Options
    Ang108 wrote: »

With all due respect, but inflammation does not work this way. You are correct in that the body wants to correct itself. That however comes from hanging on to water ( that is why inflamed parts often look swollen ). The body can only produce fat when we burn less calories than we eat. Eating more beneficial fats, while staying within a deficit is often a good idea.

I'm sorry. I was lazy and said the wrong thing. Here's what I was reason going for:

Stress and inflammation cause the release of cortisol in the body. "Repeated elevation of cortisol can lead to weight gain. One way is via visceral fat storage. Cortisol can mobilize triglycerides from storage and relocate them to visceral fat cells (those under the muscle, deep in the abdomen). Cortisol also aids adipocytes’ development into mature fat cells. The biochemical process at the cellular level has to do with enzyme control (11-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase), which converts cortisone to cortisol in adipose tissue. More of these enzymes in the visceral fat cells may mean greater amounts of cortisol produced at the tissue level, adding insult to injury (since the adrenals are already pumping out cortisol). Also, visceral fat cells have more cortisol receptors than subcutaneous fat."

http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/111609p38.shtml
  • tessah316
    tessah316 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you are not feeling full or satisfied, try increasing healthy fats... add in avocado, high quality cheese, coconut oil etc. Also use full fat products not "lite"... less processed, less sugar and more satisfying. Fills you up and tastes better. It usually isn't a problem with the calorie count if you have removed processed/refined carbohydrates like bread and pasta.

If you have drastically reduced your carbs/sugar, you definitely have a reason to not feel well for a few days! It is like a sugar hangover!

This has always helped me! If I don't add in a small serving of fat it feels like my stomach is growling when it's trying to process a ton of veggies (especially raw bell peppers or raw broccoli). I think when a lot of people jump on the "clean eating" bandwagon they totally get eating more veggies & fruits, lean meats, etc. but they are still afraid of fat. Your body needs these healthy fats... I hope something that has been suggested helps you! If not, like everything else in life - trial and error, try switching up your meals a little bit and see if you can pinpoint what made you feel a little off.
  • AshleyGargas
    AshleyGargas Posts: 1 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    The same thing happened to me at first. First I wasn't eating the right balance of foods-fats proteins carbs. Second I think it was part of the detoxification process and third I was drinking way too much water. Hope it helps. I feel great now.
  • rvlashn
    rvlashn Posts: 4 Member
    Options

Depending on how bad your diet was before, the switch can make you feel sick.
  • carakit
    Options
    I'm am feeling better, I started adding more healthy snacks during the day and that seems to help. I still get the feeling that I am starving right after I eat a meal. Most recently after a meal of grilled chicken (6 oz., 1C. brown rice, 1/2C. steamed broccoli). Literally right after I eat I feel like I'm going to throw up. I'm drinking 3 L. plus per of water per day.
  • AlexKuznetsov
    AlexKuznetsov Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Maybe you are allergic to some food?
  • CarolynCairns
    CarolynCairns Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This is a really tricky one. It may be you've made too drastic a change to your diet and you're kind of in shock. I think if you're going to make a long term change to your relationship with food, it's good to start with a detox. You wouldn't unplug a blocked sink by just drip feeding in more water. You're unblock it first, then stop it from getting blocked again.
    The way I'm about to suggest is not the only way, but really worked for me. I followed Jason Vale's (Juicemaster) 3 day detox. It's 4 or 5 fresh fruit/veg juices per day. No solid food. After that you can keep juice in or out as you like. I never felt hungry whilst I was doing this, I slept better. I feel good!

I'm now working my days like this;
    Breakfast - hot water with slice of lemon
    Mid-morning - fresh juice
    Lunch - normal lunch
    Dinner - normal dinner

Don't fear carbs. Don't fear fat. Just eat clean. Avoid processed sugar and limit foods that have lots of ingredients on the packet. Natural food doesn't need a label!

Good luck - really glad I found this group.
  • CarolynCairns
    CarolynCairns Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Also - perhaps a silly thing to say - eat slowly.