Morning workouts on Keto (need tips for HIIT, fasted or fed)

missladyfit
missladyfit Posts: 54 Member
Hello friends! I'm having some trouble searching for a related post so I figured I would just start my own. I think I'd like to incorporate exercise in the morning before I have to get ready for work. I've seen a lot of different information flying around about HIIT vs. Cardio, fasted vs. fed, yadda yadda.

I found this article about steady state cardio vs. HIIT which I thought was pretty useful. https://experiencelife.com/article/steady-state-cardio-vs-high-intensity-interval-training/

From the article, they said a good way to gage what's best for you is to see how fast your resting pulse is. Mine is just below 60 so I guess HIIT is OK for me. Also a bonus that HIIT workouts are relatively short.

However, I'm not sure how fasted vs. fed affects HIIT, but I have a feeling that HIIT is not as effective when fasted and may be hard to get to the 90% capacity level I'd be aiming for. Wondering I should even bother worrying about this or if there is an easy way for me to break fast quickly in the mornings, without worrying about adverse effects (i.e. throwing up my breakfast) or losing much time (not much of a morning person so hopefully exercising will help counteract that). I normally just have my coffee in the morning and eat my real meals at lunch and dinner since Keto keeps me pretty satiated.

Hopefully you guys can share your thoughts and tips with me. Also open to suggestions on HIIT videos or routines. I know there are tons out there for me to find, but feel free to recommend your favorites! :#

Replies

• DCpaleochick
    DCpaleochick Posts: 211 Member
    hello friend! this is just my personal 0.02 cents. I normally do my morning workouts in a fasted state. But I would not recommend doing this unless you have already keto-adapt. Or have done Intermittent Fasting at some point. I honestly think that I kick *kitten* in my workouts in a fasted state. I feel amazing afterwards :smile:
  • edyn_Blair
    edyn_Blair Posts: 44 Member
    I always do my carb up after my workout. I usually do the cardio (or hiit in your case) first thing in the morning before I eat, I drink at least a half liter of water to curb hunger. I make sure to take a pre-workout with it and put BCAA's in my water for during my workout. Then I go home and have a protein shake with coconut oil. Then carbs for lunch. For me this has worked to fuel my bod while still depleting it of carbs while it's at it's warmest point. effectively (for me at least) burning more fat eat day. If I plan to work out later in the day I do my (carbs) Lunch after the workout. hope it helps. again this works for me but not for everyone.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    I agreed with the keto-adaption state (you'll be able to tell at least somewhat because you can workout without exhaustion, etc., no carb cravings). You can actually burn more fat that way. Some info was posted on the other group (low carbers daily) about this recently.

That being said, I believe r/leangains is one that advocates keto adaption and lifting/hiit, etc. without carbs.

Many other choose as Edyn said above to carb cycle. You'll just need to experiment and see which works best for you. I personally recommend trying without the carbing up first, just so you can see the keto adaption effects with the carby influence.
  • edyn_Blair
    edyn_Blair Posts: 44 Member
    I will say if I am lifting, I definitely wait to carb until after, But I do a protein shake before. that way I can actually gain, I lose my glycogen stupid fast, my body likes to eat the protein. so on lifting days I have to shake up before.
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    I only do intervals on a weekly basis however it's always in a fasted state, even before keto. I think if you are healthy you'll be able to handle it. If not, your body will let you know.