Low Carb Problem

Options
Gizmo20783
Gizmo20783 Posts: 36 Member
So once a week I have two back to back days where I reduce my carbohydrate intake to around 50 grams. However getting about 2,000 calories with only 50 grams of carbs is rather difficult for me. I've found that the only options I can rely on are increasing my meat intake, but having 15oz+ of meat in a day, while enjoyable, is making me uneasy. Can anyone offer me any advice or put my mind at ease.

Replies

• camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I think you don't need to worry if your carbs are low enough, add in more fat and the protein to your own needs (calculate macros here http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/). And check out the Meativores on this group -- they did a kind of "zero-carb" challenge in May that you can read through: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10167313/meativore-may-may-22-check-in

But only doing LC for 2 days a week may not really be the best way to do it, as you won't get fat-adapted, which is the aim to control blood sugar and lose fat? Read up on the diet (here is a good place to start http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/) and see if you can adjust to eating fewer carbs every day. What are your goals?

Welcome, btw!
  • SlimBride2Be
    SlimBride2Be Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Yeah it's basically about eating meat around here. If you are worried, use all your 50 carbs for veggies and you'll have a really very balanced diet. Just don't eat any 'carbage'.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    just need to research recipes, if you cook.

I can probably eat 2000 cals in one meal with the following recipe. It's basically cauliflower cheese made with cream instead of milk and it is the food of the gods. Adjust proportions according to how much you want - you can prob get a recipe online but substitute cream for the milk to make it LCHF.

Parboil some cauliflower ie cook til almost done but not quite. Drain and place in oven proof container. Fry up some bacon bits and a wee bit of onion (whatever your carbs will allow after the cauliflower). Sprinkle over the cauliflower.

Now melt a big wodge of butter in a pan. Stir in a tablespoon of flour (yes I know the devil, but it thickens the sauce). Keep stirring do not let burn. Slowly add pouring cream and keep stirring until sauce is nice and thick. Add some grated cheese of your preference and stir sauce until cheese is melted. Pour sauce over cauliflower mix. Top with a bit more melted cheese and put in oven until top is nicely browned.

Doesn't sound exciting but the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I eat more than 2,000 calories a day (average 2,600) and around 0g of carbs. I do that every day.

The only thing is, I eat a lot more than 15 oz of meat. What worries you most about the meat?
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason you only do low carb two days per week? You may not be allowing yourself to enjoy the benefits of this way of eating by see-sawing back and forth. How many carbs do you eat the other five days?
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    just need to research recipes, if you cook.

I can probably eat 2000 cals in one meal with the following recipe. It's basically cauliflower cheese made with cream instead of milk and it is the food of the gods. Adjust proportions according to how much you want - you can prob get a recipe online but substitute cream for the milk to make it LCHF.

Parboil some cauliflower ie cook til almost done but not quite. Drain and place in oven proof container. Fry up some bacon bits and a wee bit of onion (whatever your carbs will allow after the cauliflower). Sprinkle over the cauliflower.

Now melt a big wodge of butter in a pan. Stir in a tablespoon of flour (yes I know the devil, but it thickens the sauce). Keep stirring do not let burn. Slowly add pouring cream and keep stirring until sauce is nice and thick. Add some grated cheese of your preference and stir sauce until cheese is melted. Pour sauce over cauliflower mix. Top with a bit more melted cheese and put in oven until top is nicely browned.

Doesn't sound exciting but the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

Have you tried arrowroot powder or tapioca starch in place of flour? Still has carbs but they're both gluten free.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Gizmo20783 wrote: »
    So once a week I have two back to back days where I reduce my carbohydrate intake to around 50 grams. However getting about 2,000 calories with only 50 grams of carbs is rather difficult for me. I've found that the only options I can rely on are increasing my meat intake, but having 15oz+ of meat in a day, while enjoyable, is making me uneasy. Can anyone offer me any advice or put my mind at ease.

Butter, sour cream, coconut oil in everything.