recepies for snacks, and treats

Options
tishball
tishball Posts: 155 Member
Reading this forum some of you seem to have little treats you can make for those times when you need to just munch on something but want to avoid carbs. ( for me it was crisps/chips). What can i a make or buy , that is low carb better yet no carb. I know I can have peanuts, almonds etc, but I will get bored with them. What do you do? buy or make? It would be great to have a few ideas.

Replies

• kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Thankfully I was never really much of a grazer, so for me I needed to figure out what I was "missing".

For example I used to eat chips, but really, what is there to miss about a paper thin piece of potato? Fat and Salt that's what! so ... Pork rinds for the win. I have now have zero desire for chips. Better yet, I can stop into any petrol/service station/convience store and grab a bag.

I also try to keep deviled eggs in the fridge. Again, I miss TASTE, not the actual food/munching. There is a fat bomb recipe I'm going to try this week that is pretty much just deviled eggs with bacon on a ball form ;-)

I also saw a "recipe" for peperoni chips. I keep meaning to try them, but the peperoni keeps disappearing with cheese slices ...
  • SlimBride2Be
    SlimBride2Be Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I decided to quit snacking. If I get desperate it's macadamia or Brazil nuts. I feel soooo much better on 3 sturdy meals a day!
  • tishball
    Options
    Indeed it is flavour I need, like you it is the flavours on the chips I love, pork rinds we don't have here, but I assume if I cut the rind off the bacon and bake it until it is crispy that is the same thing? . I am not much of a snacker but there are times when I sit and watch tv and just want to have something to munch on. It used to be popcorn, but I am trying for very low carb so that has to be curtailed .
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    What country are you in?

You'll eventually lose the urge to snack while watching TV. When and if I do, I pull out the cheese and peperoni.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Salami chips are good. And pork rinds are deep fried to be so light and airy, I don't think you get something like that in an oven
  • tishball
    Options
    Ireland, the west of Ireland at that, so it's fairly wild and rural, lol
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    tishball wrote: »
    Indeed it is flavour I need, like you it is the flavours on the chips I love, pork rinds we don't have here, but I assume if I cut the rind off the bacon and bake it until it is crispy that is the same thing? . I am not much of a snacker but there are times when I sit and watch tv and just want to have something to munch on. It used to be popcorn, but I am trying for very low carb so that has to be curtailed .

I like doing cheese crisps... Thin slices or piles of shredded cheeses, baked on parchment paper until bubbly. I recently used sharp cheddar and after I pulled them out of the oven but before they cooled, I sprinkled them with ranch popcorn seasoning - better than Cool Ranch Doritos. I sprinkled a few with the topping before it went in, and they overbrowned, so I'd definitely do that part after.

I've seen bacon crumbles sprinkled any, any kind of seasoning (taco seasoning in cheddar), jalapeno thing slices in pepper jack, and all manner of things....

You won't want to do mindless eating, PERIOD. You want to savor your food. If you want mindless, chew some gum.
  • tishball
    Options
    oooooh , thanks for the cheese crisps, they sound loooooovely. I love doritos, tacos, crunchy stuff with flavour, and nope never ate mindless, i enjoy everything, lol. Since I quit smoking though the popcorn was getting more work for hand action than anything else. But I have kicked that habit without gaining weight, so now I want to be a smoke free, sexybod. ( not asking for much am I?, )
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I tried the pepperoni crisps this week and I liked them. Layer the pepperoni slices on a paper plate (some use a paper towel under the pepperoni) and microwave for one minute. When cool they eat like crackers and work for dipping too!

Have done the cheese crisps too! Family likes them too!
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I don't really eat a lot of snack foods. I do like having deviled eggs on hand, string cheese. I made some peanut butter fudge last week and it's really good. One piece is 100 calories and it's high in fat so it's a nice option to get more fat and calories in. I love pepperoni, but I try not to buy it. If I do, I'll eat the whole damn bag lol. And I'd rather not gain water weight. Celery and peanut butter is good as well.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    I tried the pepperoni crisps this week and I liked them. Layer the pepperoni slices on a paper plate (some use a paper towel under the pepperoni) and microwave for one minute. When cool they eat like crackers and work for dipping too!

Have done the cheese crisps too! Family likes them too!

I can see doing the pepperoni chips with a swipe of cream cheese and a piece of dill pickle on it as a fancy appetizer... maybe even "brown" the cream cheese a bit! I enjoy pepperoni with sharp cheddar cheese and pickle spear pieces, so YUM....
  • Fat4Fuel2
    Fat4Fuel2 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I look for volume if I'm craving a munch. I created an "ice cream" recipe with protein powder, almond milk, coconut oil, cream, and ice. The ice makes it a bit crunchy-ish. I usually get a very large bowl's worth for 250-300 cal with no more than 5 carbs.
  • SazzySuze
    SazzySuze Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    pepperoni, cheese crisps, pork rinds, cream cheese clouds. These are my usuals.
  • tishball
    Options
    cheese clouds? great ideas here ladies thanks a million.
  • KDRockstar
    KDRockstar Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    When I am feeling really snacky and crave popcorn, I make nachos with pork rinds, cheddar, and salsa. Just a few satisfy.
  • Almoshposh
    Almoshposh Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter licked off a spoon. Yum!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Good ideas @Knitormiss!
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    I've been playing around with tea-based gummy bear-type treats, homemade with minimal sweetener and relatively high protein. Add in coconut cream or butter if you want to increase the fat content. Lots of recipes online in the Paleo blogs.
  • jumanajane
    jumanajane Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Have a look on Pinterest keto or low carb recipes for snacks. Loads of ideas there. Fat bombs!
  • VallBoston
    VallBoston Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I started snacking on ice cubes.. lol. Seriously. If I have this urge to snack.. I will bring a cup of ice on road trips or when I'm watching tv. It helps the snacking urges a lot! I'm sure you can get a small ice cube tray or even sprinkle some crystal light on them for flavor. Good luck!