Thyroid Diet Secrets:

Options

Replies

• lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    This is amazing! MFP puts me at 1200, but I've always sworn I need to eat 1325 or I'll plateau. My calc came out to 1322!
  • Jaycilynne
    Options
    It says I need to eat 2800 to maintain and 2300 to lose?! MFP puts me about 400 calories less on both counts, and while perhaps I truely am not eating enough to lose weight, I cannot imagine eating THAT much food a day...! Seeings how I'm pregnant, and gaining is ok, I think I will try this 2300 calorie thing for a month, and let you guys know what's up.... see if I actually lose weight like the calculations suggest I should, or if I in fact gain.

And before anyone says anything: No, I am not TRYING to lose weight while pregnant. I have lost weight with both of my last 2 pregnancies without trying at all. I didn't eat particularly" healthy" nor was I exercising. It didn't happen with my oldest (girl) so I guess my boys are just big eaters, even in the womb. Lol I am currently just documenting my calories diet, and my weight gain/loss during this pregnancy, and then I plan on using this site to help me lose as much weight as quickly and healthily as possible post partum. :)
  • Wendyma1
    Wendyma1 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this link. I need to increase my calories a bit. Only 200 but that could make all the difference. I also appreciate the breakdown of percentages of fat/protein and carbs.
  • fultimers
    fultimers Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    My calculations comes out to 2500 calories I need to eat in a day to lose weight. I'm afraid to test it out!
  • JayMri
    JayMri Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Mine came out to 1700, which is a bit high. I have MFP set at 1400 because after some trial and error that is what works for me. I do not lose at 1200 and am always hungry. 1400 is the perfect balance. However I do sometime eat some of my exercise calories back so it may not be too far off
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Mine came out to 2250. This doesn't work for me at all. I maintain or even gain and not lose.

I am still trying to find my "ideal intake" but that isn't quite it.
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    My current weight is 241lbs. My goal weight (for now) is 175. According to the calculations, if I were to "maintain" at 175, I would need to consume 2320 calories per day. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!! If I eat over 2000 calories per day right NOW, I gain weight. I am maintaining at 1800 cals per day. Technically, at this caloric intake, I should be losing at a rate of 1 - 2 lbs per week if I sat on my rear and did NOTHING but breathe all day. That is SO not the case. These calculators are great but there are way too many factors to consider.
  • julysbaby
    julysbaby Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    There is a group here on MFP called Eat More 2 Weigh Less. It encourages women to eat at a deficit of TDEE. According to my height, weight and activity level, I am eating 2000 calories/ daily. Please check out their boards. They go into great detail about how we can help to un-damage our metabolism. It is a lot trickier with thyroid disease, but I really believe the concepts are sound. :smile:
  • shellfly
    Options
    This article is depressing. I completed my weight loss back in December and was maintaining quite nicely on ~1950 calories/day from February until August. At that point, my doctor adjusted my thyroid down. I was concerned about the effect it might have on my maintenance, and indeed, as time has passed, I've seen an upward trend on the scale and am 3 lbs up so far (not a big gain, I realize, but the trend is concerning, and I didn't work as hard as I have just to start gaining the weight back).

According to the article's calculations, at the weight I was maintaining on, I should be eating 1368 calories per day. That seems just crazy to me, I have to assume it's pre-exercise. I am a very active person, doing strength training 3x week and cardio intervals 3x week and had calculated my original TDEE at the moderate level (which is how I came up with 1950). Even post exercise, assuming I'm burning around 200 calories each time, I'm still knocked down to around 1568 total calories going by this article. I've already reduced my calories some recently (from 1950 to 1800 on exercise days, around 1500-1600 on my rest day), and I really hope I won't have to bring them that low. All this just from dropping from .125 to .100 - yikes!

Anyone else with feedback on the effects of having their dosage lowered and just how much they had to drop calories to compensate?
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    calculations for me are just a little under, (by a little I mean around 100 cals) but i have an active job. If I were to exercise, on top of that....then I would need to eat the cals back to use their figures.
  • jocop2003
    jocop2003 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Good link I got 1504 cals, which seems reasonable and I do tend to lose when I eat that much.
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    mine came out to 2300. I think that is incredibly high too. I do think i will try out more cals. I set mine at almost 1800. I think I will try that for a few weeks and see if that helps me break through this plateau.
  • Goodjaz50
    Goodjaz50 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I calculate needing to eat 2277 calories per day. MFP has me at 1400/day and I've been losing about a pound a week. But I exercise hard (Zumba and HIIT) 5-7x/week. I don't know what to do. So frustrated with the slow loss, but can't imagine eating almost 2300 calories/day when I'm not eating calorie-filled carbs.
  • calliekitten9
    calliekitten9 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I'm 146, so it says I should be eating 1459 calories. I agree with the higher protein ratio. I do seem to lose more if I have more protein and less carbs in the mix.
  • ShereeBL63
    Options
    Wow, i wish I would have seen this post a long time ago. When I joined MFP and answered the questions about myself and my "target" weight in a 5-week period there should be a question in there somewhere as to thyroid conditions and then calculate the calories based upon that. I have been living by a 1200 calorie intake ever since i started and it just hasnt been working. Now, with this new calculation I am realizing that I have been not eating near enough calories!!

Im going to try to boost my calorie intake up to 1700 and see what happens.
  • rajinhukitzu
    Options
    This can't be right. I'm 4'11", 100 lbs, want to get back to 90-95 range. This link suggests that I eat 936 calories or under a day.

• jenzfoodz
    Options
    Great link! Thank you so much for posting it!
  • brenda5476
    brenda5476 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am eating 1500 - 1600 and losing .5 per week - I am satisfied with that. The extra 100 calories makes a difference for me and helps me keep on the straight an narrow
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Mine comes in about the same as what I've figured via TDEE methods, 1963 to lose (after averaging the results of several TDEE calculators the number I get is around 1950 so pretty close). I'm 5'7.5" and currently 190.4lb if it matters at all.
  • twinkles2121
    twinkles2121 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    This came out to roughly the same as what my Fitbit meal plan gives me. (Website: 2175, Fitbit: 1770) The only difference is I chose the "Medium" plan which is -500 cals, not -200.