Breakfast

Options
vivmom2014
vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
When I eat a cooked breakfast, I almost always go over for the day. Some days I like to lightly saute fresh vegetables and scramble in an egg, topped with nuts and Parm. It isn't very caloric, say 225 calories. That's a "big" breakfast for me and helps me get enough protein in, at which I am never successful.

On days I have a chaste bowl of fruit or skip entirely, I'm under calorie goal by the close of day. (But I don't want to be locked into this everyday either.)

So the question is: why? Is it physical, mental, both? Inquiring minds want to know. :)

Replies

• ReginaPhelangie
    ReginaPhelangie Posts: 13 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    You should never skip breakfast. #1 you have just gone 8-10 hours without eating and your body needs fuel. #2 your metabolism is faster in the morning and you'll burn more of your calories/carbs etc off if you eat the "biggest" meal in the morning. #3 it can cause you to over eat later because you haven't properly fueled your body for the day.

From what I've read, and as a general rule I try to follow (but of course not always), breakfast should have the highest calorie count and the highest carb count and the last meal of the day should have the lowest. Your body digests more slowly at night. Plus if you're going to be consuming the calories etc it makes more sense to consume them at a time when your body is more apt to burn them off rather than store them right? I don't know how many calories your goal to eat a day is but I think as a general rule 400-500 for breakfast 300-400 for lunch and dinner is recommended. (Or less if you snack during the day or have a lower calorie goal. Mine is 1200 so I try for 300 each meal and 2 snacks @ 100 calories.)

Maybe try the omelet with 1 whole egg and 3 egg whites or all egg whites. This gives you the protein but cuts the calories back considerably. You could also cut out the nuts and use feta (if you like it) instead of parm which is one of the "healthier" cheeses plus it has a great salty taste. And add a piece of whole grain toast. Fiber keeps you full too. That would save some calories for other meals?

Also if you're having trouble with getting your protein in chickpeas, beans, & fish are great sources and go well on top of salads. I eat them a lot! I think if you eat a good, balanced, protein and fiber rich breakfast you'll find yourself eating less at lunch and dinner and still being able to stay under your calorie count. Good luck :)
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    You should never skip breakfast. #1 you have just gone 8-10 hours without eating and your body needs fuel. #2 your metabolism is faster in the morning and you'll burn more of your calories/carbs etc off if you eat the "biggest" meal in the morning. #3 it can cause you to over eat later because you haven't properly fueled your body for the day.

From what I've read, and as a general rule I try to follow (but of course not always), breakfast should have the highest calorie count and the highest carb count and the last meal of the day should have the lowest. Your body digests more slowly at night. Plus if you're going to be consuming the calories etc it makes more sense to consume them at a time when your body is more apt to burn them off rather than store them right? I don't know how many calories your goal to eat a day is but I think as a general rule 400-500 for breakfast 300-400 for lunch and dinner is recommended. (Or less if you snack during the day or have a lower calorie goal. Mine is 1200 so I try for 300 each meal and 2 snacks @ 100 calories.)

Maybe try the omelet with 1 whole egg and 3 egg whites or all egg whites. This gives you the protein but cuts the calories back considerably. You could also cut out the nuts and use feta (if you like it) instead of parm which is one of the "healthier" cheeses plus it has a great salty taste. And add a piece of whole grain toast. Fiber keeps you full too. That would save some calories for other meals?

Also if you're having trouble with getting your protein in chickpeas, beans, & fish are great sources and go well on top of salads. I eat them a lot! I think if you eat a good, balanced, protein and fiber rich breakfast you'll find yourself eating less at lunch and dinner and still being able to stay under your calorie count. Good luck :)

First, I love your name! Epic. However, I must respectfully disagree that you should never skip breakfast. Eat if you are hungry. Don't eat if you're not. If you start getting hungry mid-morning, eat something then. Also, it does not matter whatsoever what time of day you eat your calories. The total number of calories per day is all that matters for weight loss. Your body does not digest more slowly at night and your metabolism is not faster in the morning.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »

First, I love your name! Epic. However, I must respectfully disagree that you should never skip breakfast. Eat if you are hungry. Don't eat if you're not. If you start getting hungry mid-morning, eat something then. Also, it does not matter whatsoever what time of day you eat your calories. The total number of calories per day is all that matters for weight loss. Your body does not digest more slowly at night and your metabolism is not faster in the morning.

I agree with all of the above-- including the kudos regarding the username!

If it works better for you to have breakfast, then do. If you're not hungry in the morning or find it's easier to stick to your goals if you eat later, then do that.

Personally, I have breakfast after my workouts. Eating a good breakfast keeps me from overeating throughout the day. If I skip breakfast, I end up snacking all day. However, I've spoken with people who find the exact opposite to be true for them.

Find your magic combination and run with it. Good luck!

• werdnek
    werdnek Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I used to find a big breakfast made me hungrier during the day too. This breakfast would include toast. I was put on a restricted diet excluding fruit, dairy, pasta, potatoes, bread. I was to put cream in my coffee instead of milk because it is the healthier choice.

For breakfast, I'll do bacon and 2 eggs. That's keeps me going. I had one good day where I did the sauted veggies including mushrooms (I find mushrooms filling) with a mix of egg and egg whites. This I fed on through out the day. It help with my weight loss the next day. This diet certainly help dump off the easy pounds. What I refer to as the hard pounds is the final 15. But I'm so glad to be in the final 15, Im not complaining. I love swimming in my big girls pants - makes me free so thin. It feels so good.
  • LittlePinkShotgun
    LittlePinkShotgun Posts: 101 Member
    Options

I also need to disagree with this. There is nothing wrong with skipping breakfast. I have 'brunch' all the time and on those days I'm usually under my calorie goal.

Do what works for you. There is no 'one size fits all' solution for nutrition only rules of thumb :)
  • LittlePinkShotgun
    LittlePinkShotgun Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    When I eat a cooked breakfast, I almost always go over for the day. Some days I like to lightly saute fresh vegetables and scramble in an egg, topped with nuts and Parm. It isn't very caloric, say 225 calories. That's a "big" breakfast for me and helps me get enough protein in, at which I am never successful.

On days I have a chaste bowl of fruit or skip entirely, I'm under calorie goal by the close of day. (But I don't want to be locked into this everyday either.)

So the question is: why? Is it physical, mental, both? Inquiring minds want to know. :)

LOL I have no idea! But since it works... I wouldn't mess with it >.<
  • MyFullName
    MyFullName Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I agree that skipping breakfast is a bad idea. Every nutritionist I've worked with or consulted has recommended eating within 90 minutes of waking up. The calories of the meal depend on one's fitness goals-- mine is to maintain my current weight, so I aim to have between 400-500 calories at breakfast.

I try to follow this, but the one thing I ALWAYS do is chug 16oz of water as soon as I wake up. It wakes me up naturally, and sets me up to stay hydrated throughout the rest of the day.