Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Thrivemarket...do you use it?

MrsBailey149
MrsBailey149 Posts: 248 Member
I live in a small town. I do not have a whole foods or Trader Joe's anywhere near me. I have an Aldi's and another small (highly priced) grocery chain- Piggly Wiggly. There is a small organic/whole foods mini market in a neighboring town, but the prices are so high! I was planning to get some ghee, almond butter, almond flour, arrowroot, organic maple syrup and other pantry items.

Anyway, I came across this Thrivemarket.com site, where for a yearly fee, you can get discounted whole foods shipped (free if you spend $49+). Does anyone use this? If so, is it worth it?

When you first sign up you get a month free. I was thinking of just loading up on pantry items during that month and then not doing the membership. I really like that they have a Paleo tab that takes you right too all of the paleo approved foods.

I'm assuming those items I mentioned above will last a while in the pantry?? I've been sticking to meats, veggies, and too much nuts and fruit :/ lately...but I do like the occasional paleo pancakes on the weekend.

Replies

• angelnorgaard
    angelnorgaard Posts: 25 Member
    I used it once, The prices are not bad.. I didn't keep my membership because My first order was lost along the way they said, but shipping department showed it never left the warehouse, and then when I did finally get it (4 weeks later) it was missing one of the items. they did credit me for it but, it would have been nice to have gotten a notification about it being out of stock and put on back order. They were not willing to back order it for me.. its a bit higher but if I want something I order it from Amazon. and being an amazon prime member I don't pay shipping to it kind of equals out. I also am from a small town, So i understand your problems in obtaining these items.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    I get most of my food from farmer's markets these days, and actually don't use much in the way of pantry stuff like what Thrive has, so it's made it difficult to justify it right now (maybe when they mature a little more), but I've been building a list of stuff that Thrive could probably help me with. I think it's definitely potentially useful if you don't have access to reasonably-priced organic/sustainable stuff and aren't picky on selection otherwise (they often, so far, only have one or two varieties of any given type of item). (For what it's worth, I've never been able to justify a Costco/Sam's Club type membership, either.)

Also, right now, they're the only supplier of Primal Blueprint mayo. :)

Oh, and as for membership fees, there seem to be a ton of offers for free months. Like Mark Sisson often has offers, Wellnessmama seems to have a standing offer, other bloggers seem to have them, too, and of course, the original month when you first sign up. I don't know if they stack, but if they do, you can probably get 6 months or a full year completely free to really try it out.
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 409 Member
    I use Thrive. I get almond butter and cashew butter, cooking oils (coconut, avocado, etc), coconut aminos, tea, etc. I hate going to the grocery store for those things so it is just easier to order them through Thrive. And they have Primal Kitchen Avocado oil Mayo since I can't seem to successfully make my own...lol
  • jrosto
    jrosto Posts: 95 Member
    I use Thrive for many of my staples and I have saved a lot of money over Sprouts and Whole Foods. The packaging has always been great (even over-packed a bit in the beginning), and everything arrives fresh.
  • Moosie232
    Moosie232 Posts: 5 Member
    I just got some tasty Snacks and it's nice that you can just use the paleo tab and not have to wade through tons of foods that could or could not be paleo friendly. And the prices really are reasonable. I think it has some great potential!
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    I've been using Thrive for a couple of months. The prices are good, and I make sure to get the free shipping too. This is hard for a single person to get over $50 in the primal mayo and other food items. I've bought my shower gel & laundry detergent from them too. But, I will only be ordering every 4 months or so. I like the convenience of having things shipped to my door.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    I wish they had this in the UK... anything branded "health food" here is ridiculously expensive.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    I kind of put this on the backburner but really need to look into it. I signed up for thier emails and it seems like they do a lot of promotions that are definately worth it. Just need to do a detailed price compare to see if the math works. Sorry I know this is not really an answer, I guess I could say I am also considering using them and am in for the details :D
  • MrsBailey149
    MrsBailey149 Posts: 248 Member
    Thanks for everyone's input! I have my cart filled with enough to get my shipping free, but I haven't checked out yet. I don't think that I'll do the membership, I'll just load up while I get my free 2 months. Most of the items are pantry things, which decent shelf-life. I'm the only one living this lifestyle in my home, so those things will last me for a while. Someone suggested vitacost to me, but the layout of the site was confusing. I love the "paleo" tab on thrivemarket.
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 409 Member
    I wanted my Mayo so bad I went ahead and bought it on Thrive...and had to pay shipping. So I guess it is worth the savings if you buy over $50 of stuff but if you have to pay for shipping you're shooting yourself in the foot.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    I looked at it closely before deciding NO. I can get the same or better deals on Amazon, at Walmart, at local wholesalers, etc. I also use local vendors as much as possible, but if you are in a bad area for ti then look at Amazon first and see.