Happily Starting Fresh

flatlandrunner
flatlandrunner Posts: 54 Member
Hi All,

So I just came back from a fabulous honeymoon in Europe and wouldn't you know it, eating schnitzel, potatoes, cheese, every baked item we could, twice-daily croissants, sweets galore and drinking ALL the beer in sight for 3 weeks has led to some slight weight gain... :) (15 pounds to be exact)

Also, just prior to the honeymoon our fridge/freezer went kaput for about 24 hours (I immediately salvaged what I could as soon as I could, throwing out what wasn't safe and the all was fixed in a day or so) but upon further inspection today I found that things really did thaw out more than I thought so EVERYTHING in the freezer has been thrown out just to be sure <- I also realize how fortunate I am that my husband and I are in a position to throw away everything and still be cool to re-stock without any burden nutritional/financial-wise.

Not unlike Monty Python, I am choosing to look on the bright side of life *whistles*, and am seizing this opportunity of post-trip bare cupboards, fridge and freezer as a chance to start fresh with eating clean, getting back into running (distance training) and getting back to working on my home business. You hear that world, I am a triple threat... except truth be told, I am about as threatening as a nectarine :p

Also in Europe there is an AMAZING Middle Eastern and Mediterranean food scene so I have come back with all sorts of recipes and inspiration in mind to not only succeed but eat some serious eats along the way.

So with that back-story explained, what motivates you to eat clean?

Happy Thursday!

Replies

• topathemorning
    topathemorning Posts: 346 Member
    Potential knee replacement surgery, and exacerberated asthmatic/bronchitis symptoms that as I recall from losing weight several years ago, all but disappeared. So, it is time to make life style changes. I retired a year ago, and thought 'what the heck' and like you traveled and ate out a lot. Now I've realized the consequences (that I'd all, but forgotten) of enjoying life to the max. I'm finding a new joy to life eating "clean" and excercising. I'm loving how my morning swim, and great foods make me feel. So this time, it's not a diet, it's a lifestyle change.
  • TBrownCVT
    TBrownCVT Posts: 85 Member
    Hey, you gotta watch out for those nectarines. They'll get you.

For me, it's my health. When I was young, I had constant stomach problems and asthma that made me prone to persistent respiratory infections, pneumonia, and bronchitis. When I quit eating or drinking dairy products and cut way back on sugar, I don't get sick at all. I like being the employee who every can count on. I never have to call out.

Also, I like to help other people. The more I experiment and learn about healthy food for me, the more I can help other people do the same.