How to go Low Carb without feeling over sacraficed?

Options
2»

Replies

• SeattleGal2015
    SeattleGal2015 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you've heard of the GAPS diet which is meant to heal the gut (www.gaps.me) but it says to start eating pasture butter with a touch of raw honey as the fat soluble vitamins in the pasture butter are what your body needs when it craves carbs - works for me!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    minties82 wrote: »
    I don't get the whole deprivation thing. I get to stop eating boring stuff like bread, and make delicious foods my best friends? Sounds like a huge win to me.

That's how I was. There was a time when I kind of wanted noodles or bread, solely because I was getting overloaded with flavors and wanted something boring and rather tasteless.
  • xLoveLikeWinterx
    xLoveLikeWinterx Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    minties82 wrote: »
    I don't get the whole deprivation thing. I get to stop eating boring stuff like bread, and make delicious foods my best friends? Sounds like a huge win to me.

I think some people must not have health issues or something. Carbs were depriving me of LIFE so sending them to hell felt like Victory. :)

I feel better physically at lower carb levels, but I have IR/PCOS/Dental reasons to have to watch carbs/sugars. I think if I didn't, I'd miss the carbs more. Right now, I love LCHF, absolutely enjoy it, and I finally feel clear-headed for the first time in a LONG time.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Physical improvements with this woe has given me a willpower that I've never known before!
  • tlmeyn
    tlmeyn Posts: 369 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    GSD_Mama wrote: »
    tlmeyn wrote: »
    I do miss bread and orange juice at Sunday breakfast, and grilled cheese sandwiches. And corn tortillas.... Sigh. Ok. Special occasions

There is a substitute for everything you've listed. Google is your friend to find recipes you can use, bread, grilled cheese and tortillas, it takes some time to prepare but you will be better for it. :)

As for orange juice, squeeze your own but use in moderation

I do.. just not the same, but it doesn't make me eat the things I shouldn't. I have made all kind of flat breads and pizza crusts (fat head, cauliflower). Still looking for "the one" :) I guess I am in this kind if "a glass of orange juice will kill me" mode.

I guess what gets me too is the CALORIES in the substitutes. but then again, I have no problem eating calories when it's pork rinds, so I guess I need to shut up and stop whining :blush:
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    GSD_Mama wrote: »
    I do miss bread and orange juice at Sunday breakfast, and grilled cheese sandwiches. And corn tortillas.... Sigh. Ok. Special occasions

There is a substitute for everything you've listed. Google is your friend to find recipes you can use, bread, grilled cheese and tortillas, it takes some time to prepare but you will be better for it. :)

As for orange juice, squeeze your own but use in moderation

I do.. just not the same, but it doesn't make me eat the things I shouldn't. I have made all kind of flat breads and pizza crusts (fat head, cauliflower). Still looking for "the one" :) I guess I am in this kind if "a glass of orange juice will kill me" mode.

I guess what gets me too is the CALORIES in the substitutes. but then again, I have no problem eating calories when it's pork rinds, so I guess I need to shut up and stop whining :blush:

IMO, the substitutes aren't worth it, and just keep the cravings alive. If you're just starting, just eat until you're not hungry and don't worry about calories for a week or two.