Avacados, tomatoes and eggs, showing carbs in MFP

Options
2»

Replies

• tishball
    tishball Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    That is a great tip on the usda search thing. I suppose because I am only starting , and getting surprises with what I thought were non carbs, I wasn't sure what I could safely eat, lol. Trying to stay below 30 but anywhere under fifty and I am happy. five days in and I have had no changes in weight, grrrrr but my waistband seems a little more lose, isn't that odd.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I have lost 27 pounds but I look like I've lost 50. I'm losing inches more than weight.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    tishball wrote: »
    That is a great tip on the usda search thing. I suppose because I am only starting , and getting surprises with what I thought were non carbs, I wasn't sure what I could safely eat, lol. Trying to stay below 30 but anywhere under fifty and I am happy. five days in and I have had no changes in weight, grrrrr but my waistband seems a little more lose, isn't that odd.

Actually, it's perfectly normal. A lot of people won't see the scale move for a month or more, but their measurements are all shrinking, so it's obviously working. According to the scale, I only lose twice a month, and some months, only once, but those loses equate to what would be a steady rate for the number of weeks.
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    In the original Atkins diet, eggs were considered a "free" food - eat as many as you like. You'd only count the carbs in foods that were neither meat, nor fat, nor eggs - e.g., the carbs in vegetables, fruit, nuts, cream, cheese, etc. Also, shellfish have some carbs, so he limited those. For example, cooked mussels contain 6.28 g carbs per 3 oz serving. The USDA lists a large egg as having 0.36 g carbs. Don't worry about the carbs in eggs. Humans cannot digest fiber, so it's safe to subtract the fiber grams from your total carbs.
  • tishball
    tishball Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Yeaaaaaa, the scale moved. I was waiting for the water weight to leave, and I had a gin and tonic last night, and this morning I was 5lbs down. woooooohooooooo. I am getting into the swing of it now, managed to keep under 30 carbs most days this week, and with your help am learning to not stress about the carbs in some stuff.
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Don't all user added entries have an * in front of them?

I just look for the ones that are * free.

BUT, if I'm having a fried egg, I'll use Egg - raw and then add the fat I used to fry it.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    MistressPi wrote: »
    In the original Atkins diet, eggs were considered a "free" food - eat as many as you like. You'd only count the carbs in foods that were neither meat, nor fat, nor eggs - e.g., the carbs in vegetables, fruit, nuts, cream, cheese, etc. Also, shellfish have some carbs, so he limited those. For example, cooked mussels contain 6.28 g carbs per 3 oz serving. The USDA lists a large egg as having 0.36 g carbs. Don't worry about the carbs in eggs. Humans cannot digest fiber, so it's safe to subtract the fiber grams from your total carbs.

This is kind of what I'm doing. I don't really worry about the carbs in my meat, fat, eggs, etc. I do loosely track cheese and such... Kind of interesting.
  • jessica22222
    jessica22222 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    My Helmans brand mayo has 0 carbs just put some in my tuna :)