Low carb pancakes?

Options
lauraesh0384
lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
Has anyone ever found a good recipe for low carb pancakes? I would prefer one that doesn't involve baking mixes. I tried the cream cheese and eggs way and they were too thin when trying to flip. I got frustrated and threw them out. I have seen some that use almond flour, coconut flour or protein powder. I was just curious if anyone found a good recipe. I've never been a big pancake person, but every now and again they sound good.

Replies

• GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Pinterest has loads of pancakes. I like my cream cheese crepes :)
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I also tried the cream cheese egg ones and figured out you have to have the pan heat pretty high or they just break apart.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    You mean these? http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2014/07/egg-fast-recipe-snickerdoodle-crepes-low-carb.html

Like @AngInCanada said, you have to get the pan pretty hot, like just shy of burning the butter hot. It's tricky, but they make awesome pancakes, in my opinion.
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
  • lauraesh0384
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    You mean these? http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2014/07/egg-fast-recipe-snickerdoodle-crepes-low-carb.html

Like @AngInCanada said, you have to get the pan pretty hot, like just shy of burning the butter hot. It's tricky, but they make awesome pancakes, in my opinion.

I saw those crepes before and I was practically drooling over them. They look delicious! It says one serving is 434 calories. I'm curious if one serving is one crepe or two.

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try these, hopefully this weekend:
    http://kristopketo.com/work/holy-grail-pancakes/
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

I saw those crepes before and I was practically drooling over them. They look delicious! It says one serving is 434 calories. I'm curious if one serving is one crepe or two.

It says it yields 4 servings of 2 crepes, plus 2tbsp filling. So one serving is two crepes plus filling. I worked out the calculations before and it works out to about 150 calories per crepe, sans filling, though I get 6 crepes per batch instead of 8. I'm just as happy to put a little butter and/or cream cheese on them and eat them without the full amount of filling, though.
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Just made cream cheese pancakes this morning! I fried them in coconut oil on medium high heat. Just wait until they set before flipping. A bit tricky, and thin like crepes, but they're good. I've also made them with cottage cheese and eggs. Made the same way. More protein, less fat, texture a bit thicker. Melt butter on top. mmm
  • jumanajane
    jumanajane Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2012/01/cream-cheese-pancakes.html
    I use this and i agree you have to get the butter nearly burning. I actually use a little butter and coconut oil. Cook the first side for quite a while, until it looks fairly dry and then flip carefully and just cook briefly to colour the other side. In the comments below she is asked for the nutritional stuff per pancake but as she rightly says... everyone will cook to a different size so...per batch is pretty good anyway!
    Approx nutrition info per batch: 344 calories, 29g fat, 2.5g net carbs, 17g protein. This always sets me up for a good long time. I just stack the 4 and munch away.

I tried adding 2 tbsp almond flour once and 1/2 tsp baking powder. Not bad but I prefer the straight ones. Experiment until you find something your tastebuds are happy with.
    I have made them and stuffed them too with chicken then covered in cheese sauce! Yum.
  • lauraesh0384
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'm going to have to pick up some more cream cheese and I'll probably try the Snickerdoodle crepes next weekend when I have more time. They look and sound absolutely divine! I'll give the cream cheese pancakes another go again sometime as well.
  • lauraesh0384
    Options
    jumanajane wrote: »
    I use this and i agree you have to get the butter nearly burning. I actually use a little butter and coconut oil. Cook the first side for quite a while, until it looks fairly dry and then flip carefully and just cook briefly to colour the other side. In the comments below she is asked for the nutritional stuff per pancake but as she rightly says... everyone will cook to a different size so...per batch is pretty good anyway!
    Approx nutrition info per batch: 344 calories, 29g fat, 2.5g net carbs, 17g protein. This always sets me up for a good long time. I just stack the 4 and munch away.

I tried adding 2 tbsp almond flour once and 1/2 tsp baking powder. Not bad but I prefer the straight ones. Experiment until you find something your tastebuds are happy with.
    I have made them and stuffed them too with chicken then covered in cheese sauce! Yum.

So I see it says 2 ounces of cream cheese, but doesn't specify it needs to be softened. I softened mine when I tried if before. Could that be one area I went wrong?
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options

So I see it says 2 ounces of cream cheese, but doesn't specify it needs to be softened. I softened mine when I tried if before. Could that be one area I went wrong?

I always soften mine, and it works fine. What you do have to make sure you do is let the batter sit for about 5 minutes after you're done using the blender or food processor on it, to let the bubbles rise out. I've tried rushing that before and it makes a mess.

Also, a suggestion for anyone trying them - I use them more like fake bread than crepes - take some slices of ham and swiss cheese, layer them, fry them for just a little bit until the cheese starts to melt and the ham warms. Transfer the stack to between two cc pancakes, making sure there's a cheese layer by the pancakes, and fry it all up together to make a monte cristo, then serve with syrup substitute of your choice. That puts a pretty big increase on the total calories, but it's very much worth making room for dinner (or breakfast).
  • Dragonwolf
    Options

Doubtful. Blending it all up will result in pretty much the same texture whether you soften the cream cheese beforehand or not, and the crepes recipe, which is just the pancakes scaled up and some cinnamon added, mentions to soften the cream cheese.

I never bother softening it, usually because I don't think about it ahead of time, and have never had an issue. Cream cheese is pretty soft to begin with, anyway.
  • Fat4Fuel2
    Fat4Fuel2 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I just use eggs and call it a pancake... I'll whisk 2 or 3 eggs together in a bowl, add some cinnamon, and fry it like one giant pancake. Then I'll add some butter melted with a tad of Walden Farm's Syrup on top. I honestly like these better than the real ones! It's an egg, but it's a sweet pancake egg.
  • lauraesh0384
    Options
    Fat4Fuel2 wrote: »
    I just use eggs and call it a pancake... I'll whisk 2 or 3 eggs together in a bowl, add some cinnamon, and fry it like one giant pancake. Then I'll add some butter melted with a tad of Walden Farm's Syrup on top. I honestly like these better than the real ones! It's an egg, but it's a sweet pancake egg.

I do pretty much the same thing, but I make it into an omelette. I call it French toast omelette. I use eggs, a little HWC, vanilla SF syrup and cinnamon. Top with butter and SF syrup. It's delicious. It's basically how you would make French toast minus the bread and to me it tastes a lot like it.
  • Fat4Fuel2
    Fat4Fuel2 Posts: 280 Member
    Options

I do pretty much the same thing, but I make it into an omelette. I call it French toast omelette. I use eggs, a little HWC, vanilla SF syrup and cinnamon. Top with butter and SF syrup. It's delicious. It's basically how you would make French toast minus the bread and to me it tastes a lot like it.

That sounds amazing!
  • jumanajane
    jumanajane Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I dont bother warming the cream cheese, I just whizz it all without any problems. I agree with JPW1990 that you need to let it sit for 5 mins or so but after thats its just fine. Very quick and easy brekkie.
  • lauraesh0384
    Options

That sounds amazing!

Forgot to add that I add Splenda to it as well. But you should definitely try it sometime. It's delicious. It's a nice breakfast with some sausage to go along with it. :)