Rum

jessica22222
jessica22222 Posts: 374 Member
I'm going to a bday party this weekend and of course, there's going to be boozing. Is rum ok? With soda water? I've read it has 0 carbs. I just started this keto diet (day3) and don't want to ruin it. I'm finding the diet very easy to adhere to. Just the booze....I can give it up, but not for this bday! Maybe just limit myself to 1 or 2.

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    edited May 2015
    Your body will process the alcohol first, then carbs, then your fats. Keep the drinking to an absolute minimum, and only if you won't eat everything in sight mindlessly once you've had a drink or two. It can throw you out, but if you're reasonable, it won't likely set you completely back. Drink a full 8 oz. glass of water between each drink, limit yourself to two shots worth total, and be reasonable, and you might be okay. Everyone is different. If you have 0 carbs, it might even be not as bad as you expect. But, if you get dehydrated at all (which happens easily when you first start), carb flu combined with a hangover might make you wish you had died... So make sure to keep up sodium and your electrolytes (potassium and magnesium)... Wishing you luck.

If it throws you out, just get right back on target...that's all we can do. It is life after all. Live it.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    I had a few vodka soda water over the weekend. Just be careful, I ended up going to far because my body seemed to handle it differently. I'd never had such a headache the next day and was much more dehydrated than usual and got cramps in my legs because of it. I'd recommend after each drink have one or two glasses of water
  • jessica22222
    jessica22222 Posts: 374 Member
    Thanks for the replies! I will indulge, but make sure I limit myself. Thanks for the warning...wouldn't want to be dancing on the tables! Water water water :)