PCOS/Metformin/Losing Weight?

Options
RusalkaDevushka
RusalkaDevushka Posts: 10 Member
Hey, all.

I did a rudimentary search to try and find an answer, but there was a lot of information and I was having trouble finding the answers I was looking for. I was just told about this group after making this post on the regular message boards.

I was recently diagnosed with PCOS. I'm learning that there is apparently a larger club of women with this syndrome than I previously believed. Before I was diagnosed, I'd lost 60 pounds in 2013 by logging my food, and exercising a ton (2 days of Zumba, 2 days of yoga, and 2 days of ellipitcal). I cut out soda, and cut out most bad foods, but was using a lot of processed meals to get through the issue of time (full time student working full time as well).

I've been put on Metformin, 500mg. I know that this is half the dosage of a Type II diabetic (I dated one for four years, so I'm very familiar with Metformin). But this is the problem. Since I know that it lowers insulin levels, and I know I'm trying to lose weight, I'm worried that I will not eat enough to counteract the Metformin, and I don't want my blood sugar to plummet overnight, since I take the pills in the morning and in the evening.

I don't see my doctor until July; she's asked for a follow up to check my insulin and weight loss. I don't want to just be at a weight loss stand still while I wait to see her. I know that there are other women dealing with this, and I'm curious what y'all are doing to offset the lowered blood sugar, if anything at all.

Thanks in advance for any help/stories/advice you can give.

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I never had a problem with lowered blood sugar, either on the standard calorie counting diet or on my now low carb, high fat, moderate protein diet while taking Metformin... Maybe others can give better advice.

I know I had to drastically lower my carbs and stagger any dairy to not have the gastro complications, but otherwise, my lethargy related to food dissipated so I think I'm the opposite end of the scale.
  • andisue50
    andisue50 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    There is very little risk of hypoglycemia while taking metformin because of it's mechanism of action. That why it is so frequently/liberally prescribed- the risks of side effects are so low. So you really shouldn't need to worry about it- just keep doing what you are doing!
  • Nounette11
    Nounette11 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I've been on Metformin 500mg for over a year now and, as andisue50 said above, my doctor told me it is unlikely to cause hypoglycemia when you take it.

However, drinking alcohol while on metformin does in fact lower my blood sugar level pretty fast and makes me struggle with it for 12 to 24h after drinking ... (I guess that's why we're supposed to avoid mixing metformin and alcohol... :blush: )

Hope this helps!
  • janismaureen
    janismaureen Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I was on it for 5 years (20 years ago) with good results but I stopped it because i was having some low blood sugar episodes ( i thought it was the metformin and I had reached a normal weight so i though i didn't need it anymore. In reality I was probably just not eating enough at that time) Wrong decision. I just restarted it 5 days ago to HELP my low blood sugar and it is helping ALOT I made an uninformed decision that probably made things harder for me for 15 years. My daughter who is 30 has been on it for many years, whenever she tries to go off of it she feels worse, is hungrier and gains weight. She has PCOS, i do not, i just have bad insulin resistance. The last 5 days, i am having less low blood sugar, less hunger and I have had a much easier time eating within my calorie and carb limitations. I dont do low carb, but I do moderateamts of very high quality carbs.

I have emailed doctors before and had them email me back or call me back or dropped off a letter to be placed on his or her desk. You have a valid question. I am an RN. Most Doctors will get back to you witin a few days.

Also my daughter and I are both on the extended release version. I take it at night, she takes it in the am. It is much easier to take once a day. something to consider. good luck!
  • xesixb
    xesixb Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I'm on metformin as well and lost 60lbs. What has been bothering me lately is hormonal acne. My left jawline is full of tiny pimples. Always had clear skin. Are you on spironolactone as well?
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I've been put on Metformin, 500mg. I know that this is half the dosage of a Type II diabetic (I dated one for four years, so I'm very familiar with Metformin).

Not necessarily. It was just half the dose of the one you dated. Metformin is dosed based on how you respond to it, so it's very individualized.
    But this is the problem. Since I know that it lowers insulin levels, and I know I'm trying to lose weight, I'm worried that I will not eat enough to counteract the Metformin, and I don't want my blood sugar to plummet overnight, since I take the pills in the morning and in the evening.

As others have mentioned, Metformin's mechanism of action does not result in low blood sugar. Metformin simply increases the liver's insulin sensitivity, allowing the body to better gauge when it needs to release glucose into the blood and when to quit doing so.

You can actually be on Metformin and not eat any carbohydrates at all, and in fact, many women find they have to reduce their carbohydrate intake in order to get Metformin to stop causing GI upset issues.
  • LadyThanata
    LadyThanata Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I started Victoza last week. i dont get blood work done again for another 3 weeks- Doctor has me visiting bi weekly. First week down- no side effects for me. But I have lost 5 lbs. Cant drink, cant really eat sugar and cant eat more then a fistful. I work out 3-5 times a week. Im very active. This is working for me. I will update you on week two. In studies, people with A1C problems,obesity,pcos or type 2 diabetes lost on average 10% of their weight. I read reviews from 100's of people, all losing 20-40lbs in mere months. Majority of these people claim to not be active or really change there diet. All of them had improve a1c levels. This is suppose to help regulate my period improve symptoms of pcos and drastically lower my weight.
  • RusalkaDevushka
    Options
    Nounette11 wrote: »
    Hi there,

I've been on Metformin 500mg for over a year now and, as andisue50 said above, my doctor told me it is unlikely to cause hypoglycemia when you take it.

However, drinking alcohol while on metformin does in fact lower my blood sugar level pretty fast and makes me struggle with it for 12 to 24h after drinking ... (I guess that's why we're supposed to avoid mixing metformin and alcohol... :blush: )

Hope this helps!

Yes, I remember reading about that. I don't really drink that much anyway, but sometimes I do like to enjoy an alcoholic drink with dinner if we go out, so I will have to quit that!
  • RusalkaDevushka
    Options
    xesixb wrote: »
    I'm on metformin as well and lost 60lbs. What has been bothering me lately is hormonal acne. My left jawline is full of tiny pimples. Always had clear skin. Are you on spironolactone as well?

No other meds besides the Metformin for the time being. I see my doctor next month; I think we'll be figuring out the next steps once we see how things have been.
  • RusalkaDevushka
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    I've been put on Metformin, 500mg. I know that this is half the dosage of a Type II diabetic (I dated one for four years, so I'm very familiar with Metformin).

Not necessarily. It was just half the dose of the one you dated. Metformin is dosed based on how you respond to it, so it's very individualized.
    But this is the problem. Since I know that it lowers insulin levels, and I know I'm trying to lose weight, I'm worried that I will not eat enough to counteract the Metformin, and I don't want my blood sugar to plummet overnight, since I take the pills in the morning and in the evening.

As others have mentioned, Metformin's mechanism of action does not result in low blood sugar. Metformin simply increases the liver's insulin sensitivity, allowing the body to better gauge when it needs to release glucose into the blood and when to quit doing so.

You can actually be on Metformin and not eat any carbohydrates at all, and in fact, many women find they have to reduce their carbohydrate intake in order to get Metformin to stop causing GI upset issues.

I apologize for generalizing.

I'm actually considering doing a Keto diet, but I'm just quite nervous about cutting out carbs almost completely from my diet, since almost everything I eat has carbs.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options

I'm actually considering doing a Keto diet, but I'm just quite nervous about cutting out carbs almost completely from my diet, since almost everything I eat has carbs.

As a full on carb junkie who has gone Keto, once you're there and committed, it is easier than you would imagine! I'm eating foods I've never eaten before. Compulsion and cravings are gone or managed. Food doesn't control me anymore. I have more energy, more mental clarity, I can get out of bed in the morning without a crane...or backhoe... I can eat foods I'd thought were horrible for me, and I feel better than I ever have as an adult before. EVER. All my blood work is improving.... And I can hear my body's hunger signals now. Not the carb voice that ruled my stomach before. It is so utterly freeing, I don't feel restricted (because there is a compromise for any craving/desire/favorite food), and this is the easiest and best eating plan I've ever been on. Even on day where I want to kill things and eat everything, it isn't off plan stuff, because that part clicked in my brain. When I don't care, it just means I want a second serving of something I normally have one of, I want to eat the whole packet of bacon and not share, or I'm dying for a piece of really dark chocolate (but one is radically enough now!).

I'm not saying there aren't growing pains and that you won't find things that make you miss your old ways, but gosh darned, it's so different a universe for me now. I just keep telling people to try it, because the worst it will do is not work. (hugs)
  • RusalkaDevushka
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

As a full on carb junkie who has gone Keto, once you're there and committed, it is easier than you would imagine! I'm eating foods I've never eaten before. Compulsion and cravings are gone or managed. Food doesn't control me anymore. I have more energy, more mental clarity, I can get out of bed in the morning without a crane...or backhoe... I can eat foods I'd thought were horrible for me, and I feel better than I ever have as an adult before. EVER. All my blood work is improving.... And I can hear my body's hunger signals now. Not the carb voice that ruled my stomach before. It is so utterly freeing, I don't feel restricted (because there is a compromise for any craving/desire/favorite food), and this is the easiest and best eating plan I've ever been on. Even on day where I want to kill things and eat everything, it isn't off plan stuff, because that part clicked in my brain. When I don't care, it just means I want a second serving of something I normally have one of, I want to eat the whole packet of bacon and not share, or I'm dying for a piece of really dark chocolate (but one is radically enough now!).

I'm not saying there aren't growing pains and that you won't find things that make you miss your old ways, but gosh darned, it's so different a universe for me now. I just keep telling people to try it, because the worst it will do is not work. (hugs)

I'm actually on my first day of Keto.

The only thing I'm nervous about is the risk of kidney stones, which can apparently happen if you eat too much protein and oxalate - which seems to be prevalent in Keto - but I'm trying to just stay hydrated and not worry about that. I've seen people who were on Keto and got kidney stones from the change in diet, so I'm terrified I'm going to wake up in a few weeks with terrible pain.
  • KnitOrMiss
    edited June 2015
    Options
    The focus of Keto is eating fats. If you focus on fats, you don't run much risk over overdoing the protein unless you have a preexisting condition. For me, at 240 pounds, roughly 40-45% body fat, my protein range is like 75-130 grams per day. I'd have to get upwards of 250-300+ grams a day without any carbs or fat to go along with it to run in any risk at all. Your body has a great way of balancing itself out. Remember, too, that if you don't get enough protein, your body will not maintain your existing muscles.

The kidney stones and dehydration might be a related to each other thing. Usually, most entering keto are recommended to have at least 100 oz of water/fluids a day, 4500 mg minimum sodium, and supplement with potassium and magnesium. The way of eating naturally dumps at lot of water, and not getting enough water will compound that.

If you haven't already joined this group - try it. In the stickied launch pad post at the top, there is a ton of great info on how to do this well...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Here's a great video too.... http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • prplepeep
    prplepeep Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I just started Metformin for PCOS myself. I'm on week 2 and full of curiosity and questions- this thread was great! :-)
  • RusalkaDevushka
    Options
    The focus of Keto is eating fats. If you focus on fats, you don't run much risk over overdoing the protein unless you have a preexisting condition. For me, at 240 pounds, roughly 40-45% body fat, my protein range is like 75-130 grams per day. I'd have to get upwards of 250-300+ grams a day without any carbs or fat to go along with it to run in any risk at all. Your body has a great way of balancing itself out. Remember, too, that if you don't get enough protein, your body will not maintain your existing muscles.

The kidney stones and dehydration might be a related to each other thing. Usually, most entering keto are recommended to have at least 100 oz of water/fluids a day, 4500 mg minimum sodium, and supplement with potassium and magnesium. The way of eating naturally dumps at lot of water, and not getting enough water will compound that.

If you haven't already joined this group - try it. In the stickied launch pad post at the top, there is a ton of great info on how to do this well...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Here's a great video too.... http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Thank you! I've also seen a website called ibreatheimhungry.com which is wonderful for keto recipes and ideas! If you have not checked it out, do so!
  • RusalkaDevushka
    Options
    prplepeep wrote: »
    I just started Metformin for PCOS myself. I'm on week 2 and full of curiosity and questions- this thread was great! :-)

Well, hey, I'm glad I could help in some way! haha
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options

Thank you! I've also seen a website called ibreatheimhungry.com which is wonderful for keto recipes and ideas! If you have not checked it out, do so!

If you check out the launch pad stickied post on the LCD group, there are a bunch of other links, too, to other sites as highly recommended as IBreatheImHungry...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10103966/start-here-the-lcd-launch-pad
  • LisaJayne71
    LisaJayne71 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS so am going to bump this to read completely later on
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    The search function on groups is atrocious, so I personally recommend copying and pasting any threads you want to keep to yourself in email... It is the only way I can personally keep up!!
  • 2Blackbirds
    2Blackbirds Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just started Metformin last night, and I'm glad there's a community here for support!

My background: I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2009 at the age of 31, but I've probably had it since adolescence. My mother died of uterine cancer in 2011 (and had estrogen-positive breast cancer before that), most likely caused by the Hormonal Replacement Therapy she was on for 3 years after menopause, so I am prohibited from taking any kind of hormonal medication (like birth control) to control my PCOS.

About ten years ago, I got up to 195 pounds and managed to lose 50 lbs through a combination of eating within a strict calorie limit of 1350, exercising A LOT, and eating low-carb (and thanks to going to a dietician to create a food plan and help me stick to it!). Unfortunately, depression stuck after my mother died, and a combination of eating for comfort, the depression meds, and well, the depression itself has caused me to gain the 50 pounds back within the past two years.

That, combined with recently realizing PCOS is making my hair a lot thinner, motivated me to go to an endocrinologist last week, and now I'm on Metformin ER (500 mg/day for the first week, 1000 mg/day after that). My stomach feels a little upset this morning, but it's not bad and if anything, it's just making me not want to eat a snack before lunch. I know Metformin can cause stomach upset if you eat a lot of refined carbs, so I'm focusing on eating a lot of protein and vegetables and avoiding carb-heavy meals and sweets.

Hopefully, the combination of Metformin and gently reducing carbs will help me get back to a healthy weight without needing to strictly track and count my calories/carbs. That kind of tracking did make me lose weight, but it got really obsessive for me, to the point where I would rather remain overweight than get back into that mindset again. :(

I'd love to hear your experiences on Metformin and what it's done for your weight and other PCOS symptoms like period regularity, unwanted body hair, thinning head hair, acne, etc.!