What's the best way to increase calories?

Options
Norahoefer
Norahoefer Posts: 10 Member
I understand that I should do it gradually, but when you add those extra calories what kinds of food are you adding? I would say that we eat pretty healthy...lots of fresh fruits and veggies, very little read meat, lots of whole grains--and cheese, I love cheese on practically everything! Can I add more cheese to my life or do I add more fruits and veggies? Should I start drinking more milk (something I enjoy but avoid because of the calories right now)?
Thanks!

Replies

• MandaLeigh123
    MandaLeigh123 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Drink and eat whatever makes you full and whatever makes you happy. Learn to enjoy all those foods again that you've been denying yourself. It was a good chance for me to learn that I had control over foods that were before off limits. A lot of people here start off adding full fat everything: full fat milk, cottage cheese, icecream, butter, oil... no more of this no-fat stuff. Add cheese! Just keep up with your measuring so you don't accidentally end up eating 1,000 extra calories of cheese that you didn't intend to eat.
    I added all sorts of stuff and was really happy to add back treats in. It was nice to have some french fries again... mayonnaise, more creamer in my coffee... potato chips. I added more peanut butter and almond butter. Bagels came back in to my life! Always good to add in stuff with protein, everyone else will tell you. I actually don't focus on protein that much and get the minimum recommended protein amount and I'm doing fine a-ok.
  • lovesretirement
    lovesretirement Posts: 2,661 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'm wondering that increasing to full fat dairy and other items may affect cholesterol levels. I don't have a cholesterol problem, and my numbers are within range, but wouldn't full fat affect those numbers at some point?

Also, what are some ways to increase cals without increasing sodium levels? Just by eating exercise cals this week, it was impossible to keep the levels at my set 1800.

I suspect that there is going to be a challenge eating more yet keeping macros balanced at 40/30/30. With the right combination of food and planning, though, it should work out.

Thanks!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    As the US government as recently admitted on their recommendations based on research available for good 30 years - eating fat doesn't effect cholesterol - your body makes the vast majority of it anyway.

If you have high blood pressure problems, then sodium matters.
    If not, then just eat reasonable amount, but don't go too nuts worrying about it.
    Usually talked about when dieting as merely a way to lose some water weight, that's all.
    As soon as normal diet returns, or higher sodium day happens - it comes right back.
    So eating at average level is better for weight fluctuations.