pork rinds?

Options
13»

Replies

• ttgrandma
    ttgrandma Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I like these with my tuna salad for a no carb lunch. the satisfy my salt craving.
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I get the ones from Amazon that you "puff" yourself in the oven or microwave. They are brilliant. I dip them in sour cream mixed with melted butter and Franks Red Hot. yum yum
  • greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Oh I just had the most amazing taste! I had the BBQ flavored pork rinds with cream cheese and pickles - YUM!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Bbq flavored is my fav!!!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Just read if low on sodium pigging out on a bag (I would never do that :) ) can keep the scales from dropping or to even shoot up due to added water retention until the sodium level drops back to our new "normal".
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I just stumbled upon this group the other day, and I think I have found my home. I LOVE pork rinds! My husband teases me, but they are a great crunchy, salty snack instead of crackers or chips. I usually get BBQ pork rinds from a local dollar store and stock up.

Never thought of dipping them or using tabasco though!!

Welcome to the group. This is a safe place with some with real experience. I have been at it for 8 months and health is improving.

• craziecritter
    craziecritter Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I use them as my french fries and potato chips. Get a low carb burger from Hardee's with no ketchup or tomato and I'm in heaven!
  • Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Pork rinds? My first thought was "ick" and my second was to go add them to my grocery list. lol. Who would have ever thought? My downfall is salty potato chips and I cannot stop at just a few, so they aren't welcome in my house anymore. But I wouldn't think I could eat too many pork rinds at one sitting because the protein will fill me up... ?

I can't wait to try them. I'll read the ingredients and be sure to get the ones with no weird ingredients like you all suggested.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Pork rinds? My first thought was "ick" and my second was to go add them to my grocery list. lol. Who would have ever thought? My downfall is salty potato chips and I cannot stop at just a few, so they aren't welcome in my house anymore. But I wouldn't think I could eat too many pork rinds at one sitting because the protein will fill me up... ?

I can't wait to try them. I'll read the ingredients and be sure to get the ones with no weird ingredients like you all suggested.

Homemade cheese crisps sprinkled with a bit of popcorn seasoning after they are cooked can be a similar potato chip substitute...
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    My downfall is salty potato chips and I cannot stop at just a few, so they aren't welcome in my house anymore. But I wouldn't think I could eat too many pork rinds at one sitting because the protein will fill me up... ?

One of the reasons I love eating high-fat...

I can eat an entire family-sized bag of crisps no problem... I think if I tried to eat the equivalent in pork rinds I'd die. :p
  • Teneko
    Teneko Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh.
    New discovery while I was at the local co-op grocery store:
    http://baconsheir.com/

I just picked up a bag of habanero and one of rosemary. I usually have Daisy sour cream to dip my pork rinds into...
    This stuff just...OMFG. I inhaled the bag of habanero pepper pork clouds. Didn't even make it to the fridge for the sour cream. And I don't even really like super spicy foods, either. :D
    So good. The ingredients are so simple and clean. I can't believe the amazing taste and texture on these.
    Ever get the roof of your mouth all cut up from chicharrones or potato chips? Not these. They are indeed like fluffy pork clouds. They remind me of Funyuns (because of the texture and the onion powder), but SPICY.
    My lips burn with joy. :p

-T.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Praise the baby Jesus these exist. I haven't tried pork rinds in years because I didn't like them, but being that I'm counting carbs I thought I'd give em another go. Soooo good. I have a regular and bbq flavor, and like the bbq better. I can eat stuff out of a bag again, yay!
  • Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    So I mentioned these to my husband and he brought home a bag from wherever he was doing errands today. His are lime and chili flavored, and they do have msg and other ingredients in them. When I buy some for myself I'll read the label better, but it was sweet of my husband to bring them home. And, they're not bad. lol.

But the interesting thing is that the serving size listed on the bag is 1 ounce, which is 1/3 of the package. So I weighed out one ounce. Started eating. And put more than half an ounce back. Not because I didn't like them but simply because I couldn't eat any more. This is excellent because now I can have salty and crunchy and not eat the entire huge bag!

Thanks so much for this tip!!
  • lovayou
    lovayou Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    So frustrated that I can't find these in Ontario Canada. I love sour cream and would love to dip these for a treat.
    I have checked many stores without any luck.
  • Teneko
    Teneko Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    The Pork Clouds I linked in my last post says they ship to Canada. ;)
    Apart from that, try checking for an ethnic market in your area perhaps that carries Mexican foods.

-T.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,059 Member
    Options
    @lovayou, I am in Manitoba and I can get Old Dutch Bacon Puffs at a few stores, but prefer the Sunasia brand of chiccarones I get at Bulk Barn. Superstore has some in the ethnic section, but they all have MSG and some have wheat in them, so I don't buy those. I am also lucky to know a couple of people at work from the Phillipines who make homemade ones with just salt and they give them to me.