Macros

Options

Replies

• retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    I'm going to post that link in the interesting reading thread, so it doesnt get lost.
  • Itreadlightly
    Itreadlightly Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm going to post that link in the interesting reading thread, so it doesnt get lost.
    Thanks- wasn't sure where to put it!
  • sharondtd
    sharondtd Posts: 549 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Yes, I confess to being a macro watcher. My after dinner meals often are based around adjusting them to get that pie chart just right. But that said, on the caloric restriction many of us are on, that pie chart won't balance even if we eat 1 gram protein per pound of our GOAL weight, much less our current weight.
    The takeaway for those of us on a weight -loss regimen might be to up the protein wisely or craftily. For example, at 4 calories per gram times an imaginary goal weight of 130, we'd have barely over half our allotment of calories left for fat and carbohydrates. The pie chart would be too skewed.
    For me, on weight-lifting days, maybe I'll shoot for 1 gram per pound, but I will go back to the recommended percentages on non-resistance workout days so my brain will function. I only exercise so my body can maintain my brain.
    :p
  • retirehappy
    Options
    Here is some interesting info on protein sources to help hit the macros:

Calories per gram protein:
    Tuna - canned (water/drained) 4.6
    Cod - fresh 4.6
    Chicken Breast (meat only) 4.8
    Turkey - white meat 4.9
    Pork chops - trimmed 5.1
    Tilapia 5.1
    Sea Bass - fresh 5.2
    Shrimp 5.3
    Halibut 5.3
    Tuna - fresh 6.1
    Beef lean (trimmed) 7.7
    Salmon - fresh/farmed 10.3
    Lamb - trimmed 10.5
    Beef Jerky 11.7
    Bacon - cured 42.7
    Vegetarian friendly
    Eggs - whites only 4.4
    Whey Isolate - standard 5.2
    Greek yogurt - 0% 5.7
    Cottage Cheese - non fat 7.2
    Milk - skim 10.3
    Mozzarella - part-skim 10.6
    Eggs - whole 11.0
    Milk - 2% 16.7

Vegan friendly
    Plant-based protein powder (RawFusion) 5.5
    Seitan - generic 5.7
    Mushrooms - raw 7.3
    Spinach - raw 7.7
    Nutitional Yeast 8.6
    Tofu - firm 8.8
    Edamame - shelled fresh 11.1
    Lentils - dry 13.6
    Brussell Sprouts 14.3
    Beans - kidney 14.7
    Kale - raw 16.7
    Hemp Seeds - hulled 18.0
    Quinoa - dry 26.3
  • DreamOn145
    DreamOn145 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    ok, I must confess, macros are not something I have ever given a thought too. I normally just try to make healthy choices and stay within my calorie range. This month, as you know, I am simply trying to ingrain the habit of completing my journaling daily (as Retire says, the difference between talking about losing weight and actually doing it!) lol But now you have me curious.
  • retirehappy
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Protein is needed to keep our muscle. No fun to be skinny, but have no muscles to burn calories, help us function etc. It is the only one I really focus on. Recommendation for normal folks, not serious body builders is .8 grams of protein per kg (2.2lbs) of current weight. This should keep you from losing muscle instead of the fat. I currently need at least 72 grams per day.

As you lose you do need to tweak the amount.
  • DreamOn145
    Options
    One thing I am doing differently this time, and I will see how well it works in the long run, is not dropping my calories more than is necessary for a very slow weight loss. I have, too many times in the past, gotten eager to see that rapid weight drop and lowered my calories to a point where my body adjusts and I cannot raise them to a level I am comfortable living with. I do not ever want to live on less than 1500 calories and hopefully I am willing to do enough exercise to accomplish this. I am posting this in macros because of a discussion I had with a friend of mine last night. She was saying that if you want 1500 calories to be a realistic final goal, you should be more conscious of macros and especially of carb quality - as in GET RID OF THE WHITES (now how many times have we heard that one!). I had already accepted the fact that I do much better with reduced hunger during the day if I start the day with eggs and with a little coconut oil and kerrygold butter. Now I have joined the clean eating group and well and hope to continue my education!
  • retirehappy
    Options
    I think that is a good starting place DreamOn. You might even find that you can go beyond 1500 as a final goal. That would be a good thing :)
  • DreamOn145
    Options
    Oh yes it would! I am finding it helps to use some of the charts and advice on the Fitbit site also. I had tended to ignore that site in favor of this one, but it does have a lot of good information.