Meds and exercising in the morning

Options
allergictodiets
allergictodiets Posts: 233 Member
A question for those of you who exercise in the morning - when do you take your meds? Do you eat something before you exercise? Thx!

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    For maximum effectiveness, Synthroid & Cytomel must be taken on an empty stomach, and you shouldn't eat or drink anything but water for at least half an hour after taking them.
  • Frigs
    Frigs Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    I am switching up to exercising in the morning per my nutritionist suggestions. My RMR was 1350 which is 200 below normal for my height and weight. It's not like I didn't know it already. After reading Mary Shamon's book on thyroid diet I calculated it from there and was similar to scooby doo calculator except she did recommend subtracting 200 due to hypothyroid. Low and behold that is what my

When I exercise in the morning I take my thyroid right away with water and no food. It works out great as my exercise takes at least 30 minutes.

I only had 1 day where I did not feel good exercising on an empty stomach and I listened and stopped.

Good luck!!! Here is an interesting article on RMR.

http://www.acefitness.org/certifiednewsarticle/2882/resting-metabolic-rate-best-ways-to-measure-it-and/
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I take Synthroid at 0500 by itself, at 0600 I drink 16oz water and do calisthenics on weekdays and cardio on weekends. I eat breakfast between 0700 and 0800 typically.

I don't like to eat before I exercise generally, except for long runs where I'll add some quick fuel - sugar/carbs prior to.
  • indianarose2
    indianarose2 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I take my NDT at 5:00 am and go back to sleep, wake up around 6:00. If I am just going to jump on the treadmill for a mile or 2 I don't necessarily eat beforehand. If I am planning on doing heavy lifting I always eat something (maybe 1/2 of a protein shake and the other 1/2 when I'm done) but not a full meal until after my workout. I personally need some protein in the morning before undertaking anything strenuous otherwise I get weak. I will also get weak if I'm up more than an hour without eating something with protein - weird. I take my meds early because I don't want any chance of food interfering with absorption.
  • allergictodiets
    allergictodiets Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your suggestions. I think I could try a routine similar to indianarose2, it would fit my schedule.