Slim Fast?

Options
mebelfanti
mebelfanti Posts: 328 Member
Hi everyone,
I'm thinking about trying Slim Fast to jump start my weight loss and help adjust my body to a limited calorie diet but I'm worried that replacing two meals a day with shakes will leave me hungry and snacking. Could anyone who has tried it offer any tips or suggestions?

Replies

• PhysicsOnIce
    PhysicsOnIce Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Don't do it! You are 100% right, it will leave you hungry and snacky, which will end up throwing off your whole calorie count. Also, while the shakes themselves are low in calories (190-230) from what I have seen doing a quick search, their sugar content can be extremely high between 6g to more than 30g. Just take is slow and start introducing more natural foods into your diet and staying within your deficit and you'll see results don't worry about how long it takes.

http://www.caloriecount.com/cc/search.php?searchpro=slim+fast&manu=87&x=0&y=0
  • DorisSilver50
    DorisSilver50 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I agree with PhysicsOnIce, there is a lot of sugar in Slim Fast. If you follow the calorie count that MFP gives you for the weight you want to use and follow the suggested make up of food (I actually go much higher on Protein then it calls for but stay within the calorie counts) you will do well. I am a huge fan of Wonderslim chocolate protein shakes which have 100 calories (all the different choco. varieties, didn't like vanilla, strawberry was ok) Aspartame free version. Available on Diet Direct website. I also drink the EAS Advantage Shakes which have no sugar, only 110 calories and a decent amount of protein (WalMart & Target sell them as do many other stores)! I have been on NutriSystem since Feb 1 but follow the following diet for 1200 calories whether I am eating their food or not:

Breakfast: 2 PowerFuels, 1 SmartCarb
    Late Morning Snack: 1 PowerFuel
    Lunch: 1 PowerFuel, 1 SmartCarb, 2 servings Vegetables
    Afternoon Snack: 1 PowerFuel, 1 SmartCarb
    Dinner: 2 PowerFuel, 1 SmartCarb, 2 servings Vegetables
    Dessert: 1 SmartCarb

PowerFuel = 80-120 calories with at least 5 grams of Protein
    SmartCarb = 80-120 calories with at least 1 gram of fiber
    Vegetable = average serving 25 calories
  • ladynasdaq
    ladynasdaq Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I disagree. I buy the High Protein Slimfast at Sam's which has 20 Grams Protein and 2 Grams sugar,4 Grams Carb. I am on a 1500 calorie diet and I use the shake in the morning with a piece of fruit,later a lunch,later a Slimfast meal bar,dinner,snacks and the whole day equates to 1500 calories and I feel good. I also work 12 hr night shifts as a Nurse in a Hospital. I just started on Wed. I have lost 2 lbs. My weight was 248 lbs and now down to 246. Christmas Eve morning I started at 282 lbs. Christmas Eve morning with Weight Watchers and lost 38 lbs. and have stalled out for a good month so I tried this idea and it works. Slimfast High Protein shakes really curb my appetite a lot but the regular ones do have too many sugar Grams, I agree.
  • DorisSilver50
    DorisSilver50 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    ladynasdaq wrote: »
    I disagree. I buy the High Protein Slimfast at Sam's which has 20 Grams Protein and 2 Grams sugar,4 Grams Carb. I am on a 1500 calorie diet and I use the shake in the morning with a piece of fruit,later a lunch,later a Slimfast meal bar,dinner,snacks and the whole day equates to 1500 calories and I feel good. I also work 12 hr night shifts as a Nurse in a Hospital. I just started on Wed. I have lost 2 lbs. My weight was 248 lbs and now down to 246. Christmas Eve morning I started at 282 lbs. Christmas Eve morning with Weight Watchers and lost 38 lbs. and have stalled out for a good month so I tried this idea and it works. Slimfast High Protein shakes really curb my appetite a lot but the regular ones do have too many sugar Grams, I agree.

Wasn't aware of the High Protein version, haven't used Slim Fast in years so guess I wasn't up on the latest, thanks for the info!