What speed on a treadmill?

Options
majigurl
majigurl Posts: 660 Member
I did d1w1 on Friday. Today I'll be doing d2w1.
My question is what speed, if you are on a treadmill, are most of you guys doing?

I was doing 3.4 to 3.7 for walking and 6.2 to 6.4 for running.

I almost died and I was in so much pain Friday night and most of Saturday.

I'm VERY out of shape lol

Replies

• daaaaaanielle
    daaaaaanielle Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    When you're just starting, don't worry about speed. Go with whatever speed feels okay for you. As I'm getting into longer runs, I've had to reduce the speed I'm running at in order to get through them - I'm just starting Week 4. And that's fine!

So right now, I walk at 3.9mph and "run" (well, jog really) at about 5mph. not the fastest by any means and I can run for shorter lengths of time at a higher speed, but I'm concentrating on being able to run long enough before I bother upping the speed.
  • superraachel
    superraachel Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    That's pretty fast. I completed the program, and I still only run at a 5.2. Sometimes I'll bump up to a minute or two of 6.0 for an interval, but I like to be able to finish my run and not have to add in recovery walks because I pushed too hard. Don't set yourself up for injury by overdoing. I've read you should run at a pace you could still have a conversation at.
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    That's pretty fast. I completed the program, and I still only run at a 5.2. Sometimes I'll bump up to a minute or two of 6.0 for an interval, but I like to be able to finish my run and not have to add in recovery walks because I pushed too hard. Don't set yourself up for injury by overdoing. I've read you should run at a pace you could still have a conversation at.

This ^^^^^^ if you can't hold a conversation on the run interval you are going too fast. The next 8 or 9 weeks is about time on feet not speed. Providing you are running the speed is almost irrelevant. Good luck on your journey

• majigurl
    majigurl Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I can't hold a conversation walking at 3.4 lol

thanks everyone.. this actually helped A LOT! as I thought I wasn't even going fast ENOUGH...
  • samra338
    samra338 Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    Absolutely agree! Going slow has helped me a lot. I struggled with the first week, but after reading the tips here, I slowed down completely. The second week, I concentrated on my running form and breathing consciously and it took my mind off the speed. Since then, every week has been a breeze! I completed W5D1 today.
  • Autumnfilly2005
    Autumnfilly2005 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I already graduated c25k, but according to my app, I walk at about 2.5-3.0 and run at 3.0-3.5. Going slow and finishing is better than going fast and burning out early. I'm now working on a 10k program, and still having to remind myself to run slow in order to finish my runs.
  • Megeffer
    Megeffer Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I do my walk at 3.2 and my beginning of the week runs at 5.0 (to make sure I get through) then bump it up later in the week to 5.4-5.5 just to make sure there is definitely a challange. :)

Week 4 day 2 today!
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    When you're just starting, don't worry about speed. Go with whatever speed feels okay for you. As I'm getting into longer runs, I've had to reduce the speed I'm running at in order to get through them - I'm just starting Week 4. And that's fine!

So right now, I walk at 3.9mph and "run" (well, jog really) at about 5mph. not the fastest by any means and I can run for shorter lengths of time at a higher speed, but I'm concentrating on being able to run long enough before I bother upping the speed.

I absolutely agree with all of this. I completed C25K. Make your mantra "As long as my foot leaves the treadmill and hovers in air for a second, it's 'running'." Because it is. As long as your run intervals involve your feet going up and down, even if it's "really slow", over time your muscles and cardiovascular system will build up and you WILL get faster naturally. It just kinda happens without a ton of focus on it.

My run yesterday was 35 minutes (I do run-walk so each interval was between 5-10 minutes at a run) but I am able to do a 5K now and am beginning training now for a 10K (definite) and a quarter marathon (possibly...the plan is to train for the 1/4 marathon and I'll actually register for that if it feels like I'm ready in August..that race is in September...if I can't be ready this year, I'll just be "overtrained" for the 10K...this will be my first 10K ever...and I ran in high school :)
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I already graduated c25k, but according to my app, I walk at about 2.5-3.0 and run at 3.0-3.5. Going slow and finishing is better than going fast and burning out early. I'm now working on a 10k program, and still having to remind myself to run slow in order to finish my runs.

Absolutely agree with all of this. Focus on DURATION of the run...not how "fast" it happens. All that happens over time..
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    am beginning training now for a 10K (definite) and a quarter marathon (possibly...

A marathon is 42.2km, a half marathon is 21.1km.

So if you're ready for one 10K you'll be ready for the other
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    majigurl wrote: »
    I was doing 3.4 to 3.7 for walking and 6.2 to 6.4 for running.

I think the issue with this is the dreadmill gives the illusion of control, whereas out in the real one can just run as it's comfortable.

I'm assuming that those settings are kph, in which case you can see that running speed as a target to get to eventually. Until then just concentrate on running for the whole period, rather than racking up the pace.

• fit4life_73
    fit4life_73 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I typically run at 5.0. But today I did w5d3 and had to slow it down a smidge few times during the run. I was really ok with slowing things down. It took me 25 minutes instead of 24 to complete 2 miles. I'll take that :#
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options

Thank you for posting this! after reading some speeds I actually checked my treadmill to see if it was in kph or mph because I'm walking 2.5-3 mph & my runs are 3.5, sometimes 4 if i'm feeling frisky. I was starting to think I'll never get this if I can't run as fast as other people are walking!! I'm glad I'm not alone. I would rather be slow & finish than try to over do it and hurt myself like I did last time. :)