Why am I nervous?

The_Weaze
The_Weaze Posts: 512 Member
So I've been part of this group for a month now and have read the stickies/info repeatedly. I'm nervous to start though.

No idea why...I'm not new to weight training although it's been a while. Don't really need anything except maybe a kick in the butt to start?!? ;)

Replies

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    *offers boot of motivation*

Okay, now go lift those weights!

:wink:
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Best way to get rid of the nerves is to get to it!
  • indianarose2
    indianarose2 Posts: 469 Member
    Yeah!!! Another of the 5,000+ members of this forum emerges out of the ether! Come on in! The water's fine! Start with a manageable weight to build up your "I can do thisness" (just made that up) and you will be on your way! I started off pretty light to begin with (& compared to everyone else here am still pretty light) to get the form right and confidence up and am now feeling challenged but am up to it! So jump right in and join the fun!
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Just start - don't over think it, don't talk yourself out of it...just start. you'll do great - its a fab programme.

Like Nike, just do it!!
  • ohiotubagal
    ohiotubagal Posts: 190 Member
    You can do it! Start with lighter than you think and if it feels easy, go up until it's a bit challenging. You may surprise yourself! Also try downloading the app for your phone. I love using it...tells me what to do next since I can't remember. Good luck!
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    TravelsWithHuckleberry Posts: 955 Member
    Sometimes when I'm nervous about starting something, I tell myself I can quit at any time. Tell yourself you'll at least try out squats, and if you're not feeling it, you can go home. Or Bench Press, or whatever exercise you want. More often than not, once I'm there and started, it all falls into place and I do the full workout. Good luck!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    GSlate wrote: »
    Don't really need anything except maybe a kick in the butt to start?!? ;)

i'm not good at kicking people ;-) but definitely do it - and i like @crabada's trick of reminding myself one foray into [whatever] is not a life sentence.

also, my secret trick for when i've got the scareds: deliberately start out with something that will give you a little rush of success and make you hungry for the next small success. even if another part of you knows you're just humouring yourself, it still counts. walking into a free weights zone as a woman is a big deal, so if you do it you're already on 'win'.

• The_Weaze
    The_Weaze Posts: 512 Member
    Thanks everyone! I went last night...lighter than I thought I'd be able to lift but still felt great!
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    TravelsWithHuckleberry Posts: 955 Member
    GREAT! Congratulations!
  • indianarose2
    indianarose2 Posts: 469 Member
    Congratulations!!! A great start!!
  • LaarainNYC
    LaarainNYC Posts: 90 Member
    Wonderful!
  • CHSegl
    CHSegl Posts: 89 Member
    We do it for those "rawr!" moments. You will have them!!
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    I feel like I could have been the one to have posted this. Because I'm in the same boat. Don't know what's with the nerves.
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    I read this as "Why am I ravenous?" and clicked, hoping for advice on controlling my appetite!

But I was nervous, too. I bought a book (Starting Strength), read it cover to cover, then went and stood in the squat rack and... nothing. I was blank. So I paid a trainer at my gym for three sessions and told her exactly what I wanted to learn. Well worth the $200 or so that I paid. And then I went back and read the book and of course it all made sense because it meant something. If you're having a hard time getting over the threshold, I totally recommend working with a trainer, even just one time. The nerves go away after you do it just once. Promise.