If you saw a ten year old girl with an iPhone....

Options

Replies

• alleycat88
    alleycat88 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Regardless my opinon on a ten year old having a phone, IF I had given my hypothetical child an iphone at 10 and someone chewed my kid out for, they'd wish they had never said anything.
  • alleycat88
    alleycat88 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Kids are growing up so quick. At 10 years old I was too busy rolling around in the grass. I didn't even notice technology, or even boys. :laugh:

I played with barbies until I was 13.

yeahhh!
  • mirandamayhem
    Options
    I think the only thing I really really really loathe seeing young children have is age inappropriate clothing. Suri was wearing bloomin heels at 24 months! So ridiculous. That and suggestive underwear. If you let your kids where that get up then yup I'm going to judge you. Can't help it. It's hard wired in. But you're welcome to judge me for my children's dodgy hair cuts and mud stained clothing.
  • bikebanditandy
    bikebanditandy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    How is this related to fitness? Since you brought it up, I work with children as young as 8 who have a caring role of some sought for either a parent or sibling... they are getting younger and younger these days... An iPhone is just the tip on the iceberg...
  • Lissakaye81
    Lissakaye81 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I bet lots of parents whose children have been kidnapped wish their child had had a phone on them. Many kids have dialed 911 at really young ages to save other people even from things like fires. Why would your child be able to call anyone when they needed be a bad thing?
  • mirandamayhem
    Options
    How is this related to fitness? Since you brought it up, I work with children as young as 8 who have a caring role of some sought for either a parent or sibling... they are getting younger and younger these days... An iPhone is just the tip on the iceberg...

It's in the chit chat section, doesn't have to be to do with fitness!
  • FR89
    FR89 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    i think its a bit much for a 10 year old to have an iphone but i would keep comments to myself. no need to say anything to the kid, thats stupid.

THIS! ..
  • jj3120
    jj3120 Posts: 358
    Options
    My daughter had her first phone at 9, she spent her birthday money on it, it was a very basic phone she used it to play games and text her grandparents!
    As she's got older her phones have got better but most importantly it's piece of mind for me, we can't afford an iphone and it's just payg. I didn't have a phone at that age because they weren't around then!!!
  • MisterTEZ
    MisterTEZ Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't lose sleep over it, none of my business!
  • nadiB
    nadiB Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I probably wouldn't even notice..... I see 2 year olds playing with ipads and iphones, why should a 10 year old not have one of their own?
  • Dovekat
    Dovekat Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I see kids with phones all the time. If things are the same as when I was at school then it's just another badge of office to add in with brand names of clothes, shoes and other accessories lol. Some children are more responsible then others it's up to their parents to decide this not me I don't know them. In this day an age I think it's actually safer for children to have a phone then to not.
  • Clarevmb
    Clarevmb Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I think it's a decision between you and your daughter. Certainly your daughter should not be told off by a stranger for having one.

My eldest son had one of our cast-off phones (pre iphone/android) when he was around 10yrs old. He had just started to walk/cycle to a friend's houses on his own, or go to the park with friends, realistically only about 1/4 mile away. So to some extent it was for our peace of mind, also when he forgot to return for lunch etc we could just phone him.

However now in high school the pressure is on to have an iphone/android more so for the games than texting/calling. This has resulted in him not wanting to take his old phone. DS, ipods etc are banned from school so children can't play games, however we know that some of his friends sit during breaks doing this.

Again a parenting choice but we are considering getting him an iphone/android for his birthday or Christmas but really don't want him going around with his nose buried in a game.
  • stagknight
    stagknight Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    My view until recently was that cellphones were for adults, over 18s only. But the streets are a dangerous place these days and it was hard to find a non vandalised phone box when there was one on each corner, now they are a rare site anywhere it is harder.
    I don't however think that a child should have an internet phone or a camera phone, at most a basic phone to ring home, and preferably locked to a home or parent's number and also capable of emergency services of course. Too many risks with internet/camera phones.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    I got my first phone (old Nokia brick) when I was 11. I didnt have to use it until I turned about 14. Personally I think Iphones, smart phones ect are just more than a phone. Kids would only be interested in playing games on it. I wouldnt give the kid an iphone though, maybe a tablet or a cheap android phone. If its for contacting eachother, for sure get her a phone but not a iphone.. Thats a bit too expensive for a 10 year old.
  • Laura_Suzie
    Laura_Suzie Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't give a ten year old an Iphone, but I really don't give a crap what people buy their children. That is their decision as a parent. To hell with anyone who tries to tell you how to raise your child...
  • JuneBPrice
    JuneBPrice Posts: 294
    Options
    My daughter had her first phone at 9, she spent her birthday money on it, it was a very basic phone she used it to play games and text her grandparents!
    As she's got older her phones have got better but most importantly it's piece of mind for me, we can't afford an iphone and it's just payg. I didn't have a phone at that age because they weren't around then!!!
    How much money do you give your kid in birthday money? :huh:
  • mandimuscles
    mandimuscles Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Never! Of course, I'd be a little jealous as I want an iphone myself! Lol. But I have a 10 year old son and he has a pre-paid trac phone. I struggled with the idea behind it, but now he's getting older and is at an age where he needs a little freedom. My job as a parent is to teach my child how to survive in life on his own. He can make his own phone calls about if he wants to stay at a family members house, or if he wants to call to see if he can go work for my grandparents or his uncle, he can answer his own phone when people call us and ask him to stay over the night. Often times he says no, he'd rather be home, but all his choice, his decision, I had to teach him it's ok to tell people no himself. We no longer have a house phone, we have a huge family so him being an only child and a good kid, people love to take him as often as they can. And I want to be able to talk to him while he's out somewhere without wasting their minutes. I think it works out great! And honestly, I don't care if others disagree, my kid, my rules! ;)
  • mandimuscles
    mandimuscles Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Oh and, he bought it himself too! And his minutes!
  • diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    My daughter is ten and last summer I bought her a basic phone because she was going to start walking home from school on her own and we thought she would feel more secure if she could call us and visa versa If I had had an old iphone I would have given her that instead!
    However she tells me that lots of her friends have new ipads which I have seen and that seems acceptable, my brother's son plays on his ipad 2 and he is only 2, but he knows what to do! This is the age of technology, as a parent it is your choice how much exposure your child gets! Personally my daughter would mislay an iphone so she can stick with her £15 pre pay til she's a bit less scatter brained!
  • EastCoast_Girl
    Options
    I wouldnt say anything, none of my business!