If you saw a ten year old girl with an iPhone....

Options

Replies

• TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    My 10 year old has a smart phone and I am happy that she does!! She still rides her bike, plays outside, has an imagination, reads books, helps around the house, does good in school, is a kid and is more mature than some adults I know! Why does she have a phone....anybody watch the news lately!! I like for us to be able to reach each other at anytime because she is also very sociable and spends time with her friends, she uses it to talk to her father and his family (who are not close enough to visit), when she is participating in one of the many activities she does to let us know of schedule changes! She has access to the internet but it is limited. We have a family plan that adds only $10 to our bill for the kids phones...they have to earn thier phones. I really don't see what the problem with it is....to each thier own! Our reason is safety mostly. :)
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I think 10 is too young for an iPhone and I would judge in my head (stupid helicopter parents... would be my thought) but I would never say anything to the kid.

Helicopter parent! So if you get your kid a phone - you're too over-protective?

Yes! That and the poor child doesn't learn how to deal with things on their own. A lot of people say it is for safety and security. I feel sorry for the poor kids with Mommy calling up to check up on them. The kids get a false sense of security with a phone plus they can always call Mommy to save them. 10 is the age where kids start to go to their friends places by themself, go to the further away park with friends, etc. They are learning how to do things on their own while they build confidence in themselves and become more aware of their surroundings. A cellphone, a line linked to their parents while doing the most simple thing of walking somewhere, interrupts this, They are not really alone when they should be and independence is stunted.
  • cpeterson70
    cpeterson70 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I would not have said anything. I'd just think she is spoiled.

My daughter is 9 and I don't plan on getting her one until she is at least in middle school...possibly high school. It would depend on a lot of things. Currently, she has my flaky iPod Touch second generation and she is thrilled. She also has a DS...good enough for games as well.

She does have some classmates who already have phones. I've already told her she won't.
  • splashblob
    splashblob Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I am not going to say anything against her. Smartphone nowaday can be considered as a fashion accessory but it could be useful when your child needs some help from something mundane to life and death situation. Regardless of the child's age, I think it depends on how each person utilize their phone to its maximum usage.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    hmmm so people still use non smart phones...next you are going to tell me they have land lines too! :D
  • Laces_0ut
    Options

The only person I know who has a smart phone is my this super rich girl I know from school, she got one as a graduation gift.

im not talking about high school kids. im talking about adults who have jobs.

like i said before i have no idea what kids/teens are using or buying.
  • JuneBPrice
    JuneBPrice Posts: 294
    Options

The only person I know who has a smart phone is my this super rich girl I know from school, she got one as a graduation gift.

So am I. They don't have smart phones.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    The kids get a false sense of security with a phone plus they can always call Mommy to save them.

So what you're saying is that if the kid is kidnapped and the person doesn't know they have a cell phone that they shouldn't "call mommy" to come save them? Or if their friends decide to go off and do something else and they don't want to then they shouldn't "call mommy" to save them, that they should just go with the pack regardless of how they feel or if it's wrong?
  • JustJennie1
    Options
    hmmm so people still use non smart phones...next you are going to tell me they have land lines too! :D

We have two land lines in our house. One is the home phone the other is the business phone. Why? Because cell signal can be spotty where I live and I can't always rely on my cell phone.
  • galededras
    galededras Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Also...everyone that is so opposed to exposing your children to technology...good luck sending them out there in the job market without being familiar with current technology. =)
  • tinytoyjess
    tinytoyjess Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I am too busy keeping track of my own kids to notice or care what a 10 year old stranger is doing. I mean, if she were waving around a machine gun I might notice, but an iPhone ... who cares? That sort of thing doesn't grab my attention.
  • Laces_0ut
    Options

thats highly unusual where i have lived. like i said everyone has a smart phone.

and of course you need a land line if your cell phone coverage is bad where you live...do you live in a very rural area? that may explain...
  • noeasyweigh
    noeasyweigh Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Wow, everyone certainly has an opinion. Which in this case you asked for it and thats the difference. Its when people just openly and freely judge that is CRAZY! My 8 year old got a new coach crossbody this summer and there was recently a "opinion" on facebook by one of my friends that in no way said my name but SLUNG her feelings about 8 year olds having coach purses. What I find IRONIC is that I know that my children are very lucky and privlidged. I work hard to provide that for them. As a parent though I always tell them not to JUDGE another peson by what they do or don't have... and here are people judging my kids on what they do have. WTH is that? JEALOUS much? I just want to scream stick it in your ear....but I am waaaay more mature than that... LOL! Ps my 8 and ten year olds have cell phones, but not iphones. They have long practice schedules for sports and dance and I just feel better with them having a phone in their bags to call me if they need to. Its a good thing we don;t get our self worth from people with such low esteem that they go around talking other people down to feel better about their own life.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options

I know tons of adults that don't have smart phones. I don't have a smart phone. I'm an adult with a full time job that is in another town. And a lot of the adults that HAVE smart phones (or even a cell phone for that matter) hate their phones and would NOT have a cell at all if they could avoid it. The only reason they have one is because they're farmers and are often in the middle of nowhere and need to be able to contact somebody if they break down in the middle of the field.
  • AshRyd
    AshRyd Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I say forget 'em. If you as a parent feel your child is mature enough for a phone then so be it.

I would suggest certain limits or restrictions though as friendly advice.

Restricted calling times

Restricted internet maybe

Really depends how she handles the responsibility really.

I do not believe in ever overstepping my boundaries on another person's children unless they are out of control or it is an emergency situation.

This is not one of those times so I find it uncalled for.

agreed!
  • JustJennie1
    Options
    Also...everyone that is so opposed to exposing your children to technology...good luck sending them out there in the job market without being familiar with current technology. =)

I'm not opposed to exposing children to technology I just feel that an iPhone for a ten year old is ridiculous. Basic phone with no texting, internet etc. is fine but they don't "need" an iPhone. If they truly think they NEED an iPhone then they can feel free to do odd jobs around the neighborhood and earn some cash, buy their own phone and pay for the monthly service.
  • JuneBPrice
    JuneBPrice Posts: 294
    Options

thats highly unusual where i have lived. like i said everyone has a smart phone.

and of course you need a land line if your cell phone coverage is bad where you live...do you live in a very rural area? that may explain...
    I don't have a land line, we use cell phones. I used to live in rural areas (I've moved a few times) but not anymore. I live in a city now.
  • Laces_0ut
    Options

I know tons of adults that don't have smart phones. I don't have a smart phone. I'm an adult with a full time job that is in another town. And a lot of the adults that HAVE smart phones (or even a cell phone for that matter) hate their phones and would NOT have a cell at all if they could avoid it. The only reason they have one is because they're farmers and are often in the middle of nowhere and need to be able to contact somebody if they break down in the middle of the field.

i guess ive made some assumptions that are not true.. i guess it comes from the fact the people im talking about all work in offices and need those phones as part of their job and it just bleeds over into their life. but if you have a job, like the farmer you mentioned, that doesnt need the smart phone capabilities there would be reason for them to not have one at all.
  • IsleEsme
    IsleEsme Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    All 3 of my kids (14, 12, 11) have cell phones (not iphones). They get their phones going into 6th grade as that is when they start staying after school for activities and we aren't always with them. They don't have Iphones simply due to cost but they all have their own laptops and have for years. If you teach your kids responsible computer usage I see nothing wrong with it. Also making them aware of of what is out there is a must! (they can innocently come across some sick stuff while online). If you can afford to give your child an iphone and don't mind paying for it more power to you. Whoever said something to her is an *kitten*. Just about now is when you need to remind your daughter that sadly not everyone is nice.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    \\

I don't have a smart phone and I also have a land line. So what's up with your sarcasm? Land lines are very useful for "reverse 911" calls and for screening phone calls, and most of the time my cell phone is off or lost inside my purse, anyway.

My husband has an Android, so good for him, but I am not interested in getting one.

As of for the OP post,. shame on those people for being so rude to the child.