If you saw a ten year old girl with an iPhone....

Replies

• Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    At ten years old, I would think that my child shouldn't be anywhere they would actually need a phone. I wouldn't berate the child or say anything rude. I think it says more about THAT person than it does about your child.

What if the child is kidnapped? The GPS tracking alone could save his/her life.
  • Superbritt2drescu
    Superbritt2drescu Posts: 273 Member
    I think its the parents choice. My kids have hand me down ipods/iphones. They are not connected to any service yet. They are 5&7 and will probably get phones soon as our lifestyle kinda requires it. I think everyone situation is different and people should respect that.
  • rhonniema
    rhonniema Posts: 522
    I think that is too young to have a phone, but I wouldn't say anything about it. I sure as heck wouldn't berate the child for it. Simply uncalled for.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    That is a decision made by the family for that child and is no one else's business.

If someone had berated my cjhild for the same thing, I would have told them to mind their own business.
  • LisaBeateith2012
    LisaBeateith2012 Posts: 346 Member
    Yes you are right. People shouldn't interfere with a ten year old they don't know. Its not that persons business. My 10 year old son has an iPhone but only because I was given an upgrade and had a spare phone. Would that stranger prefer 10 year olds to have no phone and be un-contactable? or a cheapo phone and be excluded from their friends who all have one. People need to worry about their own lives and not interfere in others. The person will just be jealous cause they don't have as good a phone lol. PEOPLE NEED TO GET A GRIP! This is the 21st century. Kids love playing games on their phones, they love listening to music, going on you tube, there are tons of parental controls including GPS on an iPhone, and lets face it they are not that dear, you can pick up a 3GS for under £100
  • thebrianmo
    thebrianmo Posts: 108
    I think that is too young to have a phone, but I wouldn't say anything about it. I sure as heck wouldn't berate the child for it. Simply uncalled for.

I agree. I would never allow my 10 year old to have an iPhone or any other type of cell phone for that matter BUT that's me. Most of the kids I see that age who have cell phones can't act appropriately in using them, not to mention they are so naive and give their number out to anyone and that's just asking for trouble from adults with awful ideas about kids. My wife and I decided that if and when we have a child old enough to consider a cell phone we will control what numbers they can call and who can call them.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    I think anyone with an iPhone is stupid, but I wouldn't yell at a kid for that.

What? I'm confused as to why you would judge someone just because they have an iPhone? Sounds more like jealousy to me.

Nah I don't think it's jealousy.. Considering everyone and their mother has an Iphone these days, all you are doing is joining the Iphone sheep when you buy one.. which is why when I bought my first smartphone, I bought I an Android.

I've already answered this, but here is another thought from me... I never had a cell phone until I was in high school. Thats because my father made cell phones for a living(anyone remember the Motorola Razor phone circa 2006?) and hated the damn things. Even then I had a pre-paid plan and didn't go on a paid plan till I went to college.. and then I just got my own phone account this year because I wanted a smart phone and my mom refused to pay extra for one on our family plan.
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Now that I have read through a few of these replies, I personally would not get my 10 year old an iPhone. Maybe when they got to high school, but not at ten.

My cousin is eight years old and has an iPhone. I haven't seen him or my uncle in five years and when they came to visit, all he did was sit and play games on his phone.

My nephew is 10 years old, he doesn't have an iPhone but he has a droid or something. His parents are constantly getting on him about how all he does is play on the phone and doesn't go outside anymore.

My niece is eight years old, to my knowledge, she doesn't have a phone, but her parents got her a Dell lap top for Christmas last year, and now all she does is play on it.

Even my son, who is three years old, is constantly asking my husband for the iPad to play games.

I think as time progresses, we get more and more technology and cool gadgets, but I think kids still need to be kids. They need to play with friends and be outside. Not addicted to cell phones and lap tops so early on.
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    For kids, I would get one of those phones with 4-5 #s they can call. No internet. It is for when they are out without me, and for emergencies, asking for rides home and arranging to see friends only. Limited minutes. Phone would be taken away after 8pm.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Nah I don't think it's jealousy.. Considering everyone and their mother has an Iphone these days, all you are doing is joining the Iphone sheep when you buy one.. which is why when I bought my first smartphone, I bought I an Android.

Baaaaaaaa!

I can't agree with you on that one. My first introduction to "I" anything was my iPod. Then my husband got me an iPad which I absolutely love. I was due for an upgrade and because I loved my iPad so much I went with the iPhone because it's a smaller version of the iPad and because I need an iPhone for my business.

I'm not a sheep and I don't follow the crowd. I got my iPhone because it's what I wanted. I also want to get a Mac because I'm tired of the windows platform and how ****ty the system and the computers are. I know a lot of people who have Mac's and absolutely love them.

Does that make me a sheep too?
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njos57IJf-0

Bill Gates vs Steve Jobs lol
  • JuneBPrice
    JuneBPrice Posts: 294
    I think anyone with an iPhone is stupid, but I wouldn't yell at a kid for that.

What? I'm confused as to why you would judge someone just because they have an iPhone? Sounds more like jealousy to me.
    I just think it's stupid to pay so much for a phone. How many people actually NEED a smartphone, really?
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    a 10 year old has no use for a cell phone.
  • glamouritz64
    glamouritz64 Posts: 85 Member
    Personally, I think the age of 10 is a bit young for a phone, much less an iPhone. But, I would never have made a comment like that to the child. If I was to say anything at all (and only if I was acquainted with the child and his/her parents), I would have said something to the effect of: "Well, you have wonderful, generous parents who clearly love you, and think that you are mature and responsible enough to have such a nice phone. Make sure you honor that by taking care of it!" But, like I said...ONLY if I knew the child and his/her parents.
  • crrc78
    crrc78 Posts: 207 Member
    I say forget 'em. If you as a parent feel your child is mature enough for a phone then so be it.

I would suggest certain limits or restrictions though as friendly advice.

Restricted calling times

Restricted internet maybe

Really depends how she handles the responsibility really.

I do not believe in ever overstepping my boundaries on another person's children unless they are out of control or it is an emergency situation.

This is not one of those times so I find it uncalled for.

THIS. Also, how do they know that the child doesn't NEED the phone and data access for something in their life? For example, your father is in Iraq and you never know when he'll have time to call or facetime, or that her parents are divorced and they need to coordinate pick-ups, etc. There are so many reasons why a 10 year old might need a phone. My 4 year old uses our iphone, ipad and imacs seamlessly and can navigate the passcode, find her apps, and use them to LEARN.
  • natty_34
    natty_34 Posts: 20
    I think it's a bit ridiculous that a 10 year old even has a phone.. let alone an Iphone. Would I say anything to them about it though or berate them in front of others? No.

This.
  • No I wouldn´t. It wounld be any of my buisness.
    My 10 yr old has a mobile phone, she only uses it when she goes out and I want to be able to contact her when I want her to come home or check on her. She has no games for it or anything like that. So I wouldn´t judge other parents. I see it like this, you never know what the reason behind it is = don´t judge unless you know the intire story
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    It's not my child therefore not my business.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    I don't mind kid having phones. A cell phone these days is way more than just phone. It has music, games, a camera, and apps that stand in for everyday tools. I have cousins younger than 10 who have a cell phone. Granted they don't use them for anything extremely important, but they do text and make calls. I wouldn't berate a kid for having a cell phone. Honestly, I don't think they need anything as fancy as an iPhone. However, who knows why that child has an iPhone? Could be a hand me down, could've been a gift. Whatever the reason, the parent allows it and if they want their child to have it, that's their choice.
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    I say forget 'em. If you as a parent feel your child is mature enough for a phone then so be it.

I would suggest certain limits or restrictions though as friendly advice.

Restricted calling times

Restricted internet maybe

Really depends how she handles the responsibility really.

I do not believe in ever overstepping my boundaries on another person's children unless they are out of control or it is an emergency situation.

This is not one of those times so I find it uncalled for.

**Like**