If you saw a ten year old girl with an iPhone....

Options

Replies

• Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    All this "adults shouldn't talk to strange kids" stuff is just weird to me. When I was a child it was the case that any adult could tell you off. If I were, say, dropping litter, I'd expect an adult to scold me regardless of whether they knew me or not.

Now it seems that even if you see a child blatantly behaving badly, you as an adult have no right to speak to them about it. Te comeback you get from the parents is "don't speak to my kid like that" with the parent sticking up for their child despite the misdemeanour.

Man, I feel old.

This. Even worse that the parents won't discipline them. Too busy being their friend to worry about being a parent.

If you see some strange guy at a park talking to your young daughter you see no problem with that? I remember the days when I was a kid and I could ride in the back seat without a seat belt much less a car seat. Though would you let your little kid ride in the back seat today without a seat belt? Times have changed!

No, I don't think I would see any problem with someone talking to my child (though i don't have any so feel free to flame me for being ignorant). Roads have got more dangerous as numbers of cars have increased but there are no more paedophiles out there than there used to be, times haven't changed in that sense.
  • stumpycow
    stumpycow Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    IMO, there is no reason for a 10 yr old to have a phone, Heck, my 14 yo stepson has an Iphone which I'm forced to allow into my house but he's not allowed on our network. (I have banned his laptop in our house) Why in the world does a child need an Iphone???? If he wants to go online, he has to use the family computer in the living room (GASP! no privacy!) I refuse to be responsible for what he might encounter on the internet, therefore he's monitored. Same rules apply to the XBox as well. That being said, I would never berate a child for having a phone, their parent made a decision based on their values. Who am I to criticize?
  • crystal_loga
    crystal_loga Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    My husband and I both have Iphones, we downloaded educational games, books and such on our phones to occupy our son when on long trips, Dr visits, grocery shopping etc. He loved the games and we considered buying him an ipod touch so that he can play with his own and not use ours anymore. Needless to say they were VERY expensive. My husband suggested we just add another iphone to our plan for him. He was 5 at the time and I did not want him having a phone. I was 17 before I purchased my own phone with my own money. A child at 5 having a phone was obsurd to me and I actually was embarrassed to consider it. After some discussions with our phone company and discussing the smart limits that can be placed on the phone we decided to go ahead with it. I am able to limit who he can call, what times he can call, and the internet is turned off on his phone. We only allow him to call us and his grandparents. We download the games we see fit and we charge his phone in our bedroom each night as to be sure he is resting and not playing his phone all night. I monitor his phone often and check his photos. He's actually becoming quite the photographer and videographer! When he sleeps over somewhere or goes to a sitter for the day, I feel re-assured that he can call me if hes scared and that I can call him to check on him at any time.

So yes, I'm sure that people will judge him or more me for allowing him to have a phone. But I don't care. It's my child and I choose whats best for him. He does not have free reign with his phone, and when he does not follow rules, he looses his phone privileges. I'd rather him play games that are educational and that I can monitor rather than letting him on the internet or letting him sit in front of a game system all day on tv!

Everyone has opinions, and I believe that even though they are entitled to their opinions, there is NO reason to belittle a child! EVER!
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Some people make all sorts of assumptions about i-Phone owners. My 16 year-old was insulted by a customer when she worked as a cashier at a grocery store last year. I guess, to some people, cashiers making minimum wage don't deserve nice things.
  • kristalfrissy
    kristalfrissy Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    My daughter is 7 and has a phone. It isn't an iphone but it is a $400 phone. She hardly ever uses it and when she does that is to play games. The main reason she has it is so when she visits neighbors like she does constantly--I can call and check on her and let her know when it is time to come home, Yes I have the neighbors #s as well--but I prefer to call her directly.my almost 10 year old son does NOT have a phone. He isn't interested and I think he would lose it.
  • angiemartin78
    angiemartin78 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I think anyone with an iPhone is stupid, but I wouldn't yell at a kid for that.

What? I'm confused as to why you would judge someone just because they have an iPhone? Sounds more like jealousy to me.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I don't see anything wrong with a 10 year old having an iPhone, nor do I see why anybody would worry about what somebody elses kid is doing with one. Some people just need to go f--- themselves.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    i think its a bit much for a 10 year old to have an iphone but i would keep comments to myself. no need to say anything to the kid, thats stupid.
    This exactly...

Personally, I think that's really young for something so expensive, but if I was a ten year old kid, would I want one? HELL YES, I would!
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I think anyone with an iPhone is stupid, but I wouldn't yell at a kid for that.

What? I'm confused as to why you would judge someone just because they have an iPhone? Sounds more like jealousy to me.

Or an Android loyalist! #TeamAndroid!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I think it is absolutely ridiculous for a child o have an iPhone. If you as a parent want them to have one so you can get in touch with them while they are at a friends house either 1) Call them on their friends LAND LINE like they used to do in the "olden days" when there was no such thing as a cell phone or 2) Get them some cheap-o phone that can only make and receive calls. If they want to play games get them one of those hand held play station or nintendo things. I have seen kids as young as six walking around with a cell phone and they look ridiculous.
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    when my oldest turned 11 I got him a low rent smart phone. I dont see anything wrong with it. WIth the GPS trcker I can find him just incase.
  • tripitena
    tripitena Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I dont think its anyones business but yours.

Dont like kids having phones? By all means dont buy YOUR kids one and mind your own damn business about what other people give THEIR kids.
  • Drop_it_Like_Its_Hawt
    Options
    My kid keeps telling me she's the ONLY sixth grader in school without a cell phone. She's been asking for a Droid though. I considered getting her one (a basic phone, not a droid) just to be able to keep in contact with her better when she's at friends places. I can only assume that's been the primary motivation for other parents giving their kids iPhones, and even if it isn't - I don't think it's cool to question someone's parenting in front of their kids, period. Every parenting style is different, and no parent is perfect.
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I think it is absolutely ridiculous for a child o have an iPhone. If you as a parent want them to have one so you can get in touch with them while they are at a friends house either 1) Call them on their friends LAND LINE like they used to do in the "olden days" when there was no such thing as a cell phone or 2) Get them some cheap-o phone that can only make and receive calls. If they want to play games get them one of those hand held play station or nintendo things. I have seen kids as young as six walking around with a cell phone and they look ridiculous.

How many people do you know with Land Line phones? I just went through the top 20 people I talk to and none of them have land lines.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    1) Call them on their friends LAND LINE like they used to do in the "olden days" when there was no such thing as a cell phone

HAHA, What's a landline? Or a payphone for that matter? My parents don't even have landlines anymore.
  • Mhaney
    Mhaney Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say anything to the kid at all, your kid your choice. But for my family, personally, my kids won't have a phone until they are out and doing things on their own without me or their father and they will have an android so I can track them. When they are with me or their father, the phone gets taken away. My child is 9 so all the extra classes she takes and the tournaments, I take her to so she doesn't need it. She'd LIKE to have one because her cousin has one but too bad.
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Times are changing and kids DO all have phones. The older generations need to appreciate that no child speaks on landlines any more and that the world expects a parent to be able to have a phone and contact their child whenever they are out and about. It's called progress. There is nothing wrong with a child having a phone.

However, an iPhone is the most expensive phone on the market and it doesn't really teach your child to save up for big luxuries like that. My parents paid for my phone contract through my teen years and it was usually a fairly good phone but not always the most high tech. When I graduated from university last year and got a full time job in the city, I finally ditched my VERY basic £5 Nokia for an iPhone 4 and i LOVE it. It's worth every penny I pay for it, and I feel proud that I can afford to pay for that myself.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    wouldn't say anything to the kid. i think it's too young, but i sat for a 4yr old with an IPAD, sooooooooooooooooooo, yeah
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options

How many people do you know with Land Line phones? I just went through the top 20 people I talk to and none of them have land lines.

Really? All of my friends and family have land lines.

If they don't have one then call them on the PARENTS cell phone like you would call a regular old land line. My parents did that and I survived.

Like I said, if you feel your child needs a cell phone then get them a cheap one that can only make and receive calls.
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    At ten years old, I would think that my child shouldn't be anywhere they would actually need a phone. I wouldn't berate the child or say anything rude. I think it says more about THAT person than it does about your child.