If you saw a ten year old girl with an iPhone....

Options

Replies

• Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Seeing a child with an iPhone makes me bitter that I can't afford one right now, lol.

But seriously, I think it's quite rude and presumptuous of that person to say those things. I still remember getting yelled at in school by the principal for coming late to class in the mornings, and I was only 6 or 7, and it left a lasting impression on me. I hate when people take up "parenting issues" with children who aren't at any fault or hold any responsibility, kids are kids.
  • Afterblue
    Afterblue Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Was she sending evil text messages? Was she using the iphone to summon demons from hell? Was she hitting other children with the iphone? Was she telling other kids that they are neanderthals because they don't have one and then taking photos of them and posting them with the "DORK" label on facebook? Was she having long, loud conversations on that phone in a place where silence was expected?

As a parent, I am often astonished by how people feel their own parenting rules should extend to everyone and if you fail to follow their rules you have failed as a parent and your kid needs to be told that on behalf of all parents everywhere. If your child is not being disruptive, rude, or using her iphone for evil world domination purposes, then my opinion is that it is not right to comment.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Would you b*tch her out for it? Assume it wasn't her phone?

Would you think her parents were too permissive?

Would you say anything or make any judgements at all?

My daughter just texted me to let me know that someone just gave her hell for "playing with her parents iPhone" when she told them it was HER phone, they then, IN FRONT OF HER, made some rather derogatory comments about my parenting choices and how permissive parents make bad children.

I almost wish I was there so I could give that person a piece of my mind.

Lauren

Id be more worried if i saw her with a gun.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    First off, what better way to keep track of your kids while you are not with them. I for one have no issues with this 10 year old child having a phone. These days you can upgrade your phone cheaply and sometimes even for free so who cares if they get an iphone or whatever. And second I would be just like you, my kid, my business and you keep your thoughts on it to yourself. I agree with you OP. I hate people nosying into my business. I don't agree with the way a lot of people raise their kids but I don't tell the parents or the children my opinion.
  • Julz2586
    Julz2586 Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    i get annoyed seeing little kids with iphones and stuff.... but only because i didn't have that stuff when i was their age.

BUT my neice and nephew have an iphone and one has an ipod touch both hand me down and both only use to play games not texting people.

But like most have said if you think your child is mature enough to handle something like that then do it.
    I know my stepdaughter is not mature enough to have an iphone, i was going to give her my old iphone for christmas last year but didn't because she broke her mobile that she only had for 3 months (and this wasn't the first mobile she had broken or lost)... and she's 17 this year.

BUT there is no way i would go up to a kid and say "OI DID YOU STEAL THAT PHONE" thats just stupid.
  • ethansmug
    ethansmug Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I would have just jacked the phone and then came home and added the running to MFP as part of my exercise for the day =]
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't buy a child something that expensive.

But I don't care what other parents do with their money, nor would I berate a child over such a trivial issue.

I'm a big advocate for this thing called minding your own business. Unfortunately some people don't know what that is.
  • stfriend
    stfriend Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I might do a double take and then assume it was hers. I may think she's too young, but then again, I don't know the circumstances. Plus, she's not my kid and as long as she's not hurt its none of my business. I certainly wouldn't say anything to her.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    10 is too young for a phone. Nothing like perpetuating the "texting generation" then letting them start that young. But I wouldn't say anything to the kid.
  • SteffieMark
    SteffieMark Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Not my child? Not hurting me or anyone else, that I see? Not my business, no matter what I think of it.
  • jwaitman
    jwaitman Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I have enough to do to keep up with my own kids. What others are doing is not my concern.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Whoever said that to your kid probably has a disfigured face in which case nobody would date him/her anyways.

Trololol.
  • skinnygurl02
    skinnygurl02 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Whatever I thought about the issue the child would never know. Some people are so rude...
  • predent
    predent Posts: 95
    Options
    It's none of my business. I had a cell phone when I was in middle school. However, I walked home from school in a pretty sketchy area in NY and, it was a black and white flip phone that didn't do anything other than snake. I also wasn't allowed to text or make any phone calls unless they were a "hey I'm about to get kidnapped" type of emergency.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    My son is 10 and has an iPhone. It's not too young. We just got my 8 year old daughter a cell phone too. Both my kids can probably compute you all into the ground. It's different for these kids. You don't even have to show them how to use it, they just grab it and do it. They know everything. It might depend on where you live. In the city, all the kids have them. It's safer. It makes you feel secure. If I lived in a more rural area, I might feel differently. It comes in handy a lot that we can talk to each other. I didn't know that people judge me for it. It's commonplace where I am for kids to have phones.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I think that is too young to have a phone, but I wouldn't say anything about it. I sure as heck wouldn't berate the child for it. Simply uncalled for.

This.

Second this.

Yup.
  • suzieqcookie
    suzieqcookie Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    i think its a bit much for a 10 year old to have an iphone but i would keep comments to myself. no need to say anything to the kid, thats stupid.

i agree.. it's too much too soon. kids are growing up waaaaay too fast as it is. kids need to be kids and have kid toys. but your kid, your money, your rules. it's nobody's business but yours.
  • sleonardbranson
    Options
    People really need to just mind their own business.....If someone said anything to my daughter like that....Oh they better pray I'm not near by...............I would have chewed them a new *kitten*, arm and neck....Lol

I have a peace of mind knowing I can get a hold of her no matter where she is.....it works for me:)....
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    My daughter is 6, and she has my old iPhone that she uses as an iPod. Heaven help the person who *****es her out, or makes any sort of comment at all.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    I just can't think why an 8 or 10 year old would need a phone. Surely they are only out of your sight at school and I don't know of any school that allow phones. Children only need phones once they are roaming unsupervised, and 10 is too young for that.