Jump into June - Let's Lose Just 1% of our body weight this month!

Options
Snooozie
Snooozie Posts: 3,444 Member
edited June 2015 in Social Groups
Small losses lead to big gains...especially for women... and instead of pounds. what about this month working on losing just a small percentage of our total body weight? Like.... MAYBE just ONE PERCENT (1%) of our body weight in June? Imagine we could work that up over the next few months to 3% or even 5% by the end of the year?

Losing just 5-10% of our body weight has been proven to have fabulous benefits.... so I thought maybe for this month we could look at things at little differently for ourselves... maybe aim for losing just 1% of our body weight for the month of June... and by the end of the year, we could each have lost a full 5% and reaped all the enormous benefits.. just a thought... some interesting stats:

In one national study, patients who lost a mere 7 percent of their total body weight reduced their risk for diabetes by 58 percent. A study in Finland found the same benefit with only a 5 percent weight loss. Similar improvements have been documented for hypertension and even sleep apnea.

Armed with these results, weight-loss experts have concluded that dieters might have better luck focusing on their hearts instead of on their hips. The onset of menopause adds even more risk to a woman's medical profile. ''You have a double whammy there because as you hit perimenopause there's both weight gain and a worsening of risk factors."

emnwvky29uhs.png

Just throwing it out there... any thoughts? yay or nay I'm good with either.. I just thought perhaps changing it up a bit and looking at it as losing just 1% for this month might be an idea??

Replies

• cbmcphillips
    cbmcphillips Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Sounds great - right now about 185 / -1% = 183.15... woo hoo... let's go for it.... B)
  • cbmcphillips
    Options
    ps - I think hubs would like the "improves sex life".... lol... tmi but it's working so far for us... ;)
  • seehe
    seehe Posts: 946 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Thanks so much Snooozie for getting us started in June and for such a great idea! I'm jumping in for sure :) I'll weigh myself tomorrow morning and go from there.
  • OldWomanRuns
    OldWomanRuns Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I'll jump on that!! I would have to lose 1.43# -- maybe I can do that? I like the idea of concentrating less on the number on the scale and focusing on being heart healthy and bone healthy.... I truly do feel that strength training needs to be more a focus for me. Yes, still get out there and walk/run 5-7 miles or whatever; but, seriously more strength training.

Goals for June:
    1. Lose 2#
    2. Strength train at least 3x a week
    3. Watch my sodium intake (don't I say that every week?,,,,,good grief)
    4. Work on better sleep - being in the office at 6 a.m. makes for a short night!
    5. Be more aware of what my body is saying. My BP dropped to 81/58 Saturday morning from doing 7 miles and well, didn't feel very great for the rest of the day! Derrrrrrrr
    6. More veggies in my diet. Would like to have at least 5 a day.... dreaming, I must be dreaming......

Thank you Snooozie - getting us Jumping!
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    I love this idea, Suzanne. I think it is one that I might be able to accomplish....I am going to try really hard while on vacation...no temptation lying around being stuck in a car or hotel room or walking a lot.
  • PatriceMG
    PatriceMG Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a plan!
  • seehe
    Options
    My goals for June:
    1. Reduce my daily calorie intake (but don't go below my RMR) and practice portion control
    2. Cook meals at home more often
    3. stay hydrated, especially in this heat!
    4. Exercise 3- 4 days per week

Expected Outcome: Lose 1% and be healthy B)
  • seehe
    Options
    IPOM today- was out by 6:30 AM walking the pooches. It was soooo lovely. Start of my walk it was a cool 69 degrees and a lovely 73 degrees 45 minutes later at the end of the walk. Absolute heaven compared to the 104 degree daily high yesterday and today! Only problem was everybody else had the same idea, so we were running into other dogs everywhere, which always causes a bit of chaos in the dog world. They seemed to vanish a little before 7AM, so perhaps I'll start out a little later next ime.
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Excellent! Glad to see everyone seems to be on board for trying something new; I too think the idea of focusing more on overall health and losing a percentage of our body weight for the month will be a good idea for a change; we don't have to post what the actual weight amount would be of course; as long as we each know what 1% of our current weight is, it would be awesome to hit the end of the month and be able to say... I lost 1% of my body weight... and just imagine... in a couple of months, we could be saying ive lost 5%... woo hoo!!

I've written my current weight and 1% number on my calendar for June 30th... kinda looking forward to seeing that morning when I can say I DID IT!

love that everyone is willing to give it a try; and love the goals - specially OWR about listening to your body, and Susan watching you don't go below your RMR.. Gail think its amazing you are planning ahead for your vacation as well; and also hope you have a fab time btw!!

Patrice - glad to hear yu're up for giving it a go too, and carol as well! This month is gonna fly by!

Susan - huge IPOU btw for your IPOM.. so glad you found such a huge diff in the early morning hours and could enjoy the walk - other than the doggie melee lol!!
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Options
    Hi, Girlz!! Just got back from my Doctor visit....depressing ...After all the extra exercising...breaking it up into 15- 30 minute sets... 60 minutes a day...cutting out sweet tea at night drinking water throughout the day and night......no difference in the AIC ...still 8.1.. So I told him that unless he looked me in the eye and said Gail you ARE diabetic, I was trying to be in Denial and not take meds.......Do you know what he said...GAIL, You ARE diabetic!! So I am Taking the MEDS and still trying to do the good things I have been doing...so maybe it will add up to a lower number next check-up.
    He said to try for 10% body weight loss..and I said we were way ahead of him on that!! And had already planned to drop at least1% in June... He was impressed...Thanks, Snoozie!!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Gail.. I am SO sorry to hear about the diagnosis ... I remember how devastated I was when I first heard those words... so sending a PM and a hug ..... and please just remember for the moment.. all that hard work you've been putting in IS helping; its a huge learning curve on diagnosis and the biggest is learning sugar isnt' really the biggest contributor to high A1C.... took me a couple of months to start figuring things out so just know for now i'm here for ya if you need to vent, cry, scream, yell or get angry (I seem to remember all those emotions running thru me!) AWESOME you were able to say to him that you knew exactly what 10% body weight loss will accomplish, and that you were already ahead of the game indeed!! ha!! hugs and more hugs
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Options
    Gotta give these up!!

t1952.gif

t1955.gif

t1957.gif

t1959.gif

which leaves me:
    t1967.gif
  • seehe
    Options
    So sorry to hear about your disappointment and your bad news at the doctor's office Gail. I sure know how that feels. I agree with Snooozie that it is a real learning curve, and that all the good stuff you have been doing really has been terrific for you. If there is anything I can do to help or provide support, please don't hesitate to ask or PM me. You can do this, I know it, one step at a time, one day at a time. (Love your animated gifs btw).
  • cbmcphillips
    Options
    Hi Gail

Love the pics. ..but I would hate it if my fork bent that way. .lol....

Stay strong and stay away from the pie eating contests. ...

You can and will do this

Carol B)
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Options
    Haha, Carol, it's spaghetti...

Snoozie, Seehe, You both have been a great help, I know you have tried to get me going on the right road....for over a year, when I first thought I was diabetic, but I didn't want to claim it, so I never really took it to heart , I thought I could manage it without meds...so thank you!! you for not popping me in the head, saying " We tried to help you!" You are all so kind!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    LOL @ Gail's gifs... too funny!! Altho I admit I too felt sad for the poor little fork guy!!!

And I'm still learning and figuring stuff out girl, susan and I just happened to have gleaned a little more info specific to the diabetes cause we got hit with it a while back; so as Susan said as well, there's nothing here for ya but encouragement, support and an offer of some individual help from either of us if you ever need it.. Susan was actually a great resource for me during my "what the hell do I do now" phase LOL!

I think I have a wee NSV im gonna claim; reader's digest version I have a wedding to go to tomorrow night; been forever since I've gone to one btw!) and during the decades I was at my highest weight, I would NEVER ever EVER wear a sleeveless dress... well only if I had a jacket or sweater which did NOT come off at all over it.. even in 100 degree temps that sucker would stay on to cover up my arms (and the rest of me). Since I've lost weight, AND passed the 50 yr point, I have truly become far less concerned about what anyone else might think about me and will publicly wear shorts now and even a bathing suit on vacation or a pool party...around my friends or strangers. a huge step for me as I literally spent years sweltering cause I was too embarrassed and worried about what others might be thinking seeing me in that stuff... but I still struggle with that in front of my coworkers for some reason.... friends and strangers, fine.. colleagues... still apparently have a little self consciousness around them I discovered!

so while I easily wear the shorts and t shirt even to work now cause we change there and nobody sees me lol ) or out and about for groceries etc... I have a lovely sleeveless dress I could wear to the wedding.... but its sleevless... and I was automatically out hunting the past few days for a sweater/jacket/wrap to go over it.. didn't find anything and I was starting to get a little crazed....my head was still in the 'its sleevless so need something to put over it mode)..

then today after 7 LONG shifts.. I was gonna stop yet again even tho i'm exhausted...but the traffic was nuts and i was getting crazed and suddenly at a light making the turn into the mall i then said out loud in the car... .. screw it. (pardon my English!) . i'm just gonna wear it as it is, sleevless and yes in front of all the people I work with.... and im gonna look just fine ty! and yes the batwings can still scare small children and yes admit I am still selfconscious at wearing something more form fitting rather than baggy, and that is sleevless and exposes said batwings.... but i'm done!

I am gonna wear it and im gonna LOVE how I look ... yes I am.. I am gonna love me just as I am right now....!!! batwings, muffin top, love handles.. the whole 9 yards... cause I am done wasting time waiting for that "magic number" I want to hit.... I realized I really DO need to just enjoy life being the me I am right now.... and the me I will be a few pounds lighter down the road, and the me today!! I am completely stress free now LOLOL.. and quite possibly going to hav a glass of wine to celebrate !! ha.. have a great weekend all!!
  • PatriceMG
    PatriceMG Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Yay Snoozie! You have the right attitude! I love it! Have a wonderful weekend!
  • seehe
    Options
    Snooozie, that is a fantastic NSV!!!! I'm really happy for you that your are feeling happy and comfortable in your own skin. And if you want to not even think twice about sleeveless, shorts, bathing suits, etc, all you need to do is live in Arizona for awhile where EVERYBODY, no matter what age or weight or level of attractiveness or unattractiveness lives in that type of clothing most of the year and think nothing of it cause it is survival! That reminds me of some funny Arizona sayings I think I'll post :)
  • seehe
    Options
    So it's that time of year again, and anybody wondering what it's like to live in Arizona, her ya go!

You Know You’re In Arizona When ….

You think Taco Bell is the local phone company.

You notice your car overheating before you drive it.

You no longer associate bridges or rivers with water.

You can hear the weather forecast of 115 degrees without flinching.

You discover, in July it only takes two fingers to drive your car, because your steering wheel is so hot.

The best parking is determined by shade.....not distance.

You run your air conditioner in the middle of winter so you can use your fireplace.

You realize that "Valley Fever" isn't a disco dance.

You can make sun tea instantly.

Hotter water comes from the cold water tap than the hot one.

It's noon in July, kids are on summer vacation and yet all the streets are totally empty of both cars and people.

You actually burn your hand opening the car door.

Sunscreen is sold year round and kept right at the checkout counter.

You put on fresh sunscreen just to go check the mail box.

Some fools will market mini-misters for joggers and some other fools will actually buy them. Worse.....some fools actually try to jog.

You can pronounce Saguaro, Tempe, San Xavier, Canyon de Chelly, Mogollon Rim, and Cholla.

You can understand the reason for a town named "Why"

You can fry an egg on the hood of a car in the morning.

You know hot air balloons can't rise because the air temperature is hotter than the air inside the balloon.

No one would dream of putting vinyl inside a car.

You can say "Hohokam" and people don't think you're laughing funny.

You hear people say "but it's a dry heat!"

You buy salsa by the gallon.

Your Christmas decorations include sand and l00 paper bags.

You think a red light is merely a suggestion.

All of your out-of-state friends start to visit after October but clear out come the end of April.

You think someone driving wearing oven mitts is clever.

Most of the restaurants in town have the first name "El" or "Los."

You think 60 tons of crushed red rock makes a beautiful yard.

Your house is made of stucco and has a red clay tile roof.

Most homes have more firearms than people.

You know better than to get into a car with leather seats if you're wearing shorts.

You can finish a Big Gulp in 10 minutes and go back for seconds.

You know a swamp cooler is not a happy hour drink.

You actually get these jokes and pass them on to other friends from Arizona.

You take rain dances seriously.

You've signed so many petitions to recall governors you can't remember the name of the incumbent.

When a rainy day puts you in a good mood.

When you drive two miles around a parking lot looking for a shady place - even in the dead of winter.

You feed your chickens ice cubes to keep them from laying hard-boiled eggs.

You "hug" a cactus only once in your lifetime.

When you have to look up "mass transit" in the dictionary.

You wear a bola tie.

A haboob happens.

Petrified doesn't mean scared.

The temperature drops below 95 and you feel a bit chilly.

You've experienced condensation on your butt from the hot water in the toilet bowl.

You would give anything to be able to splash cold water on your face.

You can attend any function wearing shorts and a tank top.

You realize that asphalt has a liquid state.