Ketonix Breath Analyser Help

Options
EddieEHitler
EddieEHitler Posts: 52 Member
Hey guys,

I'm hoping someone can help me with the Ketonix Breath Analyser I just purchased. Basically I'm not too sure how to use it and I can't really find clear instructions on the Ketonix website. I'd be really grateful if someone could answer a few questions...

1) Does it take 10 mins to calibrate every single time you use it?
2) I've used it one day and my ketone readings started at 17, then 5, then about a minute later up to 20. 20 what? What are these measurements of? What unit? Why such a huge difference within a minute of measuring?
3) I tried using it once without my PC and plugged it into a USB port. After about 10 mins waiting in the light to turn solid blue (which I presume indicates it is ready and calibrated) I exhaled into the unit and got a yellow reading with 5 flashes? What the heck does this mean? I can't find any documentation or instruction on the website. Any ideas?
3) is there a way to manually enter your ketone levels on the website if you aren't plugged into a PC?

Whilst I think this is a brilliant idea there's just too many flaws with this device. For example, I ordered the one with the battery and was expecting an internal battery but it's just a charge port. For the life of my I can't understand why the USB cable isn't removable and in this day and age surely a mobile app with Bluetooth connectivity isn't out of the question? Not everyone uses a PC these days and the software is not very good anyway. Apologies for the whinge but the device wasn't cheap and I expected at least to have clear instructions. How someone can help. Thank you!

Replies

• Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I have the older model, so I don't get number readouts.

1) Yes. I plug it in and do something else while waiting for it.
    2) No idea.
    3) Mine is based solely on flashes and color. 5 yellow (which, fyi, yellow looks orange and green looks yellow to me) would be in the middle of its moderate ketone range.
    4) No idea, never used it.

Good luck!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    1) You can leave it plugged in and replug to make a new reading - that way it's up to temperature and the zero calibration is quicker.
    2) I don't have the digital one but I would think it's a unit of acetone in breath by concentration. or "The measures will be indicated by a percentage of the sensor range" as it says on the web site.

Ask ketonix via email or social media perhaps.

https://www.ketonix.com/index.php/usage-3
  • EddieEHitler
    Options
    Thanks for the replies guys. I'll give it a few more days and try find out more information on how to use it properly.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I use it all the time. I have an older one without any readout, the "Sport" model. I love the machine, but is does have some foibles.

Answers to your questions:

1) It does take time to WARM up. Longer on cold days. Just do something else while it warms up.
    2) You probably didn't breath into it correctly. Here is how you have to use it:

a) Plug it in and wait until the blue light is solid and not blinking.
    b) Make sure you are calm and haven't eating anything in the last 30 minutes.
    c) The most important thing to get good readings and consistent, is HOW you blow into it. First you have to breath normally, then get the unit ready to put in your mouth. Put your thumb over the opening, because if you blow even a small breath into it, you will get a false premature reading. Then, concentrate and breath in and out and when you take in your next breath and just as you start to exhale, throw the meter into your mouth and blow until you can't anymore. With that said, if you take a huge breath or gulp of air before breathing into it, that is WRONG. DO NOT gulp in extra air before breathing into it! If you do, you will dilute the acetones that it is trying to measure. You will get a low ketone reading. You have to concentrate and blow into it at the peak of breathing in. It takes practice to get it right. Also, there is a hole on the device to let your air escape as you blow into it and the air will come out at a controlled rate. BE SURE to NOT PUT YOUR FINGER on the HOLE, or you will not be able to blow out!
    d) Next it will blink different colors, but hold on! Wait until you get a pattern of colored blinks and COUNT how many blinks it does. It will do a pattern of blinks over and over the same amount, so do worry if you miss the first count.
    e) Blue blinks means your don't have any ketones (0-9) and that you suck at doing the low carb diet :s , Green has a range of the number of blinks from (10-19). I think you have to be 5 blinks (15) in Green to be in Ketosis. Orange blinks are (20-29). So, if it blinks Orange 3 times, that means you are at 23. Red is (30-39). Red means your really kicking out the ketones (that's a good thing!) :) . Red is usually what I get after a day of water fasting.
    f) If you go to Ketonix website, it will tell you what the numbers mean. If I remember correctly, I think 5 green (15) is the minimum to be in ketosis. The optimal range (I think) is 15 to 30 (1 red). Even on my worst day, I am never in the Blue or Green zone, I'm always orange and red, day or night, before of after meals. I'm usually orange 5-7 blinks (25-27).

1o2q0v40ttlq.png

I had their website that explained the numbers, but have lost it and I went to their website and can't find it now. If you stay true to not eating more than 40 carbs a day, you should be in the orange range all the time.

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan
    It's Ketogenic or Bariatric! How I Found the Ketogenic Diet
    Blog #10 Keto: Abbreviations, Acronyms & Terminology Used on the LCD & Keto Discussion Groups
    Blog #13 DittoDan's Milestone's, First's And Good Changes Since Starting the Ketogenic Diet
    DittoDan's Keto Blogs
    How I got Off of Diabetic Prescriptions Drugs Since I Started Keto
    Blog #11 Really Good Keto Websites
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    ebay.com/itm/LCD-Digital-Police-Breath-Alcohol-Tester-Analyzer-Detector-Breathalyzer-Advanced-/321730917220?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ae8a83364

I have three of these and they all give a different reading but each meter is consistent and I benchmark the one that reads out in the middle of the other two using the Precision Xtra Ketone/Glucose meter. If the alarm sounds I know I am strong keto but if I only get a Caution reading I am doing OK. If I eat out and come back and blow .0000 or a very low reading I know I got into some sugar but after 8 months I seldom miss hidden carbs.

I tend to blow daily just of the heck of it. By the way they all read .0000 or a very low reading for several times and over time the read out numbers seem to climb a bit. Warm up time is 15 seconds.

I read up on the Stick and it seems to offer a reference point like these $10 meters so you at least have a reference point without first bleeding.
  • EddieEHitler
    edited June 2015
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »

I hope this helps,

Dan - you really ARE the man. Thank you! This is extremely helpful. The Ketonix website seems to be lacking quite a lot of important information - unless I am looking in the wrong place. I'll test the Ketonix as you have suggested. I'm hoping to get some consistent results. Some of your blogs look like they would be helpful too so I'll make a point of checking them out. Much appreciated. Thank you!
  • EddieEHitler
    Options

Thanks Gale. That seems like too much hard work. Fair play to you! I'm hoping I can get the Ketonix working as it should, therefore I wouldn't need any of these, but thank you for the suggestion nonetheless :smile:
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Dan IS definitely the MAN! His blogs are super informative! This group is full of people who are amazing teachers!
  • EddieEHitler
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    Dan IS definitely the MAN! His blogs are super informative! This group is full of people who are amazing teachers!

Fantastic. Thank you!
  • EddieEHitler
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I have to be honest, I'm getting really frustrated with this thing. After calibration when the light turns solid blue, I blow into the unit but after about 10 attempts it hasn't registered once. The light remains solide blue. The support documentation is non-existent. Does anyone know what is wrong or what I could be doing wrong? Thanks all!
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Sounds like its defective. Send the ketonix support an email, they responded to my question fairly fast.

I hope this helps,

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    vipergrm wrote: »
    I have to be honest, I'm getting really frustrated with this thing. After calibration when the light turns solid blue, I blow into the unit but after about 10 attempts it hasn't registered once. The light remains solide blue. The support documentation is non-existent. Does anyone know what is wrong or what I could be doing wrong? Thanks all!

You may simply have low acetone in your breath. My LC friend could never blow anything but blue on my ketonix.

To test the sensor have a mouthful of wine and blow, or blow air through it from an aerosol deduster can. It should respond fast to those organic vapours.
  • EddieEHitler
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »
    Sounds like its defective. Send the ketonix support an email, they responded to my question fairly fast.

I hope this helps,

That's what I'm thinking too. I contacted them yesterday and I'm still awaiting a reply. Thank you.
  • EddieEHitler
    Options
    Hold the phone! I used it tonight and it seems to be working again. I'm getting one flashing yellow light now and it's been calibrated to Sport mode instead of standard. I think that means moderate ketones?
  • EddieEHitler
    Options
    Up to 8 yellow flashes today so seems to be working. Not far off red. Yippeeeeee :smiley: