PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I do some tai-chi and some hiking.
  • adam145
    adam145 Posts: 32 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    DaveAkeman wrote: »
    Now you're making me think that maybe this guy really WAS going to ride down! (Maybe YOU are that guy??? Was that YOU on that trail, @adam145? I mean, I can't imagine there are very many Mountain Unicyclers in the world . . .)

Hehe. Yes, it actually is a thing :smile:, although it wasn't me in Oregon, I'm several thousand miles away. I started two or three years ago (in my early 40s - So it's never too late!), and regularly ride around the local mountain bike tracks here. My longest 1 wheel ride to date is just over 30 miles, but there are people who do more. I'm an introverted unicyclist, which is almost an oxymoron, so I tend to keep to the quieter areas - there's only so much "Where's your other wheel" I can take! :blush:
  • samhennings
    samhennings Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    KRPolo wrote: »
    @maggiekat7- I have been struggling with the same question, but decided to give Stronglifts 5x5 a shot, and started today. I know that there are a lot of success stories out there that included weight lifting, so I am going to give it a try!

I do Stronglifts on the off days.

5x5 mon, Wed, Fri and C25k Tue, Thu, Sat. Sunday is my "Im not moving off of the couch even if the house is on fire" day.

So far Im not finding them conflicting at all, though fatigue can be an issue so I am very careful about getting adequate calories and rest.
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Sulk ;)
  • DaveAkeman
    DaveAkeman Posts: 296 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    adam145 wrote: »
    DaveAkeman wrote: »
    Now you're making me think that maybe this guy really WAS going to ride down! (Maybe YOU are that guy??? Was that YOU on that trail, @adam145? I mean, I can't imagine there are very many Mountain Unicyclers in the world . . .)

Hehe. Yes, it actually is a thing :smile:, although it wasn't me in Oregon, I'm several thousand miles away. I started two or three years ago (in my early 40s - So it's never too late!), and regularly ride around the local mountain bike tracks here. My longest 1 wheel ride to date is just over 30 miles, but there are people who do more. I'm an introverted unicyclist, which is almost an oxymoron, so I tend to keep to the quieter areas - there's only so much "Where's your other wheel" I can take! :blush:

I suppose that if mountain unicycling is a "thing", it's going to catch on in Oregon. There is an annual bike ride here called the 'bridge pedal'; essentially, it crisscrosses downtown Portland over the many bridges there. I think it crosses 6 or 8 bridges, and it's about a 20 mile ride. VERY popular, with thousands and thousands of bicycles (Portland is getting to be almost as bicyclish as Amsterdam . . . ALMOST). I have seen many unicyclists on the ride.

Even more interesting, there is a guy in Portland, Oregon who can often be seen riding a unicycle around downtown in a Darth Vader outfit and a kilt, playing the bagpipes, with flames coming out the drones. How's THAT for nonsequitor??? Calls himself the Unipiper. I've heard you can hire him for parties and stuff.

Here's a video of him: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnVjkE87FDY
  • DaveAkeman
    DaveAkeman Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Back to the original point of the thread . . . perhaps the OP would like to take up a mixed hobby of unicycling, Star Wars role playing, and bagpiping???