Carbs at 56g today will that set me back?

jessica22222
jessica22222 Posts: 374 Member
I mistakenly munched on some chocolate chips and misread the label. I thought it said Carbs per cup, but it was tablespoon...oops. My daily goal is 20-30g per day, this is the first day I've gone over since starting about 6 days ago. I'm at 56g today. Could that ruin my ketosis? I will never eat chocolate chips again! Haha

Replies

• radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    edited June 2015
    Its definitely not anything to worry about :) The recommendation of 20-25g net carbs for keto is because that amount is guarenteed to get basically everyone into ketosis, and to kill carb cravings, and to get yourself off to a good start, etc. Many people eventually adjust that number up a bit and find that they can stay in ketosis at 50g carbs or even more. Whether that's true for you, its impossible to say, but I definitely wouldn't stress about it, just shoot for 20 tomorrow.

I think most people make some mistakes when they start for the first time, if you haven't been eating well, or have only looked at calories and nothing else on labels, since its such a different way of doing things. In my first month I know I messed up a couple different times for a lot more than 50g carbs, once getting a teriyaki sauce on something without thinking about the fact it is basically sugar, and another time getting boneless wings instead of the regular ones, and not thinking about the fact that they were breaded. It happens.
  • jessica22222
    Great! Thanks for your response. Made some mistakes today, but learned from them :) at least I didn't eat a whole chocolate cake haha!
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Mmmm I'd totally love if chocolate chips were 6 carbs a cup lol
  • jessica22222
    Mmmm I'd totally love if chocolate chips were 6 carbs a cup lol

Haha that's what I was thinking! Woohoo 6g a cup I'll just have a small handful. Not the case lol.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    I think I figured at one point that the ones I was eating were 2 calories each, roughly. I wasn't counting carbs back when!
  • jmiller1028
    jmiller1028 Posts: 17 Member
    I have done this as well. I would say that no matter what happens even if it does kick you out of ketosis, you just get up the next day and start over. It's only one day and not that worth worrying about. :smiley:
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Overall consistency over time will get you where you need to be.
  • myfitnesspale3
    myfitnesspale3 Posts: 276 Member
    You can reduce guessing by using Ketostix or other test strips. Maybe use the combos to get early notice UTI.