Turning off MFP emails?

Options
KarlaYP
KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
I get an email for every post.... Is there a way to turn this off? I had just over 800 emails and I bet 98% were mfp originated. Thanks!

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    go to settings and look at notifications.... Let me know if you need more specifics, and I'll look up exact steps.
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Thank you!!
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Found it! When I jumped in here back in February I never looked at the settings, or even read the guidelines! Will be good to not have so many emails to clear! Also, through reading the guidelines, I see I may have violated them a bit! Thanks again Carley!
    You, my dear, are a tremendous resource!! :smiley:
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    Found it! When I jumped in here back in February I never looked at the settings, or even read the guidelines! Will be good to not have so many emails to clear! Also, through reading the guidelines, I see I may have violated them a bit! Thanks again Carley!
    You, my dear, are a tremendous resource!! :smiley:

How on earth might you have violated the guidelines. Maybe I need to go read them??

You are so welcome. It's one of the things that comes naturally to me, thankfully...
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    The guidelines state that we aren't to post the same on more than one group. Not even supposed to use symbols to represent curse words. I think that's the two main ones. I'm sure my over indulgence in alcohol a couple of weeks ago violated some guidelines too, lol!

I'm very thankful for your gift!! :smiley:
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    The guidelines state that we aren't to post the same on more than one group. Not even supposed to use symbols to represent curse words. I think that's the two main ones. I'm sure my over indulgence in alcohol a couple of weeks ago violated some guidelines too, lol!

I'm very thankful for your gift!! :smiley:

Yup, I'm guilty then. Oops. Not. In a group, where we are all intelligent people, I don't think we should have to sensor ourselves, but heaven forbid we'd all be mature people... *sigh*
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    True that my friend! :wink:
  • greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Not even supposed to use symbols to represent curse words.
    Do you suppose that means we are supposed to write the bleeping words out, or not use them at all?
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    I think that why you see them represented with *. I believe the mods try to stay on top of this. Language doesn't bother me, but it does some folks. I guess that's why it's in the guidelines.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I think that why you see them represented with *. I believe the mods try to stay on top of this. Language doesn't bother me, but it does some folks. I guess that's why it's in the guidelines.

The asterisk thing is an automated thing. The system picks up certain words and substitutes them. It's actually a pretty naive system, too. It doesn't catch titles or links, it has a fair number of false positives (heaven forbid you want to talk about Dick's Sporting Goods), and it's easily circumvented if you know what the trigger words are.

That said, the mods don't generally care, that I've seen, about the occasional swear word (that's what the mature language filter is for), as long as you're not dropping f-bombs every other word. In the groups themselves, the MFP mods don't care at all. Those are intended to be self-policing.

The multiposting thing is only about the categories in the main forums, largely as a rudimentary anti-spam mechanism (mostly geared toward naive people who feel the need to post the same thing in damn near every category). Again, the groups are self-policing and MFP doesn't care if you post the same thing here and in the Clean Living group and the Paleo group and so on.
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Thank you @Dragonwolf! I assumed it was the moderators who changed it to asterisks. I need to remember not to assume, lol! In the guidelines it states not to post the same more than once, it's not really clear. Thank you for helping me there too!!

Have a great day! :smiley: