One month in...

Options
_jayciemarie_
_jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
Well, my body has reacted exactly like I read it would. Initially I lost a great deal of weight. I'm a month in and my weight has remained the same for the last week. Does the "Stall" portion usually happen around a month in? Typically how long does it last?

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Depends on your body. Could be as short as a couple of days, could be as long as 3-4 weeks. The important part is to stay the course. Your body will start dropping weight again once it's ready to do so.

It's also not uncommon for weight loss to come in spurts. Since the last time I changed up my way of eating, I will lose 3-4lbs over the course of a few days, then nothing (or bounce around the same couple of pounds) for about a month, then drop another 3-4lbs from my previous low weight. I changed nothing about my eating or my activity level.

This happens for a hundred different reasons -- a thousand for women :wink: -- but the thing to remember is that you are still burning fat, but other processes have stepped in and are interfering with the number on the scale.

If you haven't read it yet, go read this -- http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10067269/your-scale-is-a-lying-liarpants?new=1 -- if you have read it already, go back and read it again.
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Thank you. Reading that made me feel like I'm normal. I am not naturally patient, but for this I am trying to be since my body has responded exactly how I read it would I have no problem trusting that it works.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    I stalled after about two months, I think it was. And while the scale has just been inching down, I'm still losing body fat as evidenced by the fact that most of the clothes in my closet no longer fit. I remember somebody saying that it's common to stall after losing about 10% of your body weight. Just keep at it and don't give up. I have found taking selfies in the mirror motivates me because I can see changes in my body that don't necessarily show up on the scale or the tape measure.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    My weight loss slowed to just 1.5 pounds over six weeks! Could have given up, many times! Then this week has been a whoosh for me! Have dropped six pounds since Sunday! Hang in there and keep doing what you know to be right for you! :smiley:
  • sj_arndt
    sj_arndt Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hang in there! It takes consistency to be consistent lol That's the hardest part for me! I have to always remind myself I want this to be a lifestyle not just a diet. Keep at it and you'll notice you will start losing again. I found it helpful to implement calorie cycling as well, and to increase my water & salt intake.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    My weight loss has behaved like an inch worm. Up .8 lbs, down 1.2, up 1.6 lbs, down .8, then down 1.. don't look at the macro, you need to pan out and see the whole picture.

Speaking of which, don't focus on a number on the scale. If you keep with it, you're going to have all SORTS of Non-Scale Victories (NSVs) that are going to totally outshine what the scale says!