My horse is coming home soon... an introduction of sorts.

Options
aconybelle
aconybelle Posts: 20 Member
Hi everybody!
My gelding has been at the trainers now for a couple of months, and he'll be home soon. Before that he was "on vacation" for about a year. So, I was too. He's gotten fit and fabulous, and a good dressage base is being established.
I've been riding all my life, with pockets of time in between where I didn't ride at all.
Anyway, I'm super nervous about getting back on, even though he's a saint. Not just that I'll fall, although the older I get, the more that stays in my head. I'm also concerned that I will ruin him, lol. I've already gotten the trainer to agree to come here to teach at least once a month, but my ring will be grass, and the "rails" will be tape fencing. We won't get a proper ring till a little later.
I'm used to riding in a ring with great footing, and nice rails. And I am a timid rider. I know I need to get my butt out on the trails and get over it.
So that's me and where I'm at. Anyone else in the same boat? Or maybe just some encouragement.

Replies

• jordank_32
    jordank_32 Posts: 16 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I've gotten a lot less brave with age too. Mostly after I've had kids. Although I wouldn't consider myself a timid rider, I definitely am more aware of horse dangers than I was before.

At home riding tips:

Always wear a helmet

Make a clear establishment (to the horse) of his pasture and the arena. So he knows arena is for work and pasture is for play.

Try to have someone around just in case of emergency.

Make your daily rides consistent. The rides should be an adequate amount of time to be a good exercise for you and your horse.

Keep your goals and focus with every ride. This is hard when your trainer isn't around every day. Have your trainer give you "homework" and try to get that homework done in time before the next time the trainer is out so he/she can see your improvement and hard work.

Most importantly, especially in your case, be in control of your horse. Demand his respect and attention to your aids. Don't give him the opportunity to take advantage of you. Even the great horses try to get away with something now and again; whether it be not going forward (laziness is not a good thing), not accepting the bit, moving off leg pressure, etc.

Let us know how your riding goes!