Market Research for Acetone Breathalyzer

sean_hwang
sean_hwang Posts: 5 Member
Hello Low Carb Community!

My name is Sean Hwang, a graduate student at the University of Pittsburgh. Our team, Nanoketo, recently won a competition to develop an acetone breathalyzer to help monitor ketosis. I got really interested in this project since I have been doing a keto diet in and out over past couple of years, and then found out that breath acetone is a good proxy for measuring BHB in the blood.

http://www.pinch.pitt.edu/fall2014.htm (NanoKeto)

We need some additional market research data to help our project continue forward. If you have some time, we would really appreciate your help if you could answer few questions in the survey link below.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/keto

Thank you for your time and help! Good luck low carbers!

Best regards,

Sean Hwang

Replies

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Took your survey. Good luck!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Best success with research. Strips for ketone for Precision Xtra about $1 each on ebay. The $10 alcohol analyzer gives me an acetone reading so I know if I am in or out of ketosis daily. I do the blood ketone and glucose quarterly since I have been in ketosis for 8 months and nothing new of interest to learn.

ebay.com/itm/LCD-Digital-Police-Breath-Alcohol-Tester-Analyzer-Detector-Breathalyzer-Advanced-/311159276709?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item487289c4a5
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    That is brilliant, Gale. I just ordered one. :)

Have you ever calibrated the breathalyzer against your blood ketone meter? Does it track fairly well?
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    wabmester they kind track but is more like a Go No Go gauge use when producing machine parts.

Expect it to read very low at first or at least my did but you will like it I think. This morning I blew .029 but .036 yesterday morning. If I fasted the rest of the day I could blow .050+ in the morning I expect.

For $10 it is kind of a fun bloodless toy. :)
  • LawMJY
    LawMJY Posts: 42 Member
    Good luck with your research!
  • aspiedude
    aspiedude Posts: 44 Member
    Took with pleasure. Would be glad to test "drive" one when they're ready!