Flirting with Ketosis

DrawnToScale
DrawnToScale Posts: 126 Member
I'm still a relative beginner at LCHF. My total carbs generally run 90-130 grams/day. But sometimes when my carbs run lower for a couple of days (~50-70 grams/day), I start feeling extreme indigestion / heartburn - to the point where I can barely eat (hmmm - is this where the weight loss comes from?) I have not used any keto stix, but perhaps this is beginning of ketosis? Is this a common symptom? If so, how long does this last? I certainly don't want to feel this way for any length of time. If I'm able to lose ~3 lbs/month with total carbs at the 90-130 gram/day level, what would be the motivation to crank the carbs down lower?

Replies

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    That's not related to ketosis, but it may be related to hunger in general. On the days you go low on carbs are you also going low on calories?
  • DrawnToScale
    No, my lower carb days are days when fat is higher and calorie intake is maintained. I do suffer from GERD, and perhaps that is aggravated by LCHF?
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    No, my lower carb days are days when fat is higher and calorie intake is maintained. I do suffer from GERD, and perhaps that is aggravated by LCHF?

Anything is possible, though for me it's the exact opposite. It's something quite a few people in /r/keto have mentioned too, that it improved once they started. Have you ever done any kind of structured elimination diet to see exactly what's causing it?
  • DrawnToScale
    My doctor suggested that I give up wine, chocolate and coffee. My wine intake is down to about 1 glass/week, and my 85% chocolate is down to ~2 oz/month. But - I simply can't seem to give up the coffee. I guess until I do that, I can't really point my finger at other things.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    My GERD flared up after a few weeks with this woe, but has gotten much better. My theory is as our bodies heal with this woe we will experience symptoms of the problems as they heal. This theory isn't based on anything other than personal experience. Hope yours resolves quickly!
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Karlottap wrote: »
    My GERD flared up after a few weeks with this woe, but has gotten much better. My theory is as our bodies heal with this woe we will experience symptoms of the problems as they heal. This theory isn't based on anything other than personal experience. Hope yours resolves quickly!

I've heard this too.

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member

I've heard this too.

Also, you may find that since you have GERD that you have to drop your carbs lower. Essentially, your body has a set amount of digestive acid and bile available. Your body will process those carbs first. If you do not have enough acid/bile left to fully digest your fats, you will have heartburn. That is why high fat and high carb diets tend to lead a lot of folks to have that reaction. I personally would suggest cutting the carbs lower as your raise your fats. The healing factor there is big. Also, stay away from peppermint (it can confuse the stomach flap into not closing and allow acids back up your esophagus... and don't drink while eating (before or after, but not during, much) as it can cause the acids to float in your stomach rather than working at full effectiveness. Also, we had a discussion about GERD and heartburn and such not long ago. The majority of folks (like 75% of more) who have some form of acid heartburn, etc., actually are no producing enough of one of the types of acid used in digestion. As a result, the body overproduces the other acid types, and so this can trigger the issues. Sometimes adding an acid such as lemon juice (works for my boyfriend) or apple cider vinegar (works for my daughter), can reduce the heartburn. This does not work for everyone, but is worth trying sometime when you have time to deal with fallout...
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    I can't do a lot of pork or other processed foods or I get heartburn. I had really bad reflux one weekend and realized I'd had pork 5 out of 9 meals. See what you're eating regularly that might be a trigger and the knock it off and see what happens!
  • Kymber2015
    Kymber2015 Posts: 4 Member
    I am one week back into low carb (Atkins). I have been living this lifestyle for about 1 1/2 years. I lost 40 lbs. I have kept that weight off but have been maintaining at around 162 lbs for about the last 8 months. I just can't shake it! I've tried working out more, blah, blah. So I finally gave in and went to a "weight loss center" and got some appetite suppressants (please don't judge). So last week, at the "fat dr" I weighed 166, that was on Wed. I went to the store after the dr. visit and got some healthier foods and on Friday I had a reg. dr. appt and weighted 161...now I will add that some of that loss were the clothes I had on at both appts. However, today, 6 days later I weighed in at 156.6!!! I have been, probably, going way too low on carbs but honestly I've been so active and the pills are really working for me! I was in Ketosis this morning!! WOOHOO!! That hasn't happened in months!! I only need to lose about 25 lbs or if I could get to around 140, that weight looks healthy on me so I will be happy with that. I haven't been at 155 in over 5 years! I started low carb at 195 lbs! It's been a slow process with alot of struggles, however, this way of eating really works for me!
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Kymber2015 wrote: »
    I have been, probably, going way too low on carbs but honestly I've been so active and the pills are really working for me! I was in Ketosis this morning!! WOOHOO!! That hasn't happened in months!! I only need to lose about 25 lbs or if I could get to around 140, that weight looks healthy on me so I will be happy with that. I haven't been at 155 in over 5 years! I started low carb at 195 lbs! It's been a slow process with alot of struggles, however, this way of eating really works for me!

We have a few meatavores here who basically just eat meat. Unless your body complains, there's not really such a thing as too low carb. Good luck, and make sure your salt is up!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member

Karlo see if this article link may apply. It talks about 'retracing' of symptoms.

mosesnutrition.com/forms_and_articles/retracing-healing-reactions-or-flare-ups/