Relapse - Reaching out for a bit of support

Options
Hi there,
I've been struggling on and off with binge eating for the past two years after I was put on a really restrictive diet by my GP. I've started keeping a diary of when the 'binge attacks' - for me its any kind of sugary food; If I'm bored; if I'm over tired; and - possibly hormonal?

I've had a really good streak recently - felt really in control was over 3 weeks binge free, I logged everyday which really helped, I planned meals in advance, which again really helped - but have had a relapse and spent 6 days binging, which for me is a long streak.

The guilt I'm feeling is terrible, I'm so ashamed, and feel like I've 'undone' all my hard work. Also I forgot just how ill it makes me feel - the headaches! the tummy ache! the shame! ergh! - Each day of the binge I've been telling myself that tomorrow will be the new start - I'll binge today, then fast tomorrow...

I'm determined to not binge tomorrow, I'm in need of some support though...

Replies

• Pudding1980
    Pudding1980 Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    My longest streak has also been three weeks and I almost made it there again earlier this week, but last night was bad. I went way over cals today, no bingeing, but I still feel the same things you mentioned (sore tummy, headaches, like a hungover feeling) and it's awful.

I will check back here tomorrow to see how you're doing :)
  • mae918
    mae918 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    I had a binge streak last month..gained 11 pounds in 3 weeks of the 15 pounds that took me 3 months to take off. I was frustrsted. I was sick for almost 2 weeks with cramping and pain in my stomach. I knew it would get all get worse if I didn't just start again- right where I was at. No waiting for Monday. No waiting for tomorrow if I screwed up today. As soon as I Can catch myself - I do.

I can't stress enough - first step: FORGIVE YOURSELF. This is my theory and I know it is one theory of many...but be forgiving of yourself and realistic of where you are at so you can move forward. Set smaller goals if you have to...achieve those and feel good. You've done awesome before and you can do that again. Keep your head up, go back to the plan that worked for you - and keep trying.
  • stepawayfromthebiscuits
    Options
    I wonder what it is about the three week mark? Thanks, I'm working on the forgiving of myself, it's easier said than done. Have been strong today, have had a few urges and felt like packing it in and succumbing to the binge call, but have resisted so far. I'm thinking of setting smaller goals. I'm aiming to get three days binge three in a row for a start...nearly one down! :smile:
    Options
    Thanks for your reply, it's been really good to hear from people, makes me feel less alone. For me binge eating is very secretive, and the people I've told and know about it still don't really understand it. I've been really spurred on from everyone's support, and I've had a binge free day today, I'm hoping it's the start of a long binge free time. :smile:
  • Pudding1980
    Pudding1980 Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Nice job making it through the day!

Something does happen to me around that three week mark, almost like I miss it (which sounds insane) and feel like I can test myself.

Whoever said it is often exhausting is right. When I am really fighting the urge to binge I get mentally and physically exhausted.
  • mae918
    mae918 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    With my last streak - I decided to give up just the two main foods I was bingeing on. Instead of telling myself I couldn't binge, I decided that I just couldn't eat those two foods at all for a month. I haven't touched them and I am getting close to my month goal. That method seems to help me get started in a good direction. And, yes, I totally agree about the 3 week thing. That's a hurdle! You're def not alone!

Awesome job getting through today!!
  • totaldetermination
    totaldetermination Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    There are so many of us here who have similar struggles.

Congratulations on getting through the day, yesterday. From my experience, I can imagine what a big effort that is, and how wonderful it feels :smile: :smile: :smile:

• sothgo
    sothgo Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    congratulations for this victory, it can be the beginning of a long time without binging, every day without a binge is a victory.
    Options
    Thanks for all the support, halfway through day two and I'm feeling the pangs still, it's not easier today as I'd've hoped. I'm determined to stay strong, I know binging won't make me happy and I'd regret it 30 minutes later. I'm inspired by all your kind words and support though, which is pulling me through! :smile:
    Options
    I cracked and failed last night, weirdly I feel better for it? Does anyone else feel like the urge to binge is sometimes an itch to scratch that literally won't go away until it's fulfilled? It was not the worst binge and I feel more clear headed today, Mondays are always a positive start for me. Fingers crossed I can make it through today, and fingers crossed I can make it through tomorrow too.
  • sothgo
    sothgo Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    yeah sometimes I NEED to binge and I feel better after but just if it's not a big big binge. I tell myself ok it's done you can't go back, tomorrow will be better.
    I think that you have to be kind to yourself, because it's a long way to change, fingers crossed for you for today!
    Options
    Thanks, it wasn't a massive binge and I'm feeling positive about today. Fingers crossed for us all :)
    Options
    I'm not able to seek professional advice, financial constraints, but I have recently got some literature to read and I'm starting to take it more seriously as a health related matter. It's something I may consider for the future though.