Any semi- or moderate low carbers out there? 80-100g/day?

Options
Hi folks!

I'm experimenting with eating around 80-100g carbs per day (clean food, 95% prepared at home). I'd love to hear from some folks trying a similar approach.

Not knocking anybody else. Glad to see so many success stories in this group!

Mary

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    That's probably me, ish. I don't really "count" carbs. I just try to eat slower burning carbs.
  • DrawnToScale
    DrawnToScale Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'm usually in the 90-120 total carb grams/day. I definitely lose weight faster when I'm below 100!
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Oooh, me! Sometimes lower, sometimes higher. Basically, I'm too lazy to maintain a strict VLC, but not so crazy as to binge on carbs. I love the relative freedom it gives me along with all of the LC benefits, including weight loss.
  • mlinton_mesapark
    mlinton_mesapark Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Thanks, y'all! Feeling less alone now. :-)

So far I've lost approximately 14 lbs in 19 days on this WOE. Of course, I'm just getting started and fully expect things to slow down soon, and definitely by the time I'm in my "normal" weight range.
  • DrawnToScale
    DrawnToScale Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Enjoy this initial rush of success, it does slow down after a while!
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    ME!!

I just eat fibrous veggies mainly for carbs and some dark chocolate 85% cocoa, and a 80 calorie Greek yogurt daily

It is hard to go over 70 carbs

Even add a couple low carb tortilla shells

So by my nutritional choices I get very little refined sugar or simple carbs

• professionalHobbyist
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Enjoy this initial rush of success, it does slow down after a while!

I have lost 115 in a little under a year and a half net

Put on about 15-20 pounds of muscle

It has ups and downs but consistency and a healthy diet for life was what I wanted

And oh yes seeing the scale move was always exciting

Wearing 34 waist jeans that have some room in them is the latest exciting thing!

Edit: I eat about 60 carbs a day. My macro is set to 64 I believe
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Me, but I am trying to go to 50 or less. I just started monitoring carbs and don't want to waste some of the carb laden food I bought, so it will be awhile! I try my best not to let it get too close to 100 at this point.
  • jklacy
    jklacy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been a on low carb for a while now. I lost 55 lbs total to date. That was over a year ago. I have maintained my weight and I am now trying to be more strict recently. I want to lose the last 10. This is definitely a lifestyle change not just a quick fix. You learn as you go how to make better choices.
  • pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I started low carb on the 14th April, 50-100 and have now lost over 14lbs, then I started reading other forums and tried to restrict myself to less than 20 carbs, my weight loss has slowed to 1lb a week last week 2, I do also keep an eye on cals between 1200-1400, I am going back to 50-75, and see what happens, Looking back through my food diary, first few days were up to 70s using up food, then until 19th May averaged 60 per day some more some less, since that date I have dropped carbs and some days below 20 others below 40, probably weekends. So resetting my goals to 75 and see what happens.
  • SlimBride2Be
    SlimBride2Be Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I feel guilty if i have more than 50 but as I don't weigh more than once every couple of months I can't tell if I could get away with more. Maintenance will definitely involve 100ish I think - will add in sweet potatoes and more veg!
  • giftbouquets
    giftbouquets Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have just started and am trying to keep below 100. Did this a couple of years ago and lost 50lb. Unfortunately slipped back into my old carb heavy diet and have put about half of this back. Have stopped all grains and am mostly getting my carbs from veg and fruit. Cravings are just beginning to ease of, so I know I am on the right track. This has now got to be a WOE for life so I am trying to find what will work for me in the long term. Good luck
  • professionalHobbyist
    Options
    I reversed my type 2 diabetes with lots of advice from my doctor, a trainer, and Google searching

I never believed this bit about some carbs act different inside an insulin resistant person than others , but it held true for me.

I do work better at over 50 vegetable based carbs, and of course my 10g of dark chocolate for heart health.

Different people do better at different levels obviously.

Too low and I don't have the zip in my workout.

I have s hard workout planned for today. So I had extra protein and some complex carbs, like 25 or so at breakfast.

Honestly I think carbs I ate in that last were over 100 a meal. It was no wonder I gained weight!!

It has just taken lots of time and exercise to get to where I am not so insulin resistant

It is a balancing act for me. Seeing good results living at 60-80 a day feels good. No pressing desire to mess up a good thing.

A BLT sammich on my organic bread is 32 carbs or so. No big deal.

I just eat one sammich instead of two and a large order of fries.

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    It's great to see you all here. I was feeling like the only guy wearing clothes in a nudist colony. :)
  • Calboy2015
    Calboy2015 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I started LC in January and average 65-80g/day. Most of my carbs are from vegetables and dairy. During this time, I went from being diabetic to almost prediabetic (A1c from 7.8 to 5.8) and reduced my Metformin from 1500mg to 500mg. I also lost 17# (It was not my main aim for doing LC. I am at ~21 BMI now).

This WoE has done wonders in short 4-5 months for me, reversing a 13 year old T2.
  • professionalHobbyist
    Options
    Calboy2015 wrote: »
    I started LC in January and average 65-80g/day. Most of my carbs are from vegetables and dairy. During this time, I went from being diabetic to almost prediabetic (A1c from 7.8 to 5.8) and reduced my Metformin from 1500mg to 500mg. I also lost 17# (It was not my main aim for doing LC. I am at ~21 BMI now).

This WoE has done wonders in short 4-5 months for me, reversing a 13 year old T2.

Awesome results!!!
  • mlinton_mesapark
    mlinton_mesapark Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Hear, hear! @Calboy2015
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Thanks, y'all! Feeling less alone now. :-)

Aww, don't say that. We don't want anyone feeling alone or out of place here. We're for all low-carbers. It's just the very-low-carbers tend to talk more about it and be more vocal.

You're one of us. And, as you can see, there are others like you here. They're just quietly doing their thing and ignoring all the noise from the crazies. :wink:
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Initially I was just going to try to be under 100. But usually I end up anywhere between 40-75. On a day where I feel like I really blew it, I'm still usually under 100.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Avg day is ca 100g net. On heavy exercise days with lots of anaerobic work, I eat sushi (rice with erythritol). Main goal is to keep FA, going in or out of ketosis is no problem. As long as it's not for several days in a row or very high carb intake without exercise/fasting.

My insulin sensitivity seems to have improved due to all the exercise combined with lowcarbing. I don't get carb coma after meal anymore. I may feel sluggish, heavy and hungover if binged.

But, I got inflammation in shoulder now, gonna see doc next week. And other nagging stuff. So my next experiment is to try be at 70-ish g with vegs. NO grains!

Besides this, I've never been more fit, feel better mentally, physically than in years on this WOE.
    All those little choices, add up to great results so far!