Hello & Getting Started (how to feel confident in the weight room?)

Options
kkeeaa
kkeeaa Posts: 9 Member
Hello! I'm new to this group, and I just started lifting again.

Anyone have tips on how to feel confident in the weight room? I use my university's gym, and it's always packed with a bunch of ripped guys and one or two girls.

Usually I just grab some hand-weights and leave the weight room for a quieter area and do some free weight work. Does anyone out there have recommendations on how to get started in the actual weight room? I don't even know what workouts to do in there, or what to do with all the equipment. Websites or specific ideas would be awesome, thank you!

Replies

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    For the confidence to go in there, you just kind of have to make yourself do it even if you don't feel like you can. It's the whole "fake it until you make it" concept. Once you have been in a few times, it gets much easier. However, having a plan of attack beforehand will help so you don't wander around aimlessly. Look up beginner lifting programs and pick the one that will work best for you and the equipment you have available. Top ones posted on here tend to be: Stronglifts, New Rules of Lifting for Women, Starting Strength and Strong Curves. Once you have the program, you just follow the lifts on each given day. Like in Stronglifts, day 1 would be squat, bench press, pendlay rows. In New Rules day 1 of the first stage is Squat, push ups, seated row, step ups, and prone jackknife. I don't know the first days in the other two but each has its own layout which helps you know what to do and which equipment to use. Some are available online and some are in book format.

Hope that helps.
  • engodwin
    engodwin Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I love that Dawn says to "fake it until you make it" - that is very true!

I practice my resting B*#$@ Face when I'm in the weight room. :blush: LOL I've found that if I smile (like I normally do) at everyone then people don't take me serious.

IMHO Stronglifts is the easiest starter lifting program. Only a handful of exercises to learn and only three days a week.

I will say that I was completely nervous and anxious the first time I stepped up to a squat rack. But! When I went back day after day and the weights got heavy and people saw me squatting more than my body weight... I didn't need to "fake it" any more. You can do it!!!
  • kkeeaa
    Options
    Thank you both so much! It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who feels out of place at first. I will definitely make sure to practice my resting b*tch face there, haha, and I'll start with Stronglifts. Thanks again!!
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Good. I never did the resting ____ face, but I use headphones and a very old iPod. Since October I have rarely been disturbed by anyone. Most of the time it's just so they can ask if I'm using something or how many sets I have left. Had one give me unsolicited advice on wrist curls but really, it's rare for anyone even to say anything to me at the gym.

Stronglifts is a good starting choice. I did that one first. There is a stronglift women group on here too if you have any questions regarding the program.
  • daaaaaanielle
    daaaaaanielle Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I worked out roughly when the gym I use is quietest and would go then until I felt a bit more confident in myself. It takes a bit of time, but yeah, if you just stick your headphones in and ignore everyone else, eventually you'll feel okay about it!
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    kkeeaa wrote: »
    Hello! I'm new to this group, and I just started lifting again.

Anyone have tips on how to feel confident in the weight room? I use my university's gym, and it's always packed with a bunch of ripped guys and one or two girls.

Usually I just grab some hand-weights and leave the weight room for a quieter area and do some free weight work. Does anyone out there have recommendations on how to get started in the actual weight room? I don't even know what workouts to do in there, or what to do with all the equipment. Websites or specific ideas would be awesome, thank you!

Try to keep in mind that people really aren't paying that much attention to you. That is if it's a gym where people are serious about their workouts!

• ashleyharrison3914
    ashleyharrison3914 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I think most people focus on their own workouts and don't worry you will eventually start to get over that feeling if you just keep it up!
  • stephanyah
    stephanyah Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Earbuds and loud music, just breathe and watch only yourself in the mirror and everybody else will disappear. Also know this: none of those ripped guys are doing it right! Most of them have terrible form and are doing moves that will injure them when they get older. They can get away with sloppy workouts when they're younger but in a few years... Watch out. Focus on good form.
  • MandaLeigh123
    MandaLeigh123 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    After a couple of months going and figuring things out, I actually started talking to the bros in the gym. Getting feedback on my form and asking for a spot on my bench. I was going to my uni gym, and the young guys there seemed happy to help. When I go to Crunch, there are tons of people there... people are still surprised to see me but I just walk with my head up knowing that I'm getting stronger every time I go. Headphones are great. I also keep track of my sets on MFP so while I rest between sets, I enter it into my phone. Sometimes I actually watch videos on youtube of proper weightlifting form since I don't have any friends that lift :-) And it really is true, people are mostly concerned with their own lifts. You'll see people admiring themselves in the mirror ALL the time.
  • hippytee
    hippytee Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Why not try a bodypump class,
  • kkeeaa
    Options
    Thanks so much for the advice, everyone! Sounds like the best thing to do is just get into that 'gym headspace' and do my thing!
  • kkeeaa
    Options
    hippytee wrote: »
    Why not try a bodypump class,

Oh, good idea! Thanks!
  • cheryl2926
    cheryl2926 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    A lot of great advice and support. Honestly, everyone is worried about how they look. Even the pumped dudes. So go in there knowing that you are doing the best for yourself. You are fighting age and gravity. Get comfy now because it only gets harder as you get older.... trust me
  • SaffronSunrise
    SaffronSunrise Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I know how you're feeling. I go to the tiny gym at work and I was still so timid going in there even though there's rarely more than a couple of people in there at a time. I think most people are getting in there workout rather than looking at everyone else, but I know that some gyms are more about meeting up.

I poured over Youtube videos and wrote out a plan for myself. I jumped on the elliptical first so I could check everything out because I didn't want to look like a little deer (well big deer) standing in the middle of the gym looking around. I planned my attack so I'd know which machines I wanted to start with. I'm a big girl with a lot of weight to lose so I think most assumed that I would be sweating it out on the elliptical for 30 minutes then getting out of there. Flash forward to 2 months later & I'm the girl still struggling to lift heavier, but sweating my booty off trying my hardest. I'm the one using the leg extension machine for hamstrings and sitting on the butterfly backwards to work my back. I'm still mostly using dumbbells because we only have a Smith machine and it just feels awkward for me right now, but I do use the Smith (carefully) for leg presses because it doesn't bother my knees as badly as the leg press machine.

I good video to watch is one by Heidi Somers. I think it's called "Complete Beginners Guide to the Gym". She goes over supplements, going to the gym the first time and motivation tips.

Good luck & have fun!!
  • Symone5115
    Symone5115 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Find an enthusiastic workout buddy with similar goals and kill it! I bet there are plenty of gals who feel the same way you do - kind of out of place and not very confident in the weight room. For me that was a big help in college. We really motivated each other and held each other accountable. like seriously... I'd find her at her the dining hall, in the library, in the dorms it was a small campus so it was a constant reminder.
  • cejaibe
    cejaibe Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Exude mental toughness....be strong, push yourself, break a sweat, work to failure sometimes (be careful of injury), be open to advise. When the good guys see you do something unsafe or bad form...believe me, they want to give you tips. Keep your eyes open, you'll recognize them. Watch their form. Hear the cues they give their buddies. Say Hi. Say - hey am I doing this right? Hopefully you'll get a - yup, looks good or a few seconds of instruction, but some don't like to talk while working out - respect that. You joined that gym, be a member of that tribe. Show them you're serious and the respect will come.
  • lenoar
    lenoar Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    i echo all the statements above - ultimately confidence in the weight room comes from knowing you're there to achieve things for yourself, and if anyone wants to pass opinion on that then that's their issue.

RE: starting out, if you want to feel confident quickly in the weights room then familiarise yourself with and practice the main lifts: deadlift, squat and bench. once you feel like youve got the form of those down and you start to see your numbers go up, you'll be filled with confidence to try different exercises for accessory work and it'll go from there. it all depends on what your goals are though, i.e aesthetics, strength, general fitness, all 3?
    i know exactly how it feels to be one of the only girls in the weights room with some massive guys in string vests throwing themselves around - so its good to have a plan of what you want to achieve before you go in so you can plug your headphones in and get to work!