6/6/15

Options
KarenZen
KarenZen Posts: 1,430 Member
Happy Saturday!

Cari, are you still doing low carb/high fat? How's that going? I've really cut back on carbs too and find my body just does better overall.

Today I'm a little panicked as yesterday I finally heard from the race coordinator of the swim race I want to do in July, and I have to do a timed qualifier on Tuesday. I am a mess of pinched sciatic nerves right now and don't know how I'll do it or even if I should try. First step, I suppose, is to get in the water today. I haven't done a real swim in three weeks. The pain has been pretty excruciating, and I just dread facing it again. I really need to work with a physical therapist SOON. Anyway, now that I've typed that out, I realize that I AM going to try, and if I fail, I fail, and if I succeed, I'll do whatever I need to do to make this happen. There. Goal set.

K.

Replies

• KarenZen
    Options
    Well, I'm just going to keep posting since I'm flat on my back with ice packs on my piriformis muscles. As soon as I can MOVE, I'm getting in the lake.

I've been thinking about the last six months of changes and realizing that I've not been "perfect" in my weight loss journey, but I've developed some really good habits! Yesterday was a busy day of running around, and twice I found myself on the verge of eating fast food. The first time, lunch, I chose to go home and make a sandwich and salad instead. The second time, dinner, Jim decided that instead of eating at the Mexican restaurant, we should just grab some Wendy's. We did--I got a small chili and a salad, good choices. Every time I defeat the fast food monster, I move a step closer to my goal of health.

I still struggle with cravings for sweets, but a little fruit usually helps, and if it doesn't, a chocolate protein shake blended with ice is an awesome treat. I wish I could eat chocolate in tiny servings, but I just can't, and so my new good habit of abstinence is working well.

My other new good habit is to keep my hands busy and drink water when I'm feeling restless hunger. Doing crafts like making jewelry (new favorite hobby) is so much more rewarding than stuffing my face. One of my goals for summer is to develop the habit of writing every day.

Icepack time is up. Hopefully I can walk again now without freaking crying! Hope everyone is well and having fun!
    K.
  • catladyksa
    catladyksa Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Gosh Karen, hope you had a better day after you got up! So how was the swim for you ?? I hope you make it for the swim trial, but it sounds like your pain is escalating and it may be too painful. Having said that....sometimes the water is less stress on our body's...so maybe you will feel better.

You also sound like you are doing well with your eating plan!! Great news!! And the lighter you get the better you will feel!!!

I have noticed with the more weight that I put on....the more pressure on my knees and lower back. What a pain!!

I am trying portion control now and have kickstarted my 'walking' daily. So...never give up...never surrender!! (Love that Tim Allen movie.....Galaxy Quest (??).
  • KarenZen
    Options
    Hahaha! Never give up, never surrender! I love that movie too!
  • KarenZen
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I was able to get in the lake on crutches and do a lot of stretching, but I didn't swim. Even after 45 mg. of prednisone, 2 flexeril, and 2 vicodin, the sciatic pain going down both legs was just barely manageable. Jim wanted to drag me to the ER, but I think after I refill my pred script tomorrow, I'll do a heavier dose and then call my GP first thing on Monday.

I may have to face the reality that my swim race isn't going to happen this year. Very sad... But on the other hand, I'll be thinner and hopefully faster next year!

Nancy, is there anything I can do to help you stay motivated? Are you coming back to the states for vacation again or staying in KSA until you leave for good? HUGE move on your part--probably equal parts exciting and terrifying!

How's everybody else doing?
  • catladyksa
    Options
    KarenZen wrote: »

Nancy, is there anything I can do to help you stay motivated? Are you coming back to the states for vacation again or staying in KSA until you leave for good? HUGE move on your part--probably equal parts exciting and terrifying!

Karen...am working straight through...no vacation until late October or 1st of November, leaving for good. I figure the 'cooler' the temperature, the better for the cats to travel in the plane. I can't fly them out between April to early September, due to the heat here!! I am getting quotes on shipping my stuff home via airfreight or sea cargo. Geez...I think I will start to declutter and get rid of even more than I thought I was going to get rid of! I am NOT going to use this 'stuff'!!! So I have some major cleaning still to do!!! As far as motivation...I think I need to just stick to a daily exercise plan...am walking again and will try to up the amount I am doing. I have a treadmill so at least don't have to walk in the heat...already 108 F here!! ouch!! Thanks Karen!
  • KarenZen
    Options
    108???? Oh no! I don't know how you breathe!
    It's 58 here at 10 a.m. Hoping for 70!

We're going out for breakfast shortly. Veggie omelet time, nom nom nom.

I haven't gotten out of bed yet. Keeping fingers crossed that sciatica is better.

Plan for the day is to eat healthy, drink water, and swim. Woohoo! I'm working on my end of month goal of losing another 20 lbs.

Hope everyone is well and busy!
    K.

• KarenZen
    Options
    cd8ba0b44a15c10065fd-ho6ppv4azv0i.jpg
    24461f391e20b7336331d5789078af53.r23.cf1.rackcdn.com/mfp-en.vanillaforums.com/editor/l0/lz54c5eimor0.jpg
    My sister at the Cinncinatti zoo.
    Me wearing my new southern lady sun hat.
  • catladyksa
    Options
    I love the hat and you look GREAT...but don't see your sister!! MIA??
  • KarenZen
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Obviously I have some photo posting issues--I'm sideways!

Can you see a little box that shows a jpg? Click that to see my sister.

AND, I've actually lost 20 pounds since that photo, so I look even more marvelous, lol!!!
  • catladyksa
    Options
    Woo HOO!!! Good on you for your continued weight loss!! Just stick to your eating plan....try not to fall back on bad habits....glad you are trying to stay away from fast food! They can be a killer!! I am a compulsive snacker....so I have tried to rid my place of high caloric food...and this challenge of not eating after 6:30 pm....hope that is motivation for me too!!
  • catladyksa
    Options

Can you see a little box that shows a jpg? Click that to see my sister.

Ahhh your sister and you really look alike!! Both beautiful women!!!!