Ketosis?

Options
_jayciemarie_
_jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
As of today I have lost 20lbs in 1 month and 3 days following LCHF. Every weekend I have had a slip with alcohol and/or carbs. I have never tested myself to see if I reached Ketosis. I may be having a blonde moment (forgive me if I am) is it possible that I don't need ketosis in order to burn fat? I mean, I can't argue with 20lbs lost with what I'm doing. I've read it can take a week or two weeks to turn your body into a fat burning machine and if I screw up once a week, doesn't that time period start all over?

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    IMHO, the "fat burning machine" is mostly a gimmick to get you to try the diet. And it worked, so it's an effective gimmick!

There are benefits to ketosis, including suppression of grehlin -- a hunger hormone. But you don't need ketosis to burn fat. You just need to lower carbs enough to reduce insulin levels in your body -- that's what enables fat to be broken down.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    You burn fat all the time, especially at rest, but the conditions that favour ketosis also tend to maximize fat burn.
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I started at 182.4lbs. I'm at 162.2lbs. Is it possible it's mostly water weight lost? I'm just in awe that I dropped 20lbs in a month. For a healthy bmi I need to be at 154lbs, so I'm even close to goal. (I started CICO back in August 2013. I was 231lbs.)
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    No. The first few lbs are water weight (maybe 4-5lbs). The rest is fat. Low-carb is very effective at weight loss, even without ketosis. Less hunger = eat less = lose fat.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    As of today I have lost 20lbs in 1 month and 3 days following LCHF. Every weekend I have had a slip with alcohol and/or carbs. I have never tested myself to see if I reached Ketosis. I may be having a blonde moment (forgive me if I am) is it possible that I don't need ketosis in order to burn fat? I mean, I can't argue with 20lbs lost with what I'm doing. I've read it can take a week or two weeks to turn your body into a fat burning machine and if I screw up once a week, doesn't that time period start all over?

You will be in ketosis if you eat less than 40-50g carbs a day. If you continue for 2-4 weeks in Ketosis, you body will adapt to its new way of consuming fatty acids instead of carbs. So, I think you're confusing Keto adaptation with Ketosis. If your question is, "Will I not be Keto Adapted, if I have a slip up?" I could only guess. Probably not. There is no way that I have heard of ~ for testing for Keto adaptation. My recommendation is when you fall off the horse, get back on it and ride and don't look back. Try to keep the falls to a minimum.

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan
    It's Ketogenic or Bariatric! How I Found the Ketogenic Diet
    Blog #10 Keto: Abbreviations, Acronyms & Terminology Used on the LCD & Keto Discussion Groups
    Blog #13 DittoDan's Milestone's, First's And Good Changes Since Starting the Ketogenic Diet
    DittoDan's Keto Blogs
    How I got Off of Diabetic Prescriptions Drugs Since I Started Keto
    Blog #11 Really Good Keto Websites
    Low Carb Discussion Group on MFP (LCD)
    Ketogenic Diet Discussion Group on MFP

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar place as you, only I'm almost three months in. I lost a lot in the beginning too, it really slows after that especially since your getting close to goal. You don't have to be in ketosis to burn fat, it sounds like what you're doing is working very well so I'd stick with it.

Great job!
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

Sounds like you're already a fat burning machine! Just keep doing what you're doing - if you stop losing weight and still need to, then consider ketosis as the next step?