Bouncing around weight wise....... grrrrr

Options
tishball
tishball Posts: 155 Member
edited June 2015 in Social Groups
Ok I am only 15 days into this woe, but I have been doing ok, Keeping carbs under 30 the odd time maybe hitting 35, more fat, eating protein. So I should be seeing signs, I am BUT. First week the scales didn't move at all by day six,. I had a woosh on day seven 5lbs down, great. Day 8, up four lbs, water back on again, I am now two lbs off from where I started, I haven't had any binges, why am I not getting rid of this water? It has to be water to fall so fast then raise so fast again, I am eating salt, I know to stick at it, But will I reduce carbs even further? or stay at what I am doing. ( I can do 0 carb , breakfast, and lunch is a little harder but I can do it,) I have to have carbs with dinner, as without veg I don't feel I have eaten a dinner. Even if it is just salad, there has to be something on the plate besides meat. I miss fruit too, and sometimes will have just a little as my carb intake allows.

Replies

• glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Your diary isn't public, so I'll just suggest a few 'extra' things to watch for/try:

1) No artificial sweeteners (Asparatame/Sucralose, even sugar alcohols have an effect on some people)
    2) Drink LOTS of water (yes, to get rid of water!)
    3) Avoid intensive exercise for the time being while you adjust
    4) Not all carbs are created equal. Avoid anything that grows beneath the ground (potatoes/radishes/carrots), eat only green veggies, and try to limit your fruits to avocados and straw/black/raspberries.
    5) Be mindful that you only eat when you're hungry, and chew slowly so you stop when you are really full. Turn off the TV, hide the phone, etc. while you eat so you aren't distracted.
    6) I don't see what kind of fat you're eating or the levels you're reaching. Make sure you look for the fat source first, then protein. Cut the veggie servings in half and drown them in butter.
    7) Don't worry about your calorie limit as long as you're eating when you're hungry and focusing on fats.

Sounds like you're maybe stuck in the SAD way of thinking.. that you "have to" eat veggies and so on. Again, saying what I'm saying based only on your post because your diary isn't public. Anyhow, the first hurdle most new LCers have to deal with is making friends with fat and learning to recalibrate their brain. Veggies aren't a must, fruit is most definitely not a must. I treat them both like indulgences, and feel much better when I focus on animal products.

Hope that helps!
  • tishball
    tishball Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Thanks gloss bones, I should have said I love to have veg with my dinner rather than have to, I like the combination thing. no artifical sweetners, yup, lots of water,yup, excersise not doing anything much, light walking etc. Good point on anything that grows beneath the ground, I was avoiding potatoes, but was eating turnip, and carrotts, and parsnips, will switch those, eating when hungry ok, and the fats I was eating was mostly cheese , butter and beef fat. I will stick at it, the results will happen. I suppose patience is something I need to learn too.
  • AreteAndWhimsy
    AreteAndWhimsy Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I'm a diehard vegetable lover as well. You'll have to pry my brussels sprouts, cabbage, and green beans out of my cold, dead, keto-adapted fingers.

Cut the starchy vegetables out and have a poke around at what your favourites will cost you. I can eat a huge bowl of brussels sprouts or green beans, with butter or cheese or cooked in fat, and it fits in with my day, but only a scant cupful of peas for the same net carb count, and it's not nearly as satisfying. My days of cooking with six onions to a recipe are over, but I've found I can wring a bunch of flavour out of a much smaller amount of a mire-poix like combo of onion, bell pepper, and celery and don't miss the onion alone.

Also, I dropped a tiny bit of weight when I first started, then stalled for a month. It was frustrating, but during that month I lost more than a whole clothing size. Start taking measurements if you haven't already, and just keep on keeping on.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Because of this I was very glad that I didn't even own a scale during my first month or so of low carb. By the time I weighed again, I was down--but what happened before that, I'll never know. If you weigh daily, many ups and downs occur. This is exactly why I decided to put my scale away for the entire month of June. :) Focus instead on how your clothes fit, how you feel before and after eating, and the way you look. Take pictures. I know I avoided cameras except very carefully posed above-the-shoulders shots prior to this WOE because I hated how my body looked, but now I am actively looking for those photos to see the progress I've made. I don't notice it in the mirror as much as I notice it in photographs. Above all, know that you are becoming more healthy. The rest will follow.