Deadlift question

Options
paprad
paprad Posts: 321 Member
I read up on good form for a deadlift and it is recommended the feet go under the bar. My problem is that I am quite short (5'2") and I am using only a 14lb bar with a teeny weight on the side - so the bar is barely off the ground (like it is when they have the huge plates as weights) - I could squeeze my feet under (without shoes), but because it is so close to the ground I have to go fairly low to pick it up - almost like a parallel squat - and so the angle shown in the deadlift instructions is not maintained

What's the best way out of this? Should I find stuff to support the bar on both sides so that the bar is higher off the ground?

Replies

• Luvmichnata
    Luvmichnata Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    yes, you're supposed to have the bar propped up to the same distance a 45lb plate would be.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    either stack weights under the bar or use a cage to get the bar up to the correct height.
  • chocolatecroissant
    chocolatecroissant Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend putting the bar on a step so that you can start at the right height (and avoid arching your back to bend over to lift it)
  • paprad
    Options
    Thanks all, for your advice.

That confirms my doubt. I am doing deadlifts at home so no cage - I will have to look around for 8-9" height stools or blocks to act as props.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I just noticed they have "training plates" at my gym that are very light but get the bar the correct height from the floor. Maybe you could look for that.
  • evedroid
    evedroid Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    you can use your squatracks catchers being dropped at the very bottom?
  • paprad
    Options
    Thanks, I'll check that out.