Radish top soup?

Options
Has anyone made this or tried it? I just got my organic veggie delivery and I'm looking for a way to use the radish tops. (I don't think I'd use the tops of conventional ones.) I found a recipe, and a couple people say it's good even without the cream base, so I think I"m going to try it tomorrow. If you have experience and tips, I'll take them!

Replies

• rendress269
    rendress269 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Never made soup with them. I sauté mine with chard or kale for variety.
  • thisnursewillbehot
    thisnursewillbehot Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I thought about sauteing them with the kale.... but I LOVE soup. Even in this heat & humidity. Does it add a peppery taste to the kale?
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Has anyone made this or tried it? I just got my organic veggie delivery and I'm looking for a way to use the radish tops. (I don't think I'd use the tops of conventional ones.) I found a recipe, and a couple people say it's good even without the cream base, so I think I"m going to try it tomorrow. If you have experience and tips, I'll take them!

I sautée onions, garlic, fresh tomatoes, couple of fresh chiles with radish tops ( or those of beets ) add a can of no-salt black or white beans ( and sometimes a small amount of corn ), season with cumin, pepper ( or smoky paprika ) and then add some broth ( usually vegetable ) and let simmer for ten minutes . You can add a meat product of your choice. I don't, even though I am not a vegetarian, because I don't like meat all that much. When serving, I add a few of spoons of home made Greek yogurt and a couple of spoons of grated radishes, or shredded lettuce. I top it all with chopped cilantro. It's also good with a spritzer of lemon/lime juice.
    It's delicious, fast, cheap, has a good amount of protein, lots of vitamins and minerals and is really high on fiber.
    If you make it soupier and add a couple of eggs, or some egg whites without stirring it makes a very popular breakfast dish here in Mexico, called " huevos ahogados " ( drowned eggs ).

• thisnursewillbehot
    Options
    That sounds AMAZING!!! I am going to have to make that.... sans meat. Yum!
  • thisnursewillbehot
    Options
    Soup was SO good!!!!
    Ang- your dish is next. I have all that including some fresh cilantro that I can't wait to use. mmmmmmmm